Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

1 hour ago, BluebirdXO said:

Completely out of topic, but why people hate L+F so much? I only became a fan after that album. Before that, I was just a casual listener 

people (including myself, I’m people) were really attached to the image of Marina and The Diamonds up until FROOT which was that of a very cheeky, messy but lovable, shady at times, very talented singer songwriter who made fun of youth culture while at the same time partaking in it and curated her project with the utmost precision from the sound to the visuals to the songs everything 

L+F was a HUGE paradigm shift cause she dropped EVERYTHING she had been doing and did a 180 turn on us

No more interesting visuals, no more curated tracklist (she admitted putting together the album after it was already over and coming up with the concept of love + fear last minute which immensely backfired), no more interesting songs (literally nobody outside of the stans remembers Love + Fear or a song on the album), the production is very lacking, boring and generic and the humour is gone

now you CAN and should like the song if you want!!! I’m not here to tell anybody what to like and what not to like

BUT I think it’s impossible not to acknowledge that a huge part of Marina’s artistry was gone with L+F, and basically everybody noticed that. The reviews all say it’s underwhelming and fans alike are not particularly amazed by it. In fact she went as far as to fire her own manager, which was on maternity leave cause she had just had a baby, cause the album underperformed and she wasn’t pleased.

also I think it’s very interesting and it speaks to what actually Marina feels about the album that not even a year after L+F was released she completely dropped the ball while FROOT as an era lasted for well over 3 years, and the same goes for EH (TFJ had a much shorter run but she wasn’t known back then so it’s part of the reason why)

but anyway i really suggest you check out her earlier work cause it’s objectively better musically speaking 

EDIT: i do wanna stress LIKE LOVE + FEAR IF YOU WANT!!! I am well past “hating” on it I just answered a question that I feel I’m particularly apt to answer cause I was one of the people who criticized her the most and it’s what the post was about

2 hours ago, californianfreak said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I think it is brilliant Marina doesn't look at her mentions! Even thought she probably gets thousands of positive mentions for every negative, I personally just don't think it's worth reading them if she knows it is not gonna do her mental health any good. I am happy to hear she is taking care of herself! :flutter:

I seen some of the stuff people tweet @ Marina. It's mostly vulgar and gross. I don't blame her for not reading them. Good for her.

12 minutes ago, Harvie Weinstinez said:

people (including myself, I’m people) were really attached to the image of Marina and The Diamonds up until FROOT which was that of a very cheeky, messy but lovable, shady at times, very talented singer songwriter who made fun of youth culture while at the same time partaking in it and curated her project with the utmost precision from the sound to the visuals to the songs everything 

L+F was a HUGE paradigm shift cause she dropped EVERYTHING she had been doing and did a 180 turn on us

No more interesting visuals, no more curated tracklist (she admitted putting together the album after it was already over and coming up with the concept of love + fear last minute which immensely backfired), no more interesting songs (literally nobody outside of the stans remembers Love + Fear or a song on the album), the production is very lacking, boring and generic and the humour is gone

now you CAN and should like the song if you want!!! I’m not here to tell anybody what to like and what not to like

BUT I think it’s impossible not to acknowledge that a huge part of Marina’s artistry was gone with L+F, and basically everybody noticed that. The reviews all say it’s underwhelming and fans alike are not particularly amazed by it. In fact she went as far as to fire her own manager, which was on maternity leave cause she had just had a baby, cause the album underperformed and she wasn’t pleased.

also I think it’s very interesting and it speaks to what actually Marina feels about the album that not even a year after L+F was released she completely dropped the ball while FROOT as an era lasted for well over 3 years, and the same goes for EH (TFJ had a much shorter run but she wasn’t known back then so it’s part of the reason why)

but anyway i really suggest you check out her earlier work cause it’s objectively better musically speaking 

EDIT: i do wanna stress LIKE LOVE + FEAR IF YOU WANT!!! I am well past “hating” on it I just answered a question that I feel particularly 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, BluebirdXO said:

Completely out of topic, but why people hate L+F so much? I only became a fan after that album. Before that, I was just a casual listener 

I don't hate it, it is my least favourite album of hers: mainly cause it doesn't even feel like a Marina album. 

What I always loved about her is the fact that each album, TFJ EH FROOT, was really ahead of its time and she has her own unique sound that nobody else has, I wouldn't even know how to describe it. Coming from such a strong discography, L+F was disappointing for me cause it felt like she did the bare minimum, which I actually don't even blame her for - everyone has that one mainstream album in their career and she was coming back from a 4 years hiatus so; but the thing is that the only songs that stood out for me were To Be Human and End Of The Earth, I can barely remember the others cause they are too similiar and have a sound that I've already heard million times, it really feels like someone else produced the album and she just sang on it. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved the era, I loved the concept so much and I even saw her live which made me just stan her more, I simply wish that she would've put more of her indistinguishable style/sound in it. 

That's my opinion though, I never dared to criticized Marina on social medias or say something negative about the album cause this is my own personal preference, if Marina's happy with it then it's ok :)! If you like it then it's OK too!! 

13.04.2018 Rome - Lana wore my hat! 

Dying by the hand of a foreign man, Happily
Calling out my name in the summer rain, Ciao amore

47 minutes ago, Harvie Weinstinez said:

EDIT: i do wanna stress LIKE LOVE + FEAR IF YOU WANT!!! I am well past “hating” on it I just answered a question that I feel I’m particularly apt to answer cause I was one of the people who criticized her the most and it’s what the post was about

Hold on ma'am. I agree with everything you said but I personally don't think she fired her former manager because L+F "underperfomed". Marina might be annoying but it's pretty clear she doesn't care about charts and numbers anymore and she's ok with being a flop (and she showed it on L+F era)

Now, I do have to admit that firing your manager while she was on maternity leave is a cruel move though, but we don't know the exact reason why she fired her.

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

4 minutes ago, Loreen said:

Hold on ma'am. I agree with everything you said but I personally don't think she fired her former manager because L+F "underperfomed". Marina might be annoying but it's pretty clear she doesn't care about charts and numbers anymore and she's ok with being a flop (and she showed it on L+F era)

Now, I do have to admit that firing your manager while she was on maternity leave is a cruel move though, but we don't know the exact reason why she fired her.

yeah I will say that part was a bit of a stretch on my part but still I remember seeing her complain about how the album performed after it came out (I don’t recall where but it did happen) 

3 hours ago, DaddyKnows said:

She's receiving a lot of hate comments again.

I’m not saying she deserves it but all the people defending her saying “OMG LOVE + FEAR IS SO GOOOD I DONT GET IT???” are the problem

6 hours ago, Loreen said:

It's not about charts. L+F performed quite well, but it was ill-received by both fans and critics. It's even speculated that L+F Acoustic (+ music videos) was made to please those fans who did not enjoy the production. However, why exactly she fired Jess remains a mystery.

original.gif

honestly i think most of the hate for L+F as a full record is warranted but unfortunate because if she hadn't scrapped the og cover/title then the whole project would be framed differently (and probably would've been more warmly recieved, even if it didn't surpass her first 3 records.)  it's strange because the songs ARE there sometimes, they're more in style with the emotional/sad ballads on froot but they ARE there, but then you mash them in with the more watered-down/"commercial" generic songs and it just doesn't land.  personally i use this tracklisting and i think it works way better as a record, but that's just me.

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_qqpdvhMcBk1wb35v4_500.png

that being said, she needs to get this era together already like man's world is an excellent return to form & all the snippets sound fantastic but at this rate the record will be out in like october... mess.

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

She’s not afraid to let us know she’s not reading any tweets. That includes all the tweets asking what the fuck is going on with this era and the merch people ordered from her that’s been delayed :rip:

Played Starring Role and Teen Idle so much today lmao for some reason I haven't outgrown those songs, maybe I listen to these a ton just once or twice a year but I just really need them maybe forever :defeated: Her voice... The messages... :heart:

I can't wait for her to release her album, I know it will please. The extracts are so beautiful ... Cosmos is a pearl.

What keeps her musical personality and that she does not fall back into strange ways to please everyone.

On the other hand, I always have the impression that Marina has this desire to become an assumed popstar and that she suffers a little from her indie side. It's all to her credit but I hope she won't change (yes I just saw her Instagram for a very long time and her attitude has changed)

3 hours ago, May said:

i can’t believe it’s been almost 5 months since mans world :rip: most artists have an entire album rollout in half of that time :awkney:

she does not care anymore????

remember when she literally had a whole site dedicated to distributing her singles during FROOT? ?? WHWRE IS THAT MARINA

Her story :usrsney: in what universe would ELECTRA FKN HEART be proud of Addison Rae in the lamest tick tock EVER with not even 1 oz of Electra energy... byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee