Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

5 hours ago, urgirl said:

Happy loner mv is not okay. Looks like an anti bullying commercial or something. So cheesy :facepalm:

I think the mv is cute? Just her staring into the camera, some lyrics and random animations. What‘s wrong with that :noparty:

3 minutes ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

wow, I didn't know that Marina is signed with Dollar Tree... Humble queen

she spent the whole budget making candles and that’s why she’s selling them so she can get her budget back

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

3 minutes ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

wow, I didn't know that Marina is signed with Dollar Tree... Humble queen

I wish I had the photoshop skills to make a Dollar Tree Marina album cover..

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

I listened deluxe version and...

Demos are okay

Pink Convertible is great, interesting production, mature EH vibes (some lyrics are cringe btw)

HL and FW could be better. It’s okay but these songs could be better, deserved on better production 

Ugh, none of this improved the album tbh.

Happy Loner is a letdown, Pink Convertible was overrated from the start and Free Woman is as bad as to be expected. The VFT demo is okay but not really special in any way. The ADIAML demo made me like the song less.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

so I share a different opinion to most of y'all. I love all 3 deluxe songs, I relate alot to "happy loner" so that's why the lyrics hit me very much, "Pink Convertible" & "Free Woman" are very catchy and complete the too short 10 track album for me. I agree that the Album would need a different Tracklist but Ancient Dreams is a masterpiece from the beginning to the end. the demo's are cute too. let's pray for physical deluxe editions! 

I like the album overall, but I needed some time. I was disappointed with Pink Convertible, I felt like it lacks of something, but it finally grew on me. Free Woman is my favorite. Both tracks have fantastic instrumentals.  Venus Fly Trap Demo is boring, but ADIAML has this apocalyptic vibe and I find it intriguing. I liked Happy Loner, though forgot about it quickly. I feel like the music video has wasted potential. The editing makes it cheesy. It's sad because she looks GORGEOUS. She should stay with black and white and the color change in the bridge.

Yo, although I'm pretty aware that the album has a lot of things to be improved, mostly the phrasing of some lyrics in the whole record, I was not disappointed because I didn't set my expectations as high as I thought I would. The addition of the three tracks made me appreciate the whole album more than before. I hope she works more on the lyrics for her next album, although production-wise I really loved this one. Particularly the title track, Venus Fly Trap, Pink Convertible, Man's World, Highly Emotional People and New America.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

I gotta agree that lyrically this isn't her best work yet + her old lyricism was more inspired and creative, but I've felt like she wanted to be less straightforward or candid since L+F which kinda disappoints me :/

Anyway, I'm glad for its production bc it's what truly SHINES on this ALBUM :flutter:

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Just saying to remind you that her lyricism was criticised with each era. Even FROOT felt too straightforward compared to TFJ or EH. I just wish she wrote something as symbolic and beautiful as Rootless. That's what Free Woman could've been, but she ended up singing the most basic things in her whole discography, and the production doesn't help either. But I still try to enjoy it because of its important message. The chorus just feels so infantile. At least Happy Loner and Pink Convertible are quite good. It is just funny how y'all seem to say that she stopped writing good songs *after* FROOT. At least one can say that she improved her writing after L+F because ADIAML both lyricism and production feels more like the original Marina we have known than previously, and at least that's a good sign. This would've been a wonderful era but for those breakup ballads about that ginger shithead, that's it. If she needed more inspiration, she could've worked with other musicians just like she initially planned. Imagine a Florence, Lana, Charli, Banks, Tove Lo, Allie, Paloma Faith, or Lily Allen collab about problems that they all face because they're women. Well, at least we got something from Tove Lo on that remix but couldn't they both make a song together? It makes no sense lol.

original.gif

11 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

Just saying to remind you that her lyricism was criticised with each era. Even FROOT felt too straightforward compared to TFJ or EH. I just wish she wrote something as symbolic and beautiful as Rootless. That's what Free Woman could've been, but she ended up singing the most basic things in her whole discography, and the production doesn't help either. But I still try to enjoy it because of its important message. The chorus just feels so infantile. At least Happy Loner and Pink Convertible are quite good. It is just funny how y'all seem to say that she stopped writing good songs *after* FROOT. At least one can say that she improved her writing after L+F because ADIAML both lyricism and production feels more like the original Marina we have known than previously, and at least that's a good sign. This would've been a wonderful era but for those breakup ballads about that ginger shithead, that's it. If she needed more inspiration, she could've worked with other musicians just like she initially planned. Imagine a Florence, Lana, Charli, Banks, Tove Lo, Allie, Paloma Faith, or Lily Allen collab about problems that they all face because they're women. Well, at least we got something from Tove Lo on that remix but couldn't they both make a song together? It makes no sense lol.

i don't think its fair to compare Froot's lyricism to ADIAML

Like, ADIAML is objectively worse on all fronts (talking about the lyricism), for example she rhymes bitch with witch, which is cringe in and of itself, TWICE...

I wouldn't say it's an improvement from L+F, it's just bad in other ways

4 hours ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

I'm just realising how amazing the album would have been if not for the bad lyrics. The production is top tier. 

better lyrics and better melodies too, all the ballads sound the same 

1 minute ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

do ya'll think that marina secretly despises lana? idk why, for no apparent reason i feel like she wishes she was as successful as Lana

i don't think secretly, i think publicly :true:

tbh marina seems to hate everyone :true:

10 minutes ago, the ocean said:

i don't think secretly, i think publicly :true:

tbh marina seems to hate everyone :true:

oh wow, really? I was just theorizing... I made this assumption because Marina was one the people to unfollow Lana following QFTC. It's like as if she was waiting for something bad to happen and was ready to show her hatred. At some point (2017-2018 I believe) they were spending some time together, maybe even teased the collaboration, but then when shit hit the fan, Marina unfollowed her. What's funny is that I believe Lana continued following Marina up until she deleted her IG. Obviously, we don't have all the details about their ''friendship'' but it kind of sounds like backstabbing instead of supporting other women. That's why ADIAML doesn't sound authentic. Singing about empowering women but IRL acting the opposite. Again, maybe I'm reading into things too much.

D.png

19 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

i don't think its fair to compare Froot's lyricism to ADIAML

Like, ADIAML is objectively worse on all fronts (talking about the lyricism), for example she rhymes bitch with witch, which is cringe in and of itself, TWICE...

I wouldn't say it's an improvement from L+F, it's just bad in other ways

better lyrics and better melodies too, all the ballads sound the same 

I'm not trying to compare. Yes, FROOT is indeed better. What I meant is that I just remember how many people didn't like FROOT lyrics and said that she lowered her standards, which can be seen in I'm a Ruin (yeaaah uhhh uuu hyeah), Blue, or Forget [the songs often pointed out; some people don't like Savages too]. FROOT the song is a masterpiece though, lyrically + sonically, I think we can all agree on that.

original.gif

8 minutes ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

oh wow, really? I was just theorizing... I made this assumption because Marina was one the people to unfollow Lana following QFTC. It's like as if she was waiting for something bad to happen and was ready to show her hatred. At some point (2017-2018 I believe) they were spending some time together, maybe even teased the collaboration, but then when shit hit the fan, Marina unfollowed her. What's funny is that I believe Lana continued following Marina up until she deleted her IG. Obviously, we don't have all the details about their ''friendship'' but it kind of sounds like backstabbing instead of supporting other women. That's why ADIAML doesn't sound authentic. Singing about empowering women but IRL acting the opposite. Again, maybe I'm reading into things too much.

also there was the familiar froot moment with charli that seemed otherwise completely out of nowhere