Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

5 hours ago, margaret soty said:

my ranking :hottie:

1. Let the Light In

2. Kintsugi

3. Margaret

4. Candy Necklace

5. A&W

6. Grandfather

7. Paris, Texas

8. Sweet

9. Ocean Blvd

10. The Grants

11. Fingertips

12. Peppers

13. Taco Truck

14. Fishtail

15. Jon Batiste

16. Judah Smith

Go to 'Rank Ocean Blvd' thread & share your thoughts there :awk:

tumblr_olpmx370Gw1rtrj6po1_500.gif

2 hours ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

Have you heard Ultraviolence?

Are you joking? You can hear every syllable on UV- her voice is caked in reverb aswell so it’s impossible.

it’s when her mixing and recording using ole mics became less “polished for sure” but she was veering away from that sound and it added to that album with subtle distortion bringing psychedelic vibes.

I’ll agree on NFR except the production which is muffled as hell like every Jack prod- I don’t even know how I’d define calfornia genre wise because it’s a great song- it’s prod however is a mushy mess where nothing leads. 

i love how the chorus of Grandfather has literally nothing to do with the verses, she's talking about the media and her reputation then randomly starts belting out about her dad going fishing, then goes back to the media and her reputation.

it's catchy but how did we get there baby? gotta love her! 

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

27 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:

i love how the chorus of Grandfather has literally nothing to do with the verses, she's talking about the media and her reputation then randomly starts belting out about her dad going fishing, then goes back to the media and her reputation.

it's catchy but how did we get there baby? gotta love her! 

It’s about the media? :deadbanana: 

I couldn’t hear what she was singing- I  like the melody though 

5 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Adele has a follow up album coming in a few weeks reportedly- I wonder if this will have any effect on Lanas streams

Adele has been... kind of not it recently :stareney3:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

2 minutes ago, margaret soty said:

I've seen everyone share their ranking here, don't tell me what to do gorl.

yea idg people talking about it lol like we should just have tags for posts so you can filter them better (like if you wanted to look at rankings but theyre all over different threads)

omnia vincit amor : LANA DEL REY behind the scenes with interview...

9 hours ago, barttttender said:

I hear ya. Honestly, it's a bit sad when you go from a song like Born to Die with its loud, bangin' production to like Candy Necklace that's super somber and barely audible in comparison. Or when Sir ijumps from Ocean Boulevard to The Weekend. It's like driving from under the sea and into the city. I still like the album a lot, I just wish it was mixed normally.

I assume it can only have been by Lana's choice, as we're told endlessly that every choice in the studio is hers, none are Rick's, Emile's, Jack's, etc., except perhaps on BTD, where some of the production was apparently forced upon her as a new sign to the label. 

I like crisp, clear, direct production, especially on the vocals--that is, to me, where a great deal of her power comes from, especially as Lana is essentially a studio artist, a studio vocalist. I also said that last night in the BB thread.  

21 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Adele has a follow up album coming in a few weeks reportedly- I wonder if this will have any effect on Lanas streams

Considering how massively 30 underperformed- No.

Adele has been doing just a mild variation of the same album for years. :silly:

21 is her magnum opus and rightfully so.

11 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I assume it can only have been by Lana's choice, as we're told endlessly that every choice in the studio is hers, none are Rick's, Emile's, Jack's, etc., except perhaps on BTD, where some of the production was apparently forced upon her as a new sign to the label.

This. To me, this explains why BTD is such a unique part of her discography. She never returned to the sound because it wasn't entirely 100% her choice. She approved it certainly, but I assume that production style pushed her out of her comfort zone and she never wanted to revisit that style.

Edit: I hear a lot of AKA Lizzy Grant in Ocean Boulevard. So, I feel like she's come full circle and BTD was its own island of tracks.

11 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

Considering how massively 30 underperformed- No.

Adele has been doing just a mild variation of the same album for years. :silly:

21 is her magnum opus and rightfully so.

She will not be able to top 21. "Hello" was a moment for the culture but that's about it.