Chris Cuomo

Katy Perry

2 minutes ago, Make me your Dream Life said:

There’s definitely some bandwagoning, but when you think about it, it’s a lot easier to hate on her bc she seems the most like she doesn’t even know what her actual sincere artistry might be. 

It’s obviously wrong, but she doesn’t really seem to know how to market herself as an actual artist, and that’s been hurting her career. If even she wants to continue having one that is. 

She’s marketing herself how she did 15 years ago at her peak, the problem is…..as always, the music landscape has changed and i don’t think people care about her style of brand anymore. It hasn’t evolved.

Even someone like Gaga who isn’t as popular as she was during her peak BTW days has evolved with the times, changed things up, broadened her scope, really made the effort to showcase a level of artistry even outside of music and keep a level of interest from the public. 

I don’t think Katy is interested in doing anything else. 

41 minutes ago, Coney Island King said:

She’s marketing herself how she did 15 years ago at her peak, the problem is…..as always, the music landscape has changed and i don’t think people care about her style of brand anymore. It hasn’t evolved.

Even someone like Gaga who isn’t as popular as she was during her peak BTW days has evolved with the times, changed things up, broadened her scope, really made the effort to showcase a level of artistry even outside of music and keep a level of interest from the public. 

I don’t think Katy is interested in doing anything else. 

I don't think katy's really all that invested in the music either imo. she probably has it easy w the wealth she's already created for herself so it might not really affect her whether the album tanks or not. as someone who's got a soft spot for her from her past stuff, this album comes out uninspired and like she didn't even try. 

her being a triple scorpio you'd think there'd be more oomph or transforming but it all just seems like a hash of what made other pop stars popular. I'm honestly sadly disappointed. where's the intensity? where's the more sincerely sounding vulnerability? her voice still has a sensuality to it but then the music still feels kinda flat. 

and this is me saying more so from a mindful place in that regard. 

FSiy5w3.giftumblr_nv0881L0Od1s4fz4bo1_500.gifVvJr.gif

On 8/22/2024 at 12:54 AM, malifruit said:

OK now that we know Lifetimes tanked I have to say this somewhere... I don't really understand the claim that "Katy gets more shit for working with Luke than anyone else." Rant incoming.

Reveal hidden contents

We all remember the viral article from when Slut Pop released, and Say So got one too. When I look up "Latto Dr. Luke" the first result is an article covering the controversy. I remember seeing dozens (if not hundreds) of disappointed comments in just one thread when Nicki worked with Luke on Super Freaky Girl. So it's not actually new to talk about Luke's involvement in someone's hit song, or to pressure them not to work with him, and it's not surprising that pressure is building with each new artist people slam for it, or with Kesha finally getting free. More eyes are on Luke (& his collaborators) than ever.

IMO, there are two major reasons people are giving Katy more shit than other artists.

1) Katy Perry stopped working with Dr. Luke. There has never been Kim Petras without Luke. Doja Cat signed to him before the case (and dumped him ASAP). Nicki Minaj is married to a sex offender and therefore free of any expectation to be a good person. Latto has been coming up for about five seconds. None of these people are Katy Perry: one of the most famous, successful, and wealthy women alive, whose entire careers were credited to Luke, who then chose to stop working with him in light of the suit. Technically, Katy went on the record as making the call due to fears of backlash, but when she continued not to work with him on Smile, there was room for fans to hope she made a moral decision.

Today, there are dozens of other successful producers in the business, including people she's worked with before. Jack Antonoff. A. G. Cook. Easyfun. George Daniel. Kid Harpoon. Cirkut. Cashmere Cat. Dan Nigro. Ryan Tedder. Benny Blanco. Tame Impala. Jon Bellion. Zedd. Alesso. Fuck it, Max Martin is still kicking! I'm sure if I spent five more minutes researching I could find 20 more names with recent well-received tracks who would've been happy to work with legendary artist Katy Perry to make any kind of music she wanted.

Katy has options. Kim, Doja, and arguably even Latto had reason to feel like they didn't. Katy has made some attempt since the Kesha case to look like she has morals (see: Witness promo). Nicki Minaj hasn't. Even Kim, arguably, has drawn her line in the sand. Nobody expects Kim not to work with Luke anymore, whether it's because she's desperate or doesn't care. Meanwhile, Katy Perry has all the options in the world, coincidentally stopped working with Luke during her #feminist era, and is now back with him. I guarantee you if Doja tried to get back with Luke the feedback would be swift there too. (And, FTR, I think people should continue to pressure every artist who works with Luke to stop doing so. I also think they should pressure Beyonce not to work with The-Dream. I'm pretty sure this is the majority opinion of people criticizing Katy? All support of abusers is bad.)

2) The music is bad. When the music is good, people have something to talk about other than Dr. Luke's involvement. In Katy's case, the music is dull and uninspired, and it's relevant that she got back with the producer who made her great in the '10s only to not be able to make even a single good song with him today. Years and years and years of people claiming this was the brains behind the Katy Perry boom, and even he can't make her succeed in 2024. His involvement is relevant even if you don't consider him a terrible person. And if you do, for better or for worse, it stings even more because "she worked with him and she couldn't even get a good song out of it." It's not like it would be ethically justified if she was making good music or getting bank, but because she's not, it's even more pathetic. She threw away her morals for nothing.

Aaaaaaaaand I'm done. Not saying this about everyone here because it seems like we're on the same page, but it's annoying as hell to have to field this in every other discussion about Katy as if there isn't good (or at least obvious) reason for how people are acting.

inb4 comment on my icon/signature... yeah I know I suffer more than Jesus

Just going to quote myself :makeup: I hope that man dies :umadney:

afd75b92a106afc7ae42e7c6aff46bd6.gif

I'm right after listening to the album. For me, it's a 3/10 record - it's not an entirely terrible thing as there are a couple of enjoyable songs. I feel like it's only in the middle section of the album that the cool stuff happens - CRUSH, LIFETIMES, ALL THE LOVE and NIRVANA are all pleasant to listen, definitely the best songs on the album. In turn, the worst part is the opening sequence all the way until this goddamn awful I'M HIS, HIS MINE ends - I think she tried too hard with these. The closing section is meh-to-mediocre, with ARTIFICIAL being the absolute worst (wtf are these sounds????), TRUTH being tolerable, and WONDER ending the album on quite a positive note. Generally, the album feels uninspired, AI-produced at times, and soulless, but I can think of myself putting some of these middle tracks back on the spin.

The way the exact same middle section (CRUSH, LIFETIMES, ALL THE LOVE and NIRVANA) is where she almost lost me on this album with ARTIFICIAL actually bringing my attention back.:trisha4:
It's not a 30/100 for sure. I feel like 50 to 60 is where it is but that's maybe because I'm into electronic music and production is saving it a bit for me.