Hello Heaven

If LDR AKA LG was signed to a more successful record label...

(As in a more well known label with more funds) how do you think this would affect her career?

I was just wondering about this last night so I decided to make this thread. These are a few stuff I was thinking about:

- Do you think she'd be more successful? + How successful?

- How much marketing do you think would be used.

- Do you think they'd record the album differently? Like different instrumentals.

- If it was successful, how do you think it would effect her career? Would she do something like Born To Die or something more stripped back like AKA?

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

That's a good question. In all honesty It's most likely for her benefit that things worked out the way they did. There are so many bands and artists that sign to a major label that don't make it or sell records and don't make any money due to how record contracts are structured. An advance is just that an advance. Bands have been advanced tens of thousands of dollars for recording and to buy a van to tour and they end up either not making any money or just barely anything and this is without benefits.

I have a feeling that a major label would try to sell her as a Florence and the Machine or Fiona Apple or an Alanis Morrissette. Nothing wrong with that, but the chances for success would have been less since musical tastes tend to run in cycles.

I actually think that "failing" as LG aka LDR was a good thing to happen to her. Gave her a chance to reboot her career. There is no rebooting of a career if you fail with a major label--none.

Things worked out for the best. She got a second chance.

Since her authenticity is always questioned, I feel like working with Interscope might have been a better deal. Typically, artists under Interscope are allowed more creative control than on other labels. Maybe people would've thought it was more of her than a manufactured product? idk

BzhmW.png

I think if her record did work out... things would be very different. And I wouldn't want that tbh.

I do hope they re-release Aka, but I doubt it. Maybe she should slowly start putting two or three songs from AKA on her next records. Like she did with yayo on btdpe

VyIsfwC.jpg

a big part of me wants ldr aka lg to be released again, but then i also think 'what if they butcher it?' *cough diet mountain dew cough*.

but i'm glad she's not on a massive label, i'm happy to have her less well known.

4r9w86.jpg

a big part of me wants ldr aka lg to be released again, but then i also think 'what if they butcher it?' *cough diet mountain dew cough*.

but i'm glad she's not on a massive label, i'm happy to have her less well known.

Universal Music Germany was the first label to sign her with Born to Die and.. well, this is one of the most massive labels, actually.

Universal Music Germany was the first label to sign her with Born to Die and.. well, this is one of the most massive labels, actually.

yes but even so, she's still not as well known as rihanna for example (thankfully).

4r9w86.jpg

yes but even so, she's still not as well known as rihanna for example (thankfully).

Yes, but hey rihanna makes millions. I would be happy for Lana to make that kind of money. I want what's best for her and let's face it selling records like rihanna would set her up for life. If Lana wants to be as big as rihanna and enjoy the success then so be it.

Look at the Beatles, no one says they like them less because they are the biggest rock band in history.

But that has nothing to do with the label in this case. Lana as a mainstream and popular music act noticed by a big audience has been around for how long now? A little more than a good year. Rihanna, on the other hand, has been around for way longer than her.

Kahne is a "bigger" producer than Emile Haynie. Also, AKA is not more "stripped back" than BtD, it's just produced (and engineered) differently.

Those are different scenarios. There has been talk of AKA being rereleased, not rerecorded.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I don't think Lana would end up where she is now.

I think if she were signed to a major label, under Lizzy Grant, with LDR AKA LG, she'd be more rockish. I don't know why, but AKA seems pretty 'rockish' to me the label would kind of alter her. As for the production AKA I think would just be more unique I guess. But thankfully for BTD she is where she is now. She would have skipped all of this.

That's what I'm afraid of the most because, to me, the production in AKALG is perfect in the way it is now and so versatile compared to BTD. It's my favorite Lana album, so of course, I'd love it to receive the attention it deserves, but not at the cost of ruining my favorite songs.

I think with a bigger and all more together set up behind it she definitely would have built quite a name for herself with the record and attracted a v. Different fan base, one she may have been more comfortable with

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I think with a bigger and all more together set up behind it she definitely would have built quite a name for herself with the record and attracted a v. Different fan base, one she may have been more comfortable with

Completely with this do I agree. She wouldn't have had the same "Indie Girl Turned Pop Sensation/Fraud" status, and would be making music that would be appreciated by a very different audience than it is now.

Haynie's overall production on BTD is what really brings the tracks together, I think. Personally, I would love to hear how he'd treat some of the AKA tracks. I think she could incorporate Yayo, Mermaid Motel, and maybe another into a live setlist but I'm so sure she will not.

Yes, but hey rihanna makes millions. I would be happy for Lana to make that kind of money. I want what's best for her and let's face it selling records like rihanna would set her up for life. If Lana wants to be as big as rihanna and enjoy the success then so be it.

Look at the Beatles, no one says they like them less because they are the biggest rock band in history.

how do you know it would be best for her exactly? she can hardly cope with american critics.

Kahne is a "bigger" producer than Emile Haynie. Also, AKA is not more "stripped back" than BtD, it's just produced (and engineered) differently.

Those are different scenarios. There has been talk of AKA being rereleased, not rerecorded.

but you can gaurentee that it'll be tampered with, i'm guessing that the original songs would be treated like demos. i don't trust producers.

That's what I'm afraid of the most because, to me, the production in AKALG is perfect in the way it is now and so versatile compared to BTD. It's my favorite Lana album, so of course, I'd love it to receive the attention it deserves, but not at the cost of ruining my favorite songs.

THANK YOU. this is exactly what my concern is to. and no matter what people say, it's about doing what's best for the fans.

4r9w86.jpg

A lot of these speculations seem to be leaving no room for evolving naturally. It's not as if there was one course or another for her career, each following one, rigid line. BTD being her major label debut doesn't mean she's just going to churn out a variation of that sound/style every year or two, just as there's no reason to believe that she'd be releasing a variation of AKA every year or two had that record been released on a major.

Typically, artists under Interscope are allowed more creative control than on other labels. Maybe people would've thought it was more of her than a manufactured product? idk

I just came across this article and thought it was relevant to this and pretty funny: M.I.A. Album Delayed Because Label Thinks It's Too Positive. Don't know how truthful she's being though.

She wouldn't have had the same "Indie Girl Turned Pop Sensation/Fraud" status, and would be making music that would be appreciated by a very different audience than it is now.

It was actually the opposite, which is baffling. If you recall, when the media was blowing up at the end of last year with all of the "exposés" about her, their bizarre and totally unfounded claim was that she was toiling away in obscurity as a kind of pop princess that was now trying to erase her past and garner "indie cred." Uhhhhhh...

but you can gaurentee that it'll be tampered with, i'm guessing that the original songs would be treated like demos. i don't trust producers.

There is no guarantee of that. Again, that wouldn't be a rerelease, it would be a rerecording of the album, and all of this talk would then be moot. AKA is a completed, released album with a big name producer, not a collection of demos. If the album is going to be rereleased then it's going to be rereleased. The only possible change that could be done to it while still constituting a rerelease is the album being remastered. Anything else being done to it is another story. The one time she mentioned anything (i believe there's only been one mention of it, right?) she said it would be rereleased, she didn't say she was redoing the record. And remember that the rights to the original recordings have been bought by her/Interscope.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

That's a good argument! Rihanna is of course top of the tops when you look at her amount of sold/downloaded copies,

but I deeply doubt that Riri is a happy person!

Lately she's quite often drunk or stonded...think about those pictures on twitter.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lovelanalikelife ♥Music For Lana&Lana's Fans♥