Elle

Grammy Awards 2024 - Lana Del Rey Nominated for 5 Awards

Here is another blind ballot

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/music/blind-ballots-grammys-2024/

Spoiler

Album of the Year
Very packed category. Really love the efforts from Lana Del Rey and Boygenius, but I decided to reward them in other categories in their genre. I also feel like, in most cases, the big winner should be an album that genuinely changed the culture. While I would’ve voted for Taylor Swift or Olivia Rodrigo in any other year, my heart had to go with SZA. SOS is just a phenomenal record and it’s been my playlist for this past year. It would be more exciting for SZA to win than for Swift to win yet another big prize too.

Record of the Year
I had a hard time with this category, especially because I truly love all eight nominees. Ultimately was between “Flowers”, “Kill Bill”, and “Vampire” for me, but I went with the latter because I realized I hadn’t chosen Rodrigo anywhere else. I would be more than content with any winner, though. And shout of to us for getting some truly inspired picks nominated – loved those Boygenius and Victoria Monét mentions.

Song of the Year
This category is for songwriting, and no song pulled me in lyrically more than “Kill Bill”. I think it’s such a clever piece of music. The bridge is my favorite music moment of the year, just feels like the perfect release for all the tension the song’s built up. A close second here would’ve been Lana Del Rey’s “A&W”, but I just have to go with SZA.

Best New Artist
I love a couple of artists here, so the decision was hard. While I get that Coco Jones and Noah Kahan have had admittedly big years, my favorite release from anyone here was Victoria Monét’s Jaguar, so I went with her. I like Ice Spice more than the most but no way she wins a Grammy.

Best Pop Solo Performance
Here I went with “Flowers”, which I just think is a crowning moment in Miley Cyrus’ career. I was actually a big fan of her pandemic release, Plastic Hearts, and I feel like this song in particular fits the level of excellence that album had. Hope it doesn’t go to Swift – she can win elsewhere.

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
This category is surprisingly good despite not having a runaway frontrunner or huge hits. I actually don’t hate “Karma”, but being a younger voter, I know when song’s are not respected by fans or the internet. I feel like part of our job as members is to keep the integrity and reputation of NARAS. Went with SZA’s “Ghost in the Machine“; I think it would be a good winner, it’s my favorite here, and it’s a song anyone can celebrate. The blend of R&B and indie music truly works great.

Best Pop Vocal Album
This is the category where I give Taylor Swift her flowers. Midnights just truly ruled the music world, and I think it’s an amazing release. I was truly inspired by some of the album tracks too. Really big fan of GUTS too, but that’s not much of a pop album anyways.

Best Pop Dance Recording
Didn’t like a lot of these songs, but I’ve been a fan of Troye Sivan’s work for a while, thus voted for “Rush“. As long as it isn’t Coi Leray and Anne Marie…

Best R&B Performance
I adore “Kill Bill”, but I decided to go with Coco Jones for “ICU” here. I would really hate for her to get snubbed, and I think she delivers a hell of a performance in that track. Sure SZA will win elsewhere too.

Best R&B Song
How can you not go with “Snooze” here? It’s such a classic R&B tune. Really dig how the song feels equally like a SZA *and* a Babyface song. “On My Mama” is amazing too, “Back to Love” is classic Glasper, but I just had to go with “Snooze”.

Best Traditional R&B Performance
Hard category but I went with “Love Language” for the win. It was my favorite deep cut from that record, so I was happy to see it getting nominated. Not a massive fan of that Victoria Monét song, it’s my least favorite off the album and I would’ve gone with “Smoke” or “Goodbye”.

I still feel good about her winning one of the alternative categories. 

How is he still holding onto the SNL performance? She's made 8 albums / a poetry book since then and has significantly shaped the culture. Fiona Apple is dull? Boy Genius is decent? He voted for Taylor because she's "the face of music"?! I know the Grammys are mostly a popularity award but what in the actual fuck.....

Edited by mindofyouwithmeTHANKU1moretime
spelling

Tumblr

8 hours ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

I’m sure he didn’t vote for Jon Batiste when he won Album of the Year in 2022 either :whatever2: Idk I’m not gonna pay any mind to some random dude who decided to share his votes and shitty opinions. Lana will be getting her Grammys this weekend :true:

hyz6.gif

We know that already that Ocean Blvd is better than Midnights and Endless Summer Vac but it's also better than SOS (although it's good too), The Record, and GUTS (sorry but it's the most overrated one here...) too. 

url%5D

1 minute ago, Embach said:

Who gets the right to vote? Music critics? Random people? Musicians?

Grammys has more than 12,000 voters, they’re members of the academy, and they all active in the music industry ( musicians, engineers, lyricists, and producers ) 

4 hours ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

Blind ballot from Golderby:

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/music/blind-ballot-2-grammys-2024/

Interesting :oprah3:.

Very interesting that he didn’t vote for Lana because he didn’t like her SNL performance. What a joke that a clown on this level is given authority on an even this size

these old timers again lmaooo imagine 2024 and ur still holding on to a 2012 performance... It's giving personal, nothing professional here 

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

these blind ballots are living truth that the grammys award popularity over music quality. the only justification they give for awarding taylor swift or others is that it 'ruled the music world' and makes no mention of the artistry or intricacy of the music they’re awarding lmfao :brigitte:

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

31 minutes ago, Black to Blue said:

IMG-4684.jpg

IMG-4685.jpg

the demands wtf :tiffany2: too Americanized imo, international artists and independent artists have like 0 chance wtf

url%5D

I feel like I’m being gaslit anytime someone says SOS is AOTY or even more than a 6/10 album… over half of the album is so forgettable

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Can we like start a petition if Lana doesn't win any of those awards? Like is there a way to dispute the results. Because I don't know what I am going to do if she doesn't win at all. Grammys are not thst relevant anymore but it's still the highest award in the music industry, like Pulitzer in literature industry, Oscar in film industry and Tony in theatres :tea:

url%5D

The SNL comment is heinous and shallow, but probably representative of how the industry still sees her. I'm just saying if you're getting your hopes up for AOTY you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The normies will never truly get Lana, and that's just the way it is. For me, I'm just hoping she finally gets a statue with the alternative music performance award, and I only care because I know it means a lot to her.