Elle

Lasso - Pre-Release Thread: OUT September 2024

16 minutes ago, DYKTTAHOLB said:

I hope this country album is scrapped and we get something different. Hell, I'd be happy with a Blue Banisters part 2 rather than whatever "country" album Lasso will be. 

Also, I have not listened to Tough since I watched the music video. 

I want her to use a harp again, a flute or bongos 
Though I don't think these are typical country or southern gothic instruments but Lana can make it work :true:

Also as usually manifesting electric guitar :pray2:

It's actually really exciting that we will hear the first single this month or in October if we are lucky and  finally getting a glimpse of the sonic soundscape of Lasso. Even though it got described as country and southern Gothic I think we all don't really know what to expect. Lasso autumn we are ready for you:charli:

j9Fpjea9OY.webp

"Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon."

1 hour ago, Pico Ocean Boulevard said:

I want her to use a harp again, a flute or bongos 
Though I don't think these are typical country or southern gothic instruments but Lana can make it work :true:

Also as usually manifesting electric guitar :pray2:

It's actually really exciting that we will hear the first single this month or in October if we are lucky and  finally getting a glimpse of the sonic soundscape of Lasso. Even though it got described as country and southern Gothic I think we all don't really know what to expect. Lasso autumn we are ready for you:charli:

Oh god claiming Yosemite vibes :trisha:

8 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

I actually quite enjoyed Country Roads, it was a cute little droplet but don’t need it on an album or anything 

Country Roads is the only song of hers I really can’t stand. I love the original so much and it is one of those songs that never needs to be covered. It really shouldn’t have been done. I am dreading the possibility of it being on lasso, along with Stand by your Man and the Prettiest Girl in Country Music. I really hope the album is taking a different direction because I could not have a Lana album with that many skips. 

9 hours ago, Liz Taylor Blues said:

I agree with all of this though I would just like to point out as the resident CLove Expert  that Courtney was joking when she said she unstanned over that cover. In the original context it was clearly not serious, though she is a huge John Denver stan so it would not surprise me if she didn't care for the cover. She praised Lana not once but three times in Courtney Love's Women her BBC6 podcast which premiered around the same time in April (And is amazing. 10 hours long and worth every second. Even if you can't stand CLove its an excellent history of woman in music and an excellent playlist.)  She said she cut back on listening to Lana bc she finds her too inspiring and she is presently working on the longest album in rock and roll history with Video Games producer  among others. Wants to differentiate from one specific muse. 

That said, I FOR ONE DID NOT LIKE COUNTRY ROADS.  Its fine a thing covers should never be. Brilliant or bad. It should always add to, recontextualise, or highlight the quality of the original. Covers are a conversation and the CR cover did not have anything to say IMO

I follow Lana on Google News and received this in my feed from New Musical Express in April from a Courtney Love interview: "I haven’t liked Lana since she covered a John Denver song, and I think she should really take seven years off,” said Love. “Up until ‘Take Me Home, Country Roads’ I thought she was great. When I was recording my new album, I had to stop listening to her as she was influencing me too much.”

As I've said here before, it's ironic that Lana sang about John Denver's authentic vocal style on The Grants but then released a tepid cover of Country Roads that sounded like little more than a run-through or something like a road trip singalong. What was the point? If it was the first track of hers I ever heard, I wouldn't have bothered exploring her as an artist. 

I didn't care for Season of the Witch, which she didn't do anything interesting or fresh with. 

I neglected to add You Must Love Me among Lana's covers that I do like. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Chickacherrycola said:

Country Roads is the only song of hers I really can’t stand. I love the original so much and it is one of those songs that never needs to be covered. It really shouldn’t have been done. I am dreading the possibility of it being on lasso, along with Stand by your Man and the Prettiest Girl in Country Music. I really hope the album is taking a different direction because I could not have a Lana album with that many skips. 

I agree—Country Roads is such a classic—as several of Denver's songs are—that it's almost foolhardy to attempt it. You might as well try to cover A Change Is Gonna Come, Stairway to Heaven, Bohemian Rhapsody, Cornflake Girl, or Lover, You Should Have Come Over

I can see Lana attempting it in the studio, but when it falls as flat as it did, why release it? Maybe she tried it several ways, with big instrumentation, etc., and the released version was the best. 

37 minutes ago, somber said:

THE ALBUM ART FOR LASSO JUST LEAKED ON GOOGLE!!! OMG 

I think it’s beautiful

rZxvU2H.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chickacherrycola said:

I really hope the album is taking a different direction because I could not have a Lana album with that many skips. 

Me talking about NFR :gasp:

Now is the perfect time for a proper bit of info on Lasso! Drop a single, tell us how you can't wait to share more of the country sound and perform these new songs for us at Stagecoach next year.