Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

This is the SECOND time in a row Lana has skipped Canada on her tours. She used to come here all the time :deadbanana: :deadbanana: I really wanna see her :poordat:

Tours? The only time she did tours were the paradise tour+ american leg and the endless summer tour.

i76mrxw.png 

Okay here it comes, I don't know if in the 200 and so pages someone already brought it up but I don't like how lana continuously uses the title of her song as the main lyrics of her choruses, I'm not saying she shouldn't do it, probably she actually does it purposefully and it is me who doesn't *connect* to it so as an artist who knows better she can do as she pleases, but honestly I'd love it if she'd use it less 

like in UV and HM title tracks i can understand the use of repetition because the words "ultraviolence" and "our honeymoon" are actually evocative and the way she sings it actually puts me in the right ambiance and imo she does it best in Sad Girl because the sad/bad girl litany has this pathetic registry to it so it triggers something emotional to me but in the next track the PWYC chorus doesn't have that effect any more and more blatantly i almost hate it in G&R, the song is well structured, i love her voice and the instruments - if she could just add two worlds to the chorus to make it somewhat like a sentence or something more sophisticated i'd love it  because repeating g&r doesn't cut it to me and it happens again in white mustang, a song i could be in love with but again the rhetorical device that makes the title repeat in the chorus frustrates me. maybe the apparition of his white mustang triggers something deep in her and probably makes her heart skip a beat but i don't relate and it leaves me wanting more from the track and i'm left with no satisfaction 

and in L4L it's even worse but it fascinates me that she doesn't seem to do it in BTD (if i recall correctly, by memory)

sorry lana  :noparty:

It would be nice if she had the ability to write a chorus but it seems to have escaped her. Even when she does do more than repeat the title we get 'My cherries and wine, rosemary and thyme, and all of my peaches'

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

It would be nice if she had the ability to write a chorus but it seems to have escaped her. Even when she does do more than repeat the title we get 'My cherries and wine, rosemary and thyme, and all of my peaches'

yep what bothers me is that i think she could write a good chorus if she were less lazy but it as if she foregoes that for the sake of her beloved trope which she can't move on from, i mean i understand she has somewhat of an obsessive personality reusing the same lyrics and such in many songs; it could be an innocent good artistic choice but sometimes if feels like recycling -.-  

literally the only way i can accept the chorus of g&r is if i interpret it like a warped antanaclasis 

he loves guns & roses (he likes guns and roses)

he loves g&r (he likes danger/excitement but also beauty/nature)

guuuns and roses, roses, ... (her love interest is bi or pan because some people have guns between their tights and others have roses  :yesnod: and he loves all)

Okay here it comes, I don't know if in the 200 and so pages someone already brought it up but I don't like how lana continuously uses the title of her song as the main lyrics of her choruses, I'm not saying she shouldn't do it, probably she actually does it purposefully and it is me who doesn't *connect* to it so as an artist who knows better she can do as she pleases, but honestly I'd love it if she'd use it less

like in UV and HM title tracks i can understand the use of repetition because the words "ultraviolence" and "our honeymoon" are actually evocative and the way she sings it actually puts me in the right ambiance and imo she does it best in Sad Girl because the sad/bad girl litany has this pathetic registry to it so it triggers something emotional to me but in the next track the PWYC chorus doesn't have that effect any more and more blatantly i almost hate it in G&R, the song is well structured, i love her voice and the instruments - if she could just add two worlds to the chorus to make it somewhat like a sentence or something more sophisticated i'd love it because repeating g&r doesn't cut it to me and it happens again in white mustang, a song i could be in love with but again the rhetorical device that makes the title repeat in the chorus frustrates me. maybe the apparition of his white mustang triggers something deep in her and probably makes her heart skip a beat but i don't relate and it leaves me wanting more from the track and i'm left with no satisfaction

and in L4L it's even worse but it fascinates me that she doesn't seem to do it in BTD (if i recall correctly, by memory)

sorry lana :noparty:

Now waaaiiit a minute, she sounds perfect in Pretty When You Cry. :crossed: That's why I forgive her for repeating the words in the chorus - I can literally feel her pain.

But I do agree with White Mustang, it's the main reason why I don't like the song so much. It must mean a lot to her *cough*G-easy*cough* but it doesn't work on me. =/ Although the instrumentals for WM is great. Same with the chorus for Guns & Roses, but it sounds so like being in a dream world so I still think it's ok.

But you made me think of her unreleased tracks... was she very repetitive in them too? "Ooh ooh baby" is stuck in my mind at the moment so I can't really get any other to compare with... xD Can you think of any unreleased song where she used the same words all over? Maybe they were more pop than her songs are today and used more words, I dunno.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Now waaaiiit a minute, she sounds perfect in Pretty When You Cry. :crossed: That's why I forgive her for repeating the words in the chorus - I can literally feel her pain.

But I do agree with White Mustang, it's the main reason why I don't like the song so much. It must mean a lot to her *cough*G-easy*cough* but it doesn't work on me. =/ Although the instrumentals for WM is great. Same with the chorus for Guns & Roses, but it sounds so like being in a dream world so I still think it's ok.

But you made me think of her unreleased tracks... was she very repetitive in them too? "Ooh ooh baby" is stuck in my mind at the moment so I can't really get any other to compare with... xD Can you think of any unreleased song where she used the same words all over? Maybe they were more pop than her songs are today and used more words, I dunno.

yeah i think she sounds great too and in that song it doesn't bother me that much because i know it serves a purpose (she's being very emotional and we get an interesting glimpse into her inner world, basically her toxic relationships makes her feel anxious while she falls into a whirlwind of insecurities so i can understand that her poor soul feels haunted, her brain repeats her jabs again and again; it's sad and it helps me feel her pain) but i still have a personal negative bias i can't shake off  :pft: . I'm listening to AKA rn and she does the ray-ray ray raise me up, which i'm kinda okay with tbh?. 

For the rest I can't be harsh on her on her unreleased tracks because it's difficult to criticise negatively something that wasn't meant to be broadcasted and she's careful with this trope in BTD, i have a hard time with this figure of speech when it's not cathartic or she doesn't use it to show off her vocal prowess when the verse is full of vowels, especially since to begin with i have a difficult time relating to lana's lyrics (but i relate to her emotions and everything else about her i like really). Like I said I'm pretty sure this dude's white mustang is triggering for her, but not for me so it slightly spoils the song for my taste. I feel L4L could feel much more polished if she avoided doing that in the title track and white mustang.

I honestly expected her live performances to get fewer and far between, since she's been so very... safe and casual in her performances of late. Half assed dress, loud backing track, randomly stopping singing in certain places, same old set lists and when was the last time she pushed a boundary e.g. belting heart-shaped box? I just hope she ups her game for the world tour.

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

But .. Love and lust For Life don't fit the rest of the record at all. They feel like they belong to another album

They fit better if you let the album begin from 13 Beaches and then just place LFL inbetween Groupie Love and In My Feelings, then Love inbetween Change and Get Free.

like in UV and HM title tracks i can understand the use of repetition because the words "ultraviolence" and "our honeymoon" are actually evocative and the way she sings it actually puts me in the right ambiance and imo she does it best in Sad Girl because the sad/bad girl litany has this pathetic registry to it so it triggers something emotional to me but in the next track the PWYC chorus doesn't have that effect any more and more blatantly i almost hate it in G&R, the song is well structured, i love her voice and the instruments - if she could just add two worlds to the chorus to make it somewhat like a sentence or something more sophisticated i'd love it because repeating g&r doesn't cut it to me and it happens again in white mustang, a song i could be in love with but again the rhetorical device that makes the title repeat in the chorus frustrates me. maybe the apparition of his white mustang triggers something deep in her and probably makes her heart skip a beat but i don't relate and it leaves me wanting more from the track and i'm left with no satisfaction

sorry lana :noparty:

Thx for ruining all these songs for me bc I never noticed before

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

Thx for ruining all these songs for me bc I never noticed before

it's the collateral damage of an unpopular opinion thread  :creep:  :creep: leave it be, she flexes her voice all right during those vowels: maybe in a couple months time you'll come back to those songs and love them more and think this was all ridic, not everything must be fast paced words 

I think Lana should have chose Dark Paradise demo instead of the album one. This one:

although the production is more interesting the lyrics don't make any sense and the final version fits the album better.

HOWEVER I think the european radio mix is much better and could have replaced the album version

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

although the production is more interesting the lyrics don't make any sense and the final version fits the album better.

HOWEVER I think the european radio mix is much better and could have replaced the album version

True. With some songs, I enjoy the early versions more than the final ones (National Anthem and TIWMUG in particular), but they would've just sounded weird on Born To Die without Emile's production, IMO.

I also think that the extended radio mix of Summertime Sadness should've been on the album, it would've been the perfect closer. :suicide:

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

True. With some songs, I enjoy the early versions more than the final ones (National Anthem and TIWMUG in particular), but they would've just sounded weird on Born To Die without Emile's production, IMO.

I also think that the extended radio mix of Summertime Sadness should've been on the album, it would've been the perfect closer. :suicide:

The radio mix of Summertime Sadness is much better anyway, with this stripped back chorus towards the end. Ut yeah, would have made a great closer!

I think she should have chose this one.

the lyrics are still not making sense and the sound, although seemingly good (her vocals are terrible here), would not have fit BtD

The lyrics can be made to make sense lol Maybe she was falling in love with someone who was already dead. OR, he wasn't dead at all. Just a terrible person. Idk. I just loved the lyrics.

The lyrics can be made to make sense lol Maybe she was falling in love with someone who was already dead. OR, he wasn't dead at all. Just a terrible person. Idk. I just loved the lyrics.

The way they are on the album version is the most logical version though. The lyrics from this performance and the demo version are just all over the place