Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Lana needs to stop attempting to giving her songs any kind of meaning that extends beyond descriptive imagery or expressing her immediate feelings over her romantic/personal experiences until she is prepared to give any other subject matter the attention it apparently deserves. She has explored coming to terms with her own mortality, her post-fame 'fall' into darkness, having a borderline abusive (or BDSM) relationship, and following a cult leader all in such a half-assed way that these themes just seem to be backdrops for the same boring narrative about being obsessively in love with someone (which doesn't necessarily have to be boring, btw). 'Carmen' is the only song since Born to Die I can think of in which she doesn't revert to this.

Lana needs to stop attempting to giving her songs any kind of meaning that extends beyond descriptive imagery or expressing her immediate feelings over her romantic/personal experiences until she is prepared to give any other subject matter the attention it apparently deserves. She has explored coming to terms with her own mortality, her post-fame 'fall' into darkness, having a borderline abusive (or BDSM) relationship, and following a cult leader all in such a half-assed way that these themes just seem to be backdrops for the same boring narrative about being obsessively in love with someone (which doesn't necessarily have to be boring, btw). 'Carmen' is the only song since Born to Die I can think of in which she doesn't revert to this.

She doesn't shape her discography and create it all specifically to cater to what you want. Complain to yourself, nobody REALLY cares.

She doesn't shape her discography and create it all specifically to cater to what you want. Complain to yourself, nobody REALLY cares.

This is the unpopular opinions thread, so you are actually the one behaving off.

He stated that Lana's lyrics are kind of limited, which is something that's hard to turn down. If you like them or not, it definitly suprises if a song is NOT about love in one or the other way. Multiple people, critics or fans have brought it up, so he seemingly has a point.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

This is the unpopular opinions thread, so you are actually the one behaving off.

He stated that Lana's lyrics are kind of limited, which is something that's hard to turn down. If you like them or not, it definitly suprises if a song is NOT about love in one or the other way. Multiple people, critics or fans have brought it up, so he seemingly has a point.

Sure, but if someone feels like her WHOLE discography is limited in a negative way then there's no point even being on an LDR forum.

i find it quite ironic that that album that the fandom generally dislikes the most is the one that was most critically acclaimed. I mean, honeymoon got the highest Metacritic rating and Anthony Fantano actually gave it above a 3 in his review. 

Also, I MUCH prefer Nina Simone's rendition of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. Lana just seems so lifeless and there is no real emotion in her vocals, and the instrumental is just weird with that annoying organ bit. 

Sure, but if someone feels like her WHOLE discography is limited in a negative way then there's no point even being on an LDR forum.

It seems that you take what I see as Lana's chronic songwriting flaws way more seriously than I do. To me the mark of respecting an artist as a human being and not some divine God or Goddess is the ability to criticize them freely and without restraint, kinda like how the mark of a true friend is someone who you can tell to fuck off when you don't like their behavior. Many of Lana's detractors often accuse her fan base of having an apologist fangirl mentality and I like that this forum proves the very opposite of that claim. I mean, what is admiration even worth when there's no chance that it may be challenged by the same degree of criticism?

Btw, I don't think I have ever listened to an artist who didn't have at least one weakness present throughout their whole discography, and I'm cool with that. I wasn't aware that the point of being on a fan forum is to collectively bask in an artist's consummate perfection.

i find it quite ironic that that album that the fandom generally dislikes the most is the one that was most critically acclaimed. I mean, honeymoon got the highest Metacritic rating and Anthony Fantano actually gave it above a 3 in his review. 

Also, I MUCH prefer Nina Simone's rendition of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. Lana just seems so lifeless and there is no real emotion in her vocals, and the instrumental is just weird with that annoying organ bit. 

It's not always about how polished an album truly is, as one might have heartfelt feelings for the BTD/UV Lana purely due to her thematic/melody at the given time, and simply not consider her latest work on par with the foregone work. It's only natural, and I really can't fathom that the people in here unanimously turn down HM for its elements and intrinsic sound, it's just the matter that you've come across the ones that consider UV her best, who knows. Just because critics love something doesn't mean you're designated to only follow their preference and not have anything antithetical.

obUZKpb.gif

It seems that you take what I see as Lana's chronic songwriting flaws way more seriously than I do. To me the mark of respecting an artist as a human being and not some divine God or Goddess is the ability to criticize them freely and without restraint, kinda like how the mark of a true friend is someone who you can tell to fuck off when you don't like their behavior. Many of Lana's detractors often accuse her fan base of having an apologist fangirl mentality and I like that this forum proves the very opposite of that claim. I mean, what is admiration even worth when there's no chance that it may be challenged by the same degree of criticism?

Btw, I don't think I have ever listened to an artist who didn't have at least one weakness present throughout their whole discography, and I'm cool with that. I wasn't aware that the point of being on a fan forum is to collectively bask in an artist's consummate perfection.

Stopped reading here, completely irrelevant response. I said nothing about my own thoughts on her songwriting. Nobody is above anyone and that thought alone is completely stupid, some people are just known. The fact is if you wanna just moan about her entire discography, this ain't the place. Also, COMPLAINTS spanning everything she's ever released versus OPINION are completely different things. An opinion can be good to read, a full on criticism is just overdone and nobody but the person themselves cares. There is a difference between an "unpopular opinion" being "this song is better than this one imo" "this is her best album imo" "i dislike this really liked song tbh" and "her discography has limited songwriting". It's just unnecessary. It's your own personal complaint, to which there is absolutely no response.

Stopped reading here, completely irrelevant response. I said nothing about my own thoughts on her songwriting. Nobody is above anyone and that thought alone is completely stupid, some people are just known. The fact is if you wanna just moan about her entire discography, this ain't the place. Also, COMPLAINTS spanning everything she's ever released versus OPINION are completely different things. An opinion can be good to read, a full on criticism is just overdone and nobody but the person themselves cares. There is a difference between an "unpopular opinion" being "this song is better than this one imo" "this is her best album imo" "i dislike this really liked song tbh" and "her discography has limited songwriting". It's just unnecessary. It's your own personal complaint, to which there is absolutely no response.

I feel like your post is somewhat irrelevant too. I mean, @@CriesMarmalade didn't even say her entire discography has limited writing. She's saying there are flaws that remain within pretty much all of her work. There's a difference between limited songwriting and having a few recurring flaws. I actually agree that Lana does have flaws in her work, much like every other artist out there. Does having a few recurring flaws equal limited songwriting? No. You're taking words out of others' mouths. @@CriesMarmalade was just stating that Lana has some flaws in her work, which is quite a reasonable thing to say, since every artist will have flaws in their work, and often those same flaws will remain for a lot of their work. 

Also, you said: "The fact is if you wanna just moan about her entire discography, this ain't the place." I don't mean to sound stupid, but if this isn't the place to discuss unpopular Lana opinions, then where should people? Just because someone else's comment doesn't align perfectly with your fangirl mentality of praising every single thing Lana does, doesn't mean they're not allowed their opinion. You're basically saying, "if your opinion is different to mine, you can't post it" and that's a ridiculous attitude. And I don't think the user was "moaning about her entire discography" at all. They stated a simple opinion, how they believe Lana's writing is often flawed to some extent. Did they say they don't like Lana's work? Did they say it was limited in EVERY song? NO. They just said that Lana's writing isn't perfect. And if you think otherwise, I think you're delusional, because, as far as I'm aware, there have been a number of flaws with Lana's writing. Enough to stop me from listening to her music? No way. Never. Her music is just too good, in other ways.

I just find it a bit hypocritical of you to blurt your opinions on every thread you can find, but then tell someone else they can't share their opinion since it criticises Lana in the slightest way. And besides, this is the UNPOPULAR LANA OPINIONS thread. The whole purpose of this thread is to come here with UNPOPULAR opinions. 

I feel like your post is somewhat irrelevant too. I mean, @@CriesMarmalade didn't even say her entire discography has limited writing. She's saying there are flaws that remain within pretty much all of her work. There's a difference between limited songwriting and having a few recurring flaws. I actually agree that Lana does have flaws in her work, much like every other artist out there. Does having a few recurring flaws equal limited songwriting? No. You're taking words out of others' mouths. @@CriesMarmalade was just stating that Lana has some flaws in her work, which is quite a reasonable thing to say, since every artist will have flaws in their work, and often those same flaws will remain for a lot of their work. 

Also, you said: "The fact is if you wanna just moan about her entire discography, this ain't the place." I don't mean to sound stupid, but if this isn't the place to discuss unpopular Lana opinions, then where should people? Just because someone else's comment doesn't align perfectly with your fangirl mentality of praising every single thing Lana does, doesn't mean they're not allowed their opinion. You're basically saying, "if your opinion is different to mine, you can't post it" and that's a ridiculous attitude. And I don't think the user was "moaning about her entire discography" at all. They stated a simple opinion, how they believe Lana's writing is often flawed to some extent. Did they say they don't like Lana's work? Did they say it was limited in EVERY song? NO. They just said that Lana's writing isn't perfect. And if you think otherwise, I think you're delusional, because, as far as I'm aware, there have been a number of flaws with Lana's writing. Enough to stop me from listening to her music? No way. Never. Her music is just too good, in other ways.

I just find it a bit hypocritical of you to blurt your opinions on every thread you can find, but then tell someone else they can't share their opinion since it criticises Lana in the slightest way. And besides, this is the UNPOPULAR LANA OPINIONS thread. The whole purpose of this thread is to come here with UNPOPULAR opinions. 

I honestly can't be bothered to read that much from you after I skimmed it and saw "fangirl mentality", sorry. I don't care to respond anything as much as you just did on a forum about a forum member on the internet, goodbye.

EDIT: Altho it's so funny you both tried to bring up Lana being a "Goddess" or me potentially having a "fangirl mentality", she's a fucking human like anybody else. People are so stupid to assume lol. I couldn't give a fuck about anything but the music, including the fans, so don't type anything much to me again, thank you. She's a person. If a person believes another person is above them as a kind of "Goddess", they are frankly stupid.

I honestly can't be bothered to read that much from you after I skimmed it and saw "fangirl mentality", sorry. I don't care to respond anything as much as you just did on a forum about a forum member on the internet, goodbye.

EDIT: Altho it's so funny you both tried to bring up Lana being a "Goddess" or me potentially having a "fangirl mentality", she's a fucking human like anybody else. People are so stupid to assume lol. I couldn't give a fuck about anything but the music, including the fans, so don't type anything much to me again, thank you. She's a person. If a person believes another person is above them as a kind of "Goddess", they are frankly stupid.

You know your argument makes more sense when the other person says they "can't be bothered to read that much from you" and "don't care to respond to anything".