Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

The thing is she's not promoting at all. Some super boring instagram pics on an account noone cares about and two sloppy radio interviews are NOTHING. Her music videos seem to be recorded in a way they MOST CERTAINLY won't be played at the TV and her singles get no airplay.

On the one side, it's her choice if she prefers to not promote her stuff in order to earn money, but for fans it's really annoying not getting something interesting to watch/listen to.

HM just stayed away from the "biggest flops list" because it could still surf on the waves BtD and UV made. If she's not doing SOMETHING for her next album and continues to stay in her super-comfort zone when it comes to music, like she did with HM, her career WILL decline.

Not disagreeing with any of this, but for me it's always the case that the creation is the primary thing, so for me, HM would have been worth doing even without any promotion or videos. And she is in decline commercially, but I think it's sort of a "so what" for her. Perhaps she aspires something like Beck or John Mayer type status (and if she can do better than them commercially, all the better). She's talented enough to have another success like Born to Die, but she's not going to get there from promo. And while it may be that HM reflects a "comfort zone" in terms of putting out the type of music she (currently) wants to, this shouldn't imply not taking any risks on HM. I mean she risks not selling records and being unpopular for doing what she wants.

@@slang i think the 'problem' is that this is still a mostly pop-oriented board, in which success is essentially measured in terms of sales & general audience appeal / popularity. that's not positive or negative in itself, it's just how it is, but i think most of the frustration we often read here relates to that: what people feel she could be and achieve (given the relatively privileged position where she already stands when compared to others), if only she tried harder, promoted herself better, made music that's slightly less alienating, etc. personally, i agree with you - i get the impression that she doesn't really care about that aspect of the music industry; it's definitely not the type of recognition she craves & might even be something she more or less actively rejects. after all, when you think of most of the artists she usually lists as main inspirations, it's usually people who have / had a peculiar relationship with fame & the mainstream (Kurt Cobain, Lou Reed, Jim Morrison, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, etc.); i don't think that's a coincidence, so i'm not that surprised that pop stardom isn't really what she's looking for.

Not disagreeing with any of this, but for me it's always the case that the creation is the primary thing, so for me, HM would have been worth doing even without any promotion or videos. And she is in decline commercially, but I think it's sort of a "so what" for her. Perhaps she aspires something like Beck or John Mayer type status (and if she can do better than them commercially, all the better). She's talented enough to have another success like Born to Die, but she's not going to get there from promo. And while it may be that HM reflects a "comfort zone" in terms of putting out the type of music she (currently) wants to, this shouldn't imply not taking any risks on HM. I mean she risks not selling records and being unpopular for doing what she wants.

@@slang i think the 'problem' is that this is still a mostly pop-oriented board, in which success is essentially measured in terms of sales & general audience appeal / popularity. that's not positive or negative in itself, it's just how it is, but i think most of the frustration we often read here relates to that: what people feel she could be and achieve (given the relatively privileged position where she already stands when compared to others), if only she tried harder, promoted herself better, made music that's slightly less alienating, etc. personally, i agree with you - i get the impression that she doesn't really care about that aspect of the music industry; it's definitely not the type of recognition she craves & might even be something she more or less actively rejects. after all, when you think of most of the artists she usually lists as main inspirations, it's usually people who have / had a peculiar relationship with fame & the mainstream (Kurt Cobain, Lou Reed, Jim Morrison, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, etc.); i don't think that's a coincidence, so i'm not that surprised that pop stardom isn't really what she's looking for.

The thing is that Lana is a pop-oriented artist and even if many people here really would LOVE her to be an alternative singer, she's not.

And btw, even alternative artists do much more than Lana when it comes to performances, music videos etc. Their stuff maybe won't appear in the mainstream media, but they still usually provide a lot of material APART from the base album for their fans.

Lana should care more because a) she is not an established artist in a way that she can go fully non-commercial and b) doing some sort of promo is also related to actually providing your fans some stuff.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

@@Electric Body

The thing is that Lana is a pop-oriented artist and even if many people here really would LOVE her to be an alternative singer, she's not.

i think you're you're confusing how she is or was marketed, how her fans might perceive her and - a lot more importantly when it comes to the subject at hand - what she wants to be, or be seen as. and, in my opinion, the latter is what explains most of her post-BTD behavior.

@@Electric Body

i think you're you're confusing how she is or was marketed, how her fans might perceive her and - a lot more importantly when it comes to the subject at hand - what she wants to be, or be seen as. and, in my opinion, the latter is what explains most of her post-BTD behavior.

The music she's creating is alternative pop though.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike HM or want her to be super-popular (even though I don't mind her being) but her overall attitude during HM was alarming as it tended to be lethargic.

I'm really wish she would put some more effort again in certain things like music/music videos and be more adventurous like she use to. Its one of the reasons why I partially don't like HM. Its a statement of how safe,samey and how much "non effort like" Lana has become in the last year. She's become complacent and boring as of late. :eek:

BTD /UV controversies really have affected her deeply so much so that it has affected her very art and maybe she should just embrace the fact that she is a polarizing figure in the media and roll with it. By adapting a "fuck you this is me you can like it or not attitude" she can once again take more risks music/image wise. She just needs to find her confidence once again to do so.

Also I don't care how much promo Lana dose just as long as its great or interesting. UV was very messy in some parts but there were some highlights like SOC music video for instance that made up for it. HM was just so bloody disappointing from the start to the end. Three mediocre MV (One of which was from a scrapped MV from a previous era) and a handful of safe,uninteresting interviews/photo shoots.   What I'm trying to say is as long as the promo material is great it shouldn't matter how much of it we get just as long as its good.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

i feel like every thread dissolves into this discussion--but whatever--

at this point, i don't give a fuck about the charts or ~success~ at all. lana is in a rare position of having access (money + connections) to do whatever she wants. we all know lana has something more sinister/deeper/more interesting than honeymoon in her. she doesn't need to worry about public perception like she used to. the only thing i wish for her is to take advantage of that. a lot of us are frustrated because she hasn't taken full advantage of the opportunities presented to her, for various reasons. i understand them. i just want her to not give a fuck anymore, like when she was unknown and she could put whatever she felt into a song without worrying about the reception. i want her to not give a shit about controversy. she has that ability but i don't know if she knows it. 

Is It Wrong is one of Lana's best unreleased songs, it's so underrated 

also, THANK YOU!!! i have been a fan since jan 2012 and it took me until last year to find this song, even though i thought i mostly had everything. goddamn i wish lana would embrace her upbeat side again. she's fucking great at it. 

let me be who i'm meant to be

She never seems to complain about Interscope/major label, whereas Azalea leaves Interscope, and Dan Auerbach gave us an insight into how Interscope didn't like Ultraviolence, and etc. Why is it?

To be fair, Interscope is quite sensible to her in the sense that she doesn't have to put more tracks on Honeymoon to make a deluxe version, she doesn't have to do TV performance or interviews, or even touring regularly. She seems like whatever music she's made it was possible to put it out via Interscope.

honeymoon didn't get a lot of promo though, maybe interscope was not that fine with the material on hm and agreed on releasing it but not promoting it. if that makes sense. 

i76mrxw.png 

Very unpopular but I really can't stand the majority of Nicole's shoots :/ I like a few pictures here and there but I'm just so done with them being instantly associated to Lana, magazines still using these pictures in 2015-2016 really annoys me, it feels like the pictures are describing a character that Lana might not completely be anymore. I like the settings and stuff but for most of the shoots I really dislike the hair make-up and clothes :( They don't make me feel anything, they're not the shoots where I find Lana to be (the most) pretty. 

ZKcaooE.png

Very unpopular but I really can't stand the majority of Nicole's shoots :/ I like a few pictures here and there but I'm just so done with them being instantly associated to Lana, magazines still using these pictures in 2015-2016 really annoys me, it feels like the pictures are describing a character that Lana might not completely be anymore. I like the settings and stuff but for most of the shoots I really dislike the hair make-up and clothes :( They don't make me feel anything, they're not the shoots where I find Lana to be (the most) pretty. 

I love Nicole's photos but I get what you mean. I also always think it looks off to display LolitaIn The Hood/ Gangsta Nancy Sinatra Lana, when her style changed so much in both a mature but also often much less glamorous direction.

On the other side, who can blame them, there are not really a lot of "good to use" promo pics from more recent eras.

You couldn't have said it better. Neil Krug >>>>>>>

I love Nicole's photos but I get what you mean. I also always think it looks off to display LolitaIn The Hood/ Gangsta Nancy Sinatra Lana, when her style changed so much in both a mature but also often much less glamorous direction.

On the other side, who can blame them, there are not really a lot of "good to use" promo pics from more recent eras.

It's kind of funny that magazines always stick to the same few photos because they probably don't "want to" print blurry neil pics.

We have the BTD/VG single shoot and the other nicole one that was used for the dark paradise cover. during ultraviolence most magazines used the photos with the feathers or those two ones of her standing in front of the bushes.

i don't even know if i've ever seen anything honeymoon related in a magazine/article, i think it's just the high by the beach cover photo. lana's management should have added the photo with the gun and the other hbtb one to her press photos, it would be better than just using the hbtb cover all over again.

i76mrxw.png 

What thread had the story about the Whale sound that whatshisname uses on some songs? (too lazy to figure out)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

What thread had the story about the Whale sound that whatshisname uses on some songs? (too lazy to figure out)

If your talking about what I think your talking about. The "whale" sound is actually an Auto -Tuned Loon that was sampled lots and lots by Emile Haynie on BTD.

Hope this helps narrow down the search for you :)

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

@  Thanks. That's it.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I tought I was the only one and also I really like Chuck's photos I don't understand the hate :deadbanana:

8nl2OpX.png

"Roses" kinda sucks?

Also, surprised this is apparently an unpopular opinion.

I've seen you trying to make your opinion seem like the real T in like 2/3 posts. Of course it's valid but stop trying to make it happen. :oprah3:

Personally I'm happy it's not the Lana early-transition song we expected it to be. I'm a sucker for poppy Lana. Roses is nice, not ha magnum opus and not very far from songs we already heard like In the Sun, Push Me Down, Beautiful Player, etc but it's nice to add another song of that style in her repertoire. :oprah3: