Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

From her latest outings I see her as depressed as ever, single and entrenched in this urban-trash, second-hand clothing "couture" for what depression and self-loathing are the only explanations I could come up with. It's sad to see that she cannot break this circle of depression in her life because it's affecting her career and music (and not in a good way anymore).

Someone here depicted her situation very aptly by saying that her fandom is "rotting" away. She kind of reacted to it lately with some activity on instagram which will never stop the decline btw.

I'm worried for her headlining so many festivals where she was booked based on her former appeal I'm afraid. I hope that she will take seriously these appearances because there will be less hardcore Lana fans in the public and she has no room for major flops in her career. Some people are starting to question her headlining status and tbh if she'll not spice up her show significantly it will be very easy for the haters to take her down. (Grimes for example is getting a much better press while Lana's presence is usually ignored and certainly I didn't see any excitement about her show)

I agree with these thoughts somewhat, depression is a strange thing..but sometimes, just not caring might get confused with it as well, i dont know..

but yeah, i sorta worry about this like you mentioned as well, and had the same thoughts,

From her latest outings I see her as depressed as ever, single and entrenched in this urban-trash, second-hand clothing "couture" for what depression and self-loathing are the only explanations I could come up with. It's sad to see that she cannot break this circle of depression in her life because it's affecting her career and music (and not in a good way anymore).

Someone here depicted her situation very aptly by saying that her fandom is "rotting" away. She kind of reacted to it lately with some activity on instagram which will never stop the decline btw.

I'm worried for her headlining so many festivals where she was booked based on her former appeal I'm afraid. I hope that she will take seriously these appearances because there will be less hardcore Lana fans in the public and she has no room for major flops in her career. Some people are starting to question her headlining status and tbh if she'll not spice up her show significantly it will be very easy for the haters to take her down. (Grimes for example is getting a much better press while Lana's presence is usually ignored and certainly I didn't see any excitement about her show)

Part of me feels like she likes it better this way. She's already said that the backlash she received during Born To Die deeply affected her. I feel like some of her fans think she's less self-aware than she actually is. She said she knows people judged her for her appearance, which is true. She said she knows the general opinions about each of her albums, too. 

You also forget she's been the victim of stalking at the hands of her own fans. People even hacked her and uploaded her personal photos on Instagram numerous times. For such a small star she is, she certainly has a handful of wack jobs who keep a very close eye on her. Another example of are those DailyMail people who stalk her on the beach, they've been doing so for almost a month now. I mean there's at least 4 different sets of photos of her sunbathing, undressing, etc.

This girl can't catch a break. Which is ironic because yes her fan base has only gotten smaller since Born To Die. Yet the shit that happens to her at the hands of fans and paparazzi has only become more drastic.

Lana focuses on her instrumentals WAY too much. She could make amazing songs like OOW or LGOE or SSK that focus on the lyrics. Born To Die's lyrics we're overthrown by the instrumentals. 

What songs are you talking about?? ARRRRRrgh I hate it when people shorten the song titles like that I never get it lol. I also  missunderstand WC and BJ everytime for a second

edit: ok got it On our way, last girl on earth and sweet serial killer  :legend:  :legend:

unpopular opinion: I LOVE her cringworthy lines

-i love the "blueblueblueblue" in Freak, "stranger than a stranger"? -hilarious!! I always thought she´s being cheek n´ tongue with these kind of lyrics, slowly realized she´s propably dead serious -even better, that trolls even harder!

-"my pussy tastes like pepsi cola": i never saw it as only a provocative line. the song has this enthusiasm in it and I think she wanted to paint the American dream as something sweet (lol), she´s beeing coquettish with her sexuality and SHE`S DELICIOUS :candy:  :delish: edit: I also always wondered wheather it might be a comment on her commercial succes with BTD 

-"shining like gun metal, cold and unsure": honestly don´t get how this is a bad line? makes me think of a girl who´s partying and seems confident, but is actually shy and unsure, reminds me of "lying to herself 'cause her liquor's top shelf", and talking about coldness:

-"hawaiin glam metal", "surf noir": always loved these terms. they describe the atmosphere so well. the coldness in lanas music is the thing i always related the most to. this dirty, unsetteling atmosphere she creates in LDRAKALG with these tropical, maritime sounds and these cold neon light trashy lyrics always gives me THE CHILLS. (still can´t believe some critics actually criticized that UV sounds suffocative :facepalm: . I don´t know this was probably already said, but I heard that people with anxiety often feel like they suffocate and we know lana has problems with anxiety, so i think its definitely on purpose)

-"elvis is the best hell yes", "hell yeah that guy can sing": for me, these lines just sound so organic, like they seem to be from some easy flirt/chat. they´re cute

-"throw me in the sky, like pizza pie": pure poetry     :worship:  :smokes:

-"d.a.r.k. do it my way kiss me in the p.a.r.k. park":  :party:  :gclap:  :party:  :gclap: 

Her cringy lines add so much charm to her music and Lana wouldn´t be Lana without them i love her  :yesnod:  :rock:  :thankyou: 

I agree with all of this, except for the "blue blue blue blue blue blue blue blue blue blue blue" part of Freak, it's just a bit too much for me. I don't mind how she uses the word blue a lot, I think it's a beautiful word and always fits with the mood and feel of the song, but this line in Freak, for me, is just unforgivable. I find it annoying and tacky when any word is used this many times in space, and so quickly. It's less about the word "blue" but the way it's repeated so quickly.

But anyway, I love how you've explained all of these lyrics. I completely agree. I think that these sort of fun lyrics are nice to have every now and then and it makes Lana's music so "Lana-ish". I couldn't imagine any other singer having these kinds of words in their songs, and that's exactly why I love them. 

Someone here depicted her situation very aptly by saying that her fandom is "rotting" away. She kind of reacted to it lately with some activity on instagram which will never stop the decline btw

God forbid a woman in her 30s try to enjoy life, immerse herself in current fashion and trends, and oh no, relax out of the spot of the limelight! You must feel really entitled to Lana's life...don't know why.

VyIsfwC.jpg

God forbid a woman in her 30s try to enjoy life, immerse herself in current fashion and trends, and oh no, relax out of the spot of the limelight! You must feel really entitled to Lana's life...don't know why.

You're funny.

She uses the same (out of fashion) shitty sandals for 2 years. Blue jeans, white shirt. She was horribly dressed at any red carpet event she participated in the last two years. She is a fixture of worst-dressed lists.

She wasn't in the proper limelight for 3 years now. She didn't promoted her last two albums. She threw out HM and she is relaxing since then. 

About my entitlement. Why I'm following her? That is the question. Certainly not for her "deep" emotional statements, wisdom, or philosophy that came through her lyrics. But I like her face, voice, melodies and I liked her style sometime ago. She is an entertainer in my book but she never payed attention to that part of her job. Because, you know, she choose to have a job and I'm a customer who buys her shit. Maybe I'm a little entitled as a fan to see a proper performance of hers in 3 years and not just botched recordings of her subpar live shows? 

Poor Lana, I offend her existence with my stupid attention (and I have to admit that the amount of attention that I devote to her is an utterly stupid thing to do) by expressing opinions on a forum regarding her state of mind. Maybe I can get tired of her depressive/bipolar act which, in my opinion, gets embarrassing for everyone involved in her career (included fans).

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers

You're funny.

She uses the same (out of fashion) shitty sandals for 2 years. Blue jeans, white shirt. She was horribly dressed at any red carpet event she participated in the last two years. She is a fixture of worst-dressed lists.

She wasn't in the proper limelight for 3 years now. She didn't promoted her last two albums. She threw out HM and she is relaxing since then. 

About my entitlement. Why I'm following her? That is the question. Certainly not for her "deep" emotional statements, wisdom, or philosophy that came through her lyrics. But I like her face, voice, melodies and I liked her style sometime ago. She is an entertainer in my book but she never payed attention to that part of her job. Because, you know, she choose to have a job and I'm a customer who buys her shit. Maybe I'm a little entitled as a fan to see a proper performance of hers in 3 years and not just botched recordings of her subpar live shows? 

Poor Lana, I offend her existence with my stupid attention (and I have to admit that the amount of attention that I devote to her is an utterly stupid thing to do) by expressing opinions on a forum regarding her state of mind. Maybe I can get tired of her depressive/bipolar act which, in my opinion, gets embarrassing for everyone involved in her career (included fans).

I agree with the ideas behind your post, but I do think your wording is quite harsh.

Depression isn't an easy road, it eats away at people. And I don't think you can really blame Lana for her lack of promotion, live shows, and care for her appearance considering that she most likely is still suffering from depression/anxiety, and also after all the criticism and hate she got from people after the big break of BTD. It's easy for you to say, "I'm entitled as a fan to see a proper performance of hers" but you don't really know how hard things may have been for Lana. I presume you're  no famous celebrity with eyes watching from every angle. You've never had to deal with the crap Lana has over the past few years therefore I don't think you can make statements about what Lana should have done/should be doing, because you obviously don't know what's been going on inside her head and the situations she's had to deal with since the rise of her fame.

I do agree that a live performance and a little more care for her appearance wouldn't go astray every now and then, and I'd certainly take a little more promo any day, but I think it's hard for us as fans and not as people who know Lana or her situation personally to make proper judgments on what Lana should be doing. It's her life and if she's happy just putting out an album with no promo, no live performances, no TV, not having to worry too much about how she looks, then good for her! She has every right as a human being to do what she wants and we all need to learn that we aren't entitled to anything from Lana. At the end of the day, just be glad you're still getting anything from her. She's such a prolific songwriter, she releases so much music all the time and we've gotten HUNDREDS of leaks yet no one seems to ever be satisfied and everyone just wants more and more. Let Lana live, for goodness sake! She technically owes us nothing so be grateful you've gotten anything over the last few years - considering the backlash she got from BTD, she could have easily just said stuff it and given up, but she kept releasing music because it's what she loves and she wants to treat her fans.

You're funny.

She dresses pragmatically when she's out and about in town. She dumps her boyfriends rather than vice versa, and I would guess this would be for pragmatic reasons as well. I see her as pessimistic but certainly not depressed. She seems actually happier now as many have pointed out. She seems invited to a lot of Hollywood events and is generally seen as a cool celebrity to be around (by other A list celebrities). Maybe she doesn't promote the way you want, but the importance of that is questionable. Maybe her lyrics aren't as good as Morrissey's or P.J. Harvey's but she's not actively trying to imitate them and her lyrics are her own and not  similar to other pop stars and often quite enigmatic or at least interesting. Finally, HM the album and it's 3 videos were not trivial accomplishments and she's got a respectably challenging set of festival appearances lined up. So I guess I just don't see what you're seeing in terms of a decline in her artistic or personal morale. 

@@Flipflopfan i tend to agree with @@slang's comment on this. anyway, ours are outsiders' opinions, of course, so any of us could be right, or (more likely) neither. but i kinda think you're rationalizing your own disappointment with her - with how you think she should dress, behave, talk, etc. - by attributing it a removable cause: if she drops the depressive/bipolar 'act', or if she stops being depressed, she'll change and rise up to your expectations. which is probably easier to do re: a celebrity we've invested quite a bit of time and money in than saying 'i don't like it, but this is how she is & probably won't change, take it or leave it'.

interesting topics for discussion, yes, for sure.. our view (all stans/fans) are projected on the artist we like..

what they feel/do and who they really are, is entirely a different universe(reality) from any of 'our' projections.

I was checking out some SIA interviews recently, and she is an interesting case as well. Some cool interviews with her and her views

of fame/industry/performing/pop stardom, etc..

:rollin:

She dresses pragmatically when she's out and about in town. She dumps her boyfriends rather than vice versa, and I would guess this would be for pragmatic reasons as well. I see her as pessimistic but certainly not depressed. She seems actually happier now as many have pointed out. She seems invited to a lot of Hollywood events and is generally seen as a cool celebrity to be around (by other A list celebrities). Maybe she doesn't promote the way you want, but the importance of that is questionable. Maybe her lyrics aren't as good as Morrissey's or P.J. Harvey's but she's not actively trying to imitate them and her lyrics are her own and not  similar to other pop stars and often quite enigmatic or at least interesting. Finally, HM the album and it's 3 videos were not trivial accomplishments and she's got a respectably challenging set of festival appearances lined up. So I guess I just don't see what you're seeing in terms of a decline in her artistic or personal morale. 

The thing is she's not promoting at all. Some super boring instagram pics on an account noone cares about and two sloppy radio interviews are NOTHING. Her music videos seem to be recorded in a way they MOST CERTAINLY won't be played at the TV and her singles get no airplay.

On the one side, it's her choice if she prefers to not promote her stuff in order to earn money, but for fans it's really annoying not getting something interesting to watch/listen to.

HM just stayed away from the "biggest flops list" because it could still surf on the waves BtD and UV made. If she's not doing SOMETHING for her next album and continues to stay in her super-comfort zone when it comes to music, like she did with HM, her career WILL decline.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!