Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

those sad lana video edits that are about her weight are corny as fuck and weird.

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

I don't like Lana's fandom in social media, especially in the 2020s. I wasn't there in the early 2010s, so I don't know how the fandom was in social media then but just nowadays it's just full of toxicity. Tbh I've noticed some toxicty in the live shows as well and that was in the 2010s as well.

I only love it here, it's like the only safe place I kinda wanna gatekeep...

url%5D

51 minutes ago, Embach said:

I don't like Lana's fandom in social media, especially in the 2020s. I wasn't there in the early 2010s, so I don't know how the fandom was in social media then but just nowadays it's just full of toxicity. Tbh I've noticed some toxicty in the live shows as well and that was in the 2010s as well.

I only love it here, it's like the only safe place I kinda wanna gatekeep...

This is exactly why I gatekeep from the you know who types of people :oopna2:

I love seeing more people be into her, but ever since she got popular on certain websites post 2020 some of the newer fans have been the worst people. 

Spoiler

TikTok and twitter im looking at you. 

(Not everyone on those sites, but it’s usually people from those sites)

Lana fans have always been “crazy” but they deff weren’t how they are now on most social media. At least when I was on tumblr back in 2012-2017, it was never about toxic things like body shaming.Sure there were still people that sucked, but not in the same way, usually more so gatekeeping.  It was more about being crazy obsessed with her music and her. When I saw her in concert in 2017, I was in a small venue that was GA only and girl people pushed. That was about 7 years ago, so I can only imagine what it’s like seeing her in GA now. Prob one of the most obsessed crowds in a show I’ve been to.

I’ve heard a lot of bad stories at her shows of people getting physical unfortunately, but I really don’t think it’s a lot of the older fans being like that. It sounds like it’s gotten worse after the pandemic, but that’s just what I’ve seen online. I don’t wanna blame it on all the younger fans, because they’re certainly not all like that. I just hate seeing new fans have the worst behavior and say awful things online. Do they even like her? because you’d think they hate her by how much they ridicule her. It’s okay to have an opinion about not liking a certain song or whatever but they take it too far. 

Also kinda sad to see Lana singing certain songs live like Arcadia and the crowd is just… crickets. Even though I haven’t been to a show recently, it’s very apparent during people streaming and I’ve talked to people who have been to those shows and have said that. I know some of the slower songs aren’t as popular, but it’s very funny seeing them act like they’re better than other fans or whatever yet don’t know songs that haven’t been viral on TikTok. Not saying just because you don’t know every single song she’s ever made you can’t see her live, just interesting. 

I’ve seen a lot of them think that Lana is a gen Z thing, when majority of the OGs are millennials (and I say this as a gen Z on the border of millennial).I’d also like to add every lana fan I’ve met irl have been super chill and not like that at all. Anyways, it makes me want to gatekeep from those people. I love seeing people fall in love with her music, it makes me happy. But I hate seeing shitty people represent the fandom, because we are certainly not all like that, especially here. 

anyways that was a lot longer than I meant this post to be but some of these ppl are irritating and embarrassing :tiffany2:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

1 hour ago, shadesofblue said:

I love seeing more people be into her, but ever since she got popular on certain websites post 2020 some of the newer fans have been the worst people. 

Hide contents

Lana fans have always been “crazy” but they deff weren’t how they are now on most social media. At least when I was on tumblr back in 2012-2017, it was never about toxic things like body shaming.Sure there were still people that sucked, but not in the same way, usually more so gatekeeping.  It was more about being crazy obsessed with her music and her. When I saw her in concert in 2017, I was in a small venue that was GA only and girl people pushed. That was about 7 years ago, so I can only imagine what it’s like seeing her in GA now. Prob one of the most obsessed crowds in a show I’ve been to.

I’ve heard a lot of bad stories at her shows of people getting physical unfortunately, but I really don’t think it’s a lot of the older fans being like that. It sounds like it’s gotten worse after the pandemic, but that’s just what I’ve seen online. I don’t wanna blame it on all the younger fans, because they’re certainly not all like that. I just hate seeing new fans have the worst behavior and say awful things online. Do they even like her? because you’d think they hate her by how much they ridicule her. It’s okay to have an opinion about not liking a certain song or whatever but they take it too far. 

Also kinda sad to see Lana singing certain songs live like Arcadia and the crowd is just… crickets. Even though I haven’t been to a show recently, it’s very apparent during people streaming and I’ve talked to people who have been to those shows and have said that. I know some of the slower songs aren’t as popular, but it’s very funny seeing them act like they’re better than other fans or whatever yet don’t know songs that haven’t been viral on TikTok. Not saying just because you don’t know every single song she’s ever made you can’t see her live, just interesting. 

I’ve seen a lot of them think that Lana is a gen Z thing, when majority of the OGs are millennials (and I say this as a gen Z on the border of millennial).I’d also like to add every lana fan I’ve met irl have been super chill and not like that at all. Anyways, it makes me want to gatekeep from those people. I love seeing people fall in love with her music, it makes me happy. But I hate seeing shitty people represent the fandom, because we are certainly not all like that, especially here. 

anyways that was a lot longer than I meant this post to be but some of these ppl are irritating and embarrassing :tiffany2:

True, agreed! But when I'm thinking about it more, then in the early 2010s media and the Internet had no filters at all, people just said some of the nastiest stuff ever without thinking and people got away with it without any "cancelling" ("cancelling" became very popular this decade). As you can see it in some of the decade old LanaBoards posts, some of the early users said very mean stuff about Lana.

But now, since forums aren't really dominating in this era, LanaBoards has become a cozier place now, not like any of the social media platforms.

url%5D

1 hour ago, shadesofblue said:

Hide contents

Is it just kids in general these days, on tiktok yesterday I had somebody arguing that tumblr grunge fashion was created by gen z.. I chimed in saying I’m a young millennial and it was definitely me and older people dressing like that lol (tumblr was definitely thriving for millennials)

they started gaslighting me that I’m not a millennial and I’m gen z.. then I realised they were 15 and just left :toofunny: I don’t even comment on Lana TikTok’s because it’s always some preteen ready to argue you’re not a fan even though I was listening to her debuts when I was older than them now lol

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

i hate that this is a unpopular opinion but lana and taylor are friends (maybe? apparently lana unfollowed) and we shouldn't try to control that!

i remember when it was rumored taylor was gonna be the surprise guest at lanas coachella set everyone on the comments on one post were like "NOOOO" .. let the girl be friends with whoever she wants!!! taylor has also said many nice things about lana so idk why people are so against their friendship (this kinda feels like its more about taylor but idk)

the last rancid girl in a rancid world

tumblr_o12wrv5btd1qj2b14o1_500.gif

and i don't seem to mind

2 hours ago, shadesofblue said:

Hide contents

omg i really agree with this one.. its so sad some of lanas best work isn't noticed by her tiktok fans and stuff, just like born to die and ultraviolence

the last rancid girl in a rancid world

tumblr_o12wrv5btd1qj2b14o1_500.gif

and i don't seem to mind

24 minutes ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

Is it just kids in general these days, on tiktok yesterday I had somebody arguing that tumblr grunge fashion was created by gen z.. I chimed in saying I’m a young millennial and it was definitely me and older people dressing like that lol (tumblr was definitely thriving for millennials)

they started gaslighting me that I’m not a millennial and I’m gen z.. then I realised they were 15 and just left :toofunny: I don’t even comment on Lana TikTok’s because it’s always some preteen ready to argue you’re not a fan even though I was listening to her debuts when I was older than them now lol

that's actually hilarious :eartha: 

It was deff millienials that started Tumblr grunge, gen z followed in their footsteps. I was on Tumblr (prob way younger than I should've been) starting in 2011. Only older gen Z were in high school during the prime years of Tumblr 2012-2015. But majority of gen Z were literal children not even online yet :bye: 

It's funny being in between generations, because I see both sides and know which is actually true.

Arguing with some of those TikTok lana fans is honestly pointless because they always think they're right. It's always the ones who've been fans for 2 years, are rude, and listen to the same 10 songs that circulate the app. OGs have been here for well over a decade :toofunny: I just ignore them at this point, I see so much misinformation about Lana on there.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

2 hours ago, shadesofblue said:

Also kinda sad to see Lana singing certain songs live like Arcadia and the crowd is just… crickets. Even though I haven’t been to a show recently, it’s very apparent during people streaming and I’ve talked to people who have been to those shows and have said that.

I mean what do you them to do if she's singing those slow (boring) songs live... If it's a ballad with vocals as an audience you just sit there and listen to the music. Old Money's best performances were ruined by crowds randomly singing but I guess they at least knew the song ? I don’t think it really matters. She needs to up the setlist 

This is going to be VERRYYYY unpopular but I don’t think Lana’s Skins Campaign was THAT great. It was very cunty and gorgeous but I think Skims has had much better campaigns. I don’t think they really did the best they could, the only truly incredible picture from that whole shoot is the blue heart box. I think my big disappointment in hindsight is that it was shot in front of a plan backdrop rather than a set like the Interview Mag shoot.

But don’t get me wrong it was still world stopping and one of the coolest things she has done, it really started off 2024 with a BANG

I actually really love Lana's "boring", languid, slow songs :trisha:

2bfdb5f27c0411b17e7345642d0743ba99f47af0
 𝓟𝓾𝓽 𝓶𝓮 𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓫𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓴 𝓶𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓻𝓬𝔂𝓬𝓵𝓮

𝓕𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓫𝓪𝓫𝔂 𝓭𝓸𝓵𝓵 𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓶𝔂 '𝓘 𝓭𝓸' 

𝓘𝓽 𝓸𝓷𝓵𝔂 𝓽𝓪𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓽𝔀𝓸 𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓝𝓮𝓿𝓪𝓭𝓪

⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚ 

as a gen-z lana del rey fan, i apologize on the behalf of the more recent, annoying fans! although i am an older gen-z and i've been a fan for around 8 years at this point so i'm certainly not new to her, she's definitely settled into my identity, but even at 13 when i was a new fan, i wasn't annoying about her or saw her as just simply an aesthetic like i believe some fans unfortunately do, she's always been associated with aesthetics, which i think makes sense, since her music's very visual and she does incorporate a lot of beautiful visuals in her work, back in the mid-2010s, people associated her with tumblr, tumblr grunge, etc. and now she's primarily associated with the coquette aesthetic (which i do not understand, obviously her music's very glamourous and outwardly feminine energetically, but i just do not think of white, pink, lace, hearts, and bows when i listen to songs like pretty when you cry or body electric, i think more gentle, whimsical songs like video games and sweet sound coquette though) i feel like people just see her as something trendy and aesthetic instead of multi-faceted artist who should be seen for what they actually are and taken seriously, it's the same thing with all of the stupid, tired jokes regarding cocaine, sugar daddies, and roses with cigarettes hanging out of them... they never applied to her before and they never will, her art means so much more, even back when i was a teenager it bothered me and i knew her music was much more than that, i feel i always understood it, and i feel a lot of people just don't and it frustrates me

oh, and i also hate it when people joke about how listening to lana del rey at a young age made them a mess or something like that, her music isn't a bad influence, i started listening to her at 13 and it only made my life better because i love the music and it means something to me, it isn't lana's fault that you're a hot mess express

WGe8ynS.gif

On 4/28/2024 at 12:25 AM, rancidgirl said:

i hate that this is a unpopular opinion but lana and taylor are friends (maybe? apparently lana unfollowed) and we shouldn't try to control that!

Lana never followed Taylor but she follows a Taylor fanpage lol which is kinda cute

url%5D

17 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

oh, and i also hate it when people joke about how listening to lana del rey at a young age made them a mess or something like that, her music isn't a bad influence, i started listening to her at 13 and it only made my life better because i love the music and it means something to me, it isn't lana's fault that you're a hot mess express

I agreed with everything you said earlier but I especially agree with this. I was around the same age when I started listening to her and it has made my life better as well even though I didn't relate to her lyrics then. Listening to her music really made me happy and still does! She never had a negative influence on me, I never took the lyrics in Born To Die or Ultraviolence too seriously because I knew that they were satirical and were kind of sometimes "a mockery of fame and the American Dream". But I also loved that in her more serious songs, she talked about like realistic stuff, not some glossy fairytales. She was one of the first artists in the 2010s who wrote and sang about mental health, abusive and toxic relationships, dark sides of drug/alcohol abusive and fame. Her music has also really taught me a lot in terms of culture like older music, cinema and literature. 

url%5D

17 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

this!! also when people blame their attraction to older people or issues with their parents on her, even jokingly. it's old and it dulls her art to very superficial level, thus creating the stereotypes and the defenses people who don't like her use when they wanna trash talk her music. i always feel like the closing track of honeymoon is her begging against this

violets in your eyes

On 4/27/2024 at 4:02 PM, Thats why they call me Dita said:

this is so funny for multiple reasons cause like…they had just learned to be potty trained and were probably playing in some little tikes kitchen set with snot running down their nose during lanas debut eras :toofloppy:

also actual grunge fashion started in the 1980s if i remember correctly?? and had a much heavier and iconic influence in the 90s that then had a resurgence on tumblr that created its own variation ( being soft grunge) ??? 
like did they just watch one of those nostalgia slide shows of tumblr soft grunge 2014 and assumed that was the creation of grunge? 
even then most people on tumblr at that time who had actual influence on the soft grunge trend were millennials and some at the very very start of gen z... :eek2:

but yeah i feel like some of these kids who grew up with social media to such a heavy extent have a certain… arrogance to them and will believe anything they see online 

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif