Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

NFR has the most sophisticated lyrics and the best concept of all the albums. It's a completely different level of Lana, has hardly any weak parts (apart from TNBAR or Bartender perhaps), which mainly means unnecessary overlengths or repetitive lyrics.

Ocean Blvd is also a sophisticated album, but in a different way. The range of songs is wider and the songs are more divisive, but that also means that you might only like some of them. While explicit lyrics were a good fit for the NFR concept (simply because of the album title),  I still think that she used them inappropriately in some parts of Ocean Blvd (like in the title track).

On 1/28/2024 at 5:49 PM, lanaismamom said:

yes jack antonoff team is so bad but that’s what lana is today and what’s her sound now, and i’m happy if this is what she’s comfortable with, but music downgraded HARD sorry not sorry antonoff honey u can go 

I agree; it's really disappointing that she chooses to work with the most cookie cutter producer

It just feels like he embodies everything her music isn't meant to be

IMO NFR is the best of the albums he's done with her but I feel like that may be due to the past still influencing.

COCC, BB and DYKTUOB are lacklustre imo. Although they have highlights, I find it tedious to listen to any of them in their entirety whereas I can easily listen to her other albums without skips

Maybe it's just me not adapting to her new sound idk. Is there anyone out there who actually prefers her later albums? 

I would love to see her work with Isa Summers or just anyone she hasn't worked with before

I also think country is a bad choice on paper. I feel like it's gonna be a snooze 

That genre is one that's very nuanced and country artists spend their entire careers perfecting their sound in that genre

She has every right to switch it up and try it but it feels like you need to be all-in to succeed in that genre so idk 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

53 minutes ago, Rocket0212 said:

Let Me Love You Like A Woman is a cute girl and top 5 on COCC. Everybody hates her just because Lana released it as 1st single with ugly MV.:trisha4:

I agree that she’s cute but compared to Pink Champagne?! Also, I’m curious what your top 5 would be on COCC just to see if LMLYLAW is justifiable (in my opinion).

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

2 hours ago, Embach said:

Long essay, read it if you want to. And if you don't want to read it, then don't. It is controversial though, I think. I really hope that people won't start hating on me here after that long statement because I said it, for example, in TikTok or Twitter, I think that people there would eat and burn me alive...

I love NFR album but Ocean Blvd album with all the depth and complexity of it makes NFR album seem very shallow and vanilla. Not that NFR album is bad, of course not, but Ocean Blvd album just explored the topics in a very comprehensive and profound way what kind of lacks in the songs of NFR albums (except Hope Is A Dangerous Thing). That's why I also find NFR as very polished album (like more polished version of Lust For Life and maybe COTCC albums) and that's why it's also her most "universal" accessible album. That's also the reason why general public (whether the people are teenagers or middle aged) loves it the most out of all of her albums.

Also, I have seen many Lana fans, either here or in social media (Instagram, Reddit, Twitter, YouTube, Twitter) rank her top 3 albums mostly as NFR, Ultraviolence and Honeymoon and saying that they're all in the same league and her strongest. While the list is not bad (I do have to admit that Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are in my top 3 as well), sadly I don't find NFR in the same league as Ultraviolence and Honeymoon. I think that Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are one of her strongest works BUT it's also her most original and unique works. These albums are something that CANNOT be created by anyone else but Lana herself. But even if Lana tries to do a 2.0 version of those two albums, I think she even wouldn't be capable of doing these again in the same flavour and design because these albums captured the magic in the studio which just cannot be repeated again. These albums just caught lightning in the bottle and they're all in their own unique universes which makes these albums special either by their sound, melodies and topics. It's just something that makes Honeymoon and Ultraviolence so ahead of their times and out of all Lana's albums timeless and out of all Lana's albums, they're in a very high league. They're not really 100% polished, they're raw in some parts but it's something that it's done flawlessly. These albums are so essentially Lana, they have her "handwriting" all over them. That's something what NFR doesn't have, sorry. Not that it's a bad thing, of course. But I feel like NFR is an album which could be done by any indie rock band but I think it's also because the album has very strong Jack Antonoff signature style in it. That's why I also think that NFR is an album it's also album which "lacks" the Lana element the most. I think NFR album's strongest parts are the lyrics but as I have mentioned earlier, some of the lyrics can seem really shallow and aren't as deep now as it was. It has some strong moments like in Hope, Mariners, How To Disappear or The Greatest but my problem with NFR's lyrics are that these could be written by anyone and they all seem to be in the style of...I don't know, like Instagram captions or Pinterest, where like all the "motivational life quotes" are collected together and sewn together into one song. But it doesn't make the album bad, I think the album itself is amazing and very listenable because in all its simplicity, it has relatable moments and it also very nostalgic. It's like that kind of album you listen to when you're going on a summer trip or go to a beach to enjoy life and have fun.

Also I have never seen NFR as a sad album. There are sad moments, like in Hope, The Greatest and California (like in every Lana album to be honest) but overall I find the album as light, hopeful and optimistic. Like trying to live in the moment and enjoy it as much as possible while accepting the life as it is (TNBAR, Venice Bitch, Mariners, Love Song, Doin Time, FIILY). 

Here's my two cents. It's just my opinion, you don't have to take it seriously...

btw this is not controversial. at all. the only one who makes it look controversial are psycho nfr stans, idk why, maybe because they were everywhere at one point and for some reasons the most of ones who likes, happen to be offensive and taking in personal, 

nfr is just very different from her previous albums’ nature, and i couldnt adapt to the new sound, it has nothing for what i started liking her music, plus it has everything i dislikes in music… also the way how it suddenly ran into top3 of her albums is also mysterious, by any means it’s not iconic, people may like it and listen to it more but it’s not iconic absolutely, when u can say hm and uv are iconic, in lana way, no words, i’d definitely put in the row BTD as the third, 

and maybe nfr is also so liked for that it came out at right time, due to the lyrical content, but that absolutely isn’t enough for it to be put on the pedestal, i genuinely don’t understand how one person who likes lana, can like uv and nfr equally, unless they both lays on the one’s taste, its oppositely 2 different lanas and i can never be a strong fan of the later one’s music, and i don’t want to be called out for tgat 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

1 hour ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I agree; it's really disappointing that she chooses to work with the most cookie cutter producer

It just feels like he embodies everything her music isn't meant to be

IMO NFR is the best of the albums he's done with her but I feel like that may be due to the past still influencing.

COCC, BB and DYKTUOB are lacklustre imo. Although they have highlights, I find it tedious to listen to any of them in their entirety whereas I can easily listen to her other albums without skips

Maybe it's just me not adapting to her new sound idk. Is there anyone out there who actually prefers her later albums? 

I would love to see her work with Isa Summers or just anyone she hasn't worked with before

I also think country is a bad choice on paper. I feel like it's gonna be a snooze 

That genre is one that's very nuanced and country artists spend their entire careers perfecting their sound in that genre

She has every right to switch it up and try it but it feels like you need to be all-in to succeed in that genre so idk 

yeah i know exactly what u mean here, i can’t call them bad, but as something that lana can come up with, they are pretty tedious, that’s not what i love her music for so i just can’t enjoy it as equal as her pre nfr stuff, i can say i can listen to every pre nfr song without that boredom, every single released song is unique and i never feel the need to skip it

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

If someone said that Ocean Blvd is Lana's best album, I wouldn't argue with them because I think in retrospective, this really might be her best album if we consider how she has progressed in her music with lyrics through the years. :true: 

url%5D

I find it absolutely adorable and charming when Lana is tone deaf at times. When people respond to something Lana says or does with “read the room” I always get a fucking laugh out of it and love her even more for being human. People who walk on eggshells 24/7 as to not offend anyone are fucking boring and miserable. The fact that Lana is in her own little world at times is just endearing. I feel like she’s too sensitive of a creature and it would be way too burdensome for her to be too tuned in to everyone else’s feelings about everything going on in the world all the time. 

AB6-A338-F-93-FB-4-E32-8-E3-A-565-A67-D9

On 2/8/2024 at 1:52 PM, bluechemtrails said:

NFR has the most sophisticated lyrics and the best concept of all the albums. It's a completely different level of Lana, has hardly any weak parts (apart from TNBAR or Bartender perhaps), which mainly means unnecessary overlengths or repetitive lyrics.

Ocean Blvd is also a sophisticated album, but in a different way. The range of songs is wider and the songs are more divisive, but that also means that you might only like some of them. While explicit lyrics were a good fit for the NFR concept (simply because of the album title),  I still think that she used them inappropriately in some parts of Ocean Blvd (like in the title track).

While I understand that some may not like explicit lyrics in some contexts but I personally loved how she uses explicit lyrics in Ocean Blvd title track, it's so vulnerable and ruthless at the same time, without it, Ocean Blvd wouldn't be perhaps that epic. I think that these are one of her best lyrics: "Open me up, tell me you like it/Fuck me to death, love me until I love myself".

url%5D

11 minutes ago, Embach said:

While I understand that some may not like explicit lyrics in some contexts but I personally loved how she uses explicit lyrics in Ocean Blvd title track, it's so vulnerable and ruthless at the same time, without it, Ocean Blvd wouldn't be perhaps that epic. I think that these are one of her best lyrics: "Open me up, tell me you like it/Fuck me to death, love me until I love myself".

I still haven't understand this line, it sounds so vulgar to me. 

On 2/8/2024 at 3:00 PM, Embach said:

If someone said that Ocean Blvd is Lana's best album, I wouldn't argue with them because I think in retrospective, this really might be her best album if we consider how she has progressed in her music with lyrics through the years. :true: 

I totally get you. Wouldn't say her "best" myself, but her most significative one maybe. Her best remains BB for me <3

I genuinely want to ask, without getting attacked by stans who hate anything post-Norman, why do people on this forum hate Margaret? From the beginning it was one of my top favorite Ocean Blvd songs, and then I learned it was ranked as one of the worst by most people. Lana sounds lovely, the lyrics are really good (and serve as the yang to Paris Texas' yin), it's a great post-rock / dream pop song. It sounds waltzy without even being 3/4. And it's one of the only happily romantic Lana songs.

And I know this is actually unpopular, but I absolutely love Jack's verse. 

Also the chemistry between them is amazing.

Just now, PARADIXO said:

I genuinely want to ask, without getting attacked by stans who hate anything post-Norman, why do people on this forum hate Margaret? From the beginning it was one of my top favorite Ocean Blvd songs, and then I learned it was ranked as one of the worst by most people. Lana sounds lovely, the lyrics are really good (and serve as the yang to Paris Texas' yin), it's a great post-rock / dream pop song. It sounds waltzy without even being 3/4. And it's one of the only happily romantic Lana songs.

I never hated it, but it was definitely one of my least favs on Ocean Blvd, but it has grown on me a lot. I’m not a fan of Jacks voice and he took me out of the song, if it was solo or more like LTLI, I probably would’ve initially liked it more

I love COCC and BB with all my heart, they are stunning, heartbreaking and so, so, so Lana, I don't really get how someone could not see it but to each their own.

Still, my most controversial opinion is that apart from Love, Heroin and Cherry, LFL has nothing else I listen to on even a remotely regular basis. None of the other songs click for me at all. I adore the demos of the title track but the album version just loses me. I think Change and Get Free are beautiful as poems but I don't really vibe with them while listening. To be completely honest, I'm not sure I could name any more songs from the album off the top of my head. I don't hate LFL by any means, it's just really not for me and while I understand what some people might get out of it, I struggle to understand loving the album.

7 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

personally I think it’s too long. 

When she sang it live with Jack and cut two minutes off of the end I think that’s the perfect length. Whenever I listen to it, I think it should be done but then there’s still 2 minutes left. 

tbh I feel that way about a couple songs on Tunnel. Idk I feel like she was making songs long as the antithesis of the TikTok song trend, but they’re both long, and don’t go anywhere. I also am not a fan of Jack’s verse because I can’t tell what he’s even saying 

"Don’t forget me"

8 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

agree, one of my fav songs on the album :wub:

aOaIzH2.gif