Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I don't ever post here because it seems to be the 'Come express your negative opinions so we can judge and argue against them' thread, but just to put that celeb behaviour in perspective, I'm sure you could appreciate how annoying the press must be? They'll do anything for a scoop. Poor Kate Middleton once had her hair pulled just so they could get a photo of her looking angry and out of control, just to put a ridiculous story beside it along the lines of 'Katie in rage after row with Prince Wills'.

It's like the flack Beiber got for his short circuit the last month. I honestly don't know how the press don't constantly find themselves battered to death.

It wasnt really the press she was annoyed with, it was her bodyguards telling her what to do but I know what you mean about the media/paps being awful and harassing celebs to begin with. 

don't like summer wine. at all. i've listened to it twice and don't plan to again  :runs:

and i'm not a super-feminist or something but it sometimes really annoys me how much lana degrades herself and women in general in her older music. Especially when she sings in a really high voice just to sound vulnerable and cute.... I know it's in irony some of the time, but I just can't stand it to a certain extent, in songs like Dangerous Girl. it just annoys me, like, give yourself some credit girl! Are you trying to erase all the progress women have made in society in the past fifty years?

tumblr_mg7j6rudk51qmosg3o1_500.gif

Also not impressed by Young and Beautiful.

well i guess i'll say it here instead of being a buzzkill in other threads

i don't like young and beautiful  :suicide:

You are good people. I really don't understand the hype around this song. The snippets sounded good but the song was a big let down. Mainly lyrically. I'm starting to worry if this is what she'll be pulling out from now on, I hope not. My interest is wearing off.

VyIsfwC.jpg

don't like summer wine. at all. i've listened to it twice and don't plan to again  :runs:

and i'm not a super-feminist or something but it sometimes really annoys me how much lana degrades herself and women in general in her older music. Especially when she sings in a really high voice just to sound vulnerable and cute.... I know it's in irony some of the time, but I just can't stand it to a certain extent, in songs like Dangerous Girl. it just annoys me, like, give yourself some credit girl! Are you trying to erase all the progress women have made in society in the past fifty years?

:biblio: I don't see how her singing voice has anything to do with this. She has a wide vocal range, soft, high low. She can hit notes, expressing your emotions through a song. The lyrics, the chords, and the voice is part of it. The way she sings doesn't make her any less or more of a feminist.

VyIsfwC.jpg

Woah.  :ohno:

I feel you but she's allowed to have her own views on that stuff. There will always be women who like being treated that way, women who love playing into gender roles. It's entirely her prerogative and she's not obligated at all to change the way she writes songs / sings just to mold into feminist ideals. 

14417469274.gif

not to start a debate, but how does changing her pitch one way or the other = self-degredation/anti-feminism? i've never understood the criticism (not yours specifically, i should clarify) that lana is anti-feminist/problematic bc she favors imagery that hearkens back to the 50s/60s, sings about being submissive/taken care of by a man in relationships, etc. i can't recall her ever singing that that's how women should be... she's her own woman and she owns her choices/kinks/etc. which i respect. unless there are diff specific examples i'm not thinking of idgi :/

tumblr_mg9v6lYlwT1qhhn3go1_500.png

Ok I think I might have been a bit unclear. I'm not calling her anti-feminist. I think that not all of the time, but sometimes, her lyrics talked about how much she needed a man, how dependent she was on men, etc. I completely respect her right to do whatever she wants artistically and this doesn't make me lose respect for her in any way. Don't want to come off in the wrong way but sometimes she sang purposefully high pitched and cute, making her sound younger, girly, almost weak? This is part of what makes me feel like she doesn't stand up for herself so much as a woman in her music. Just my personal opinion you don't have to agree with me, I posted it in "unpopular lana opinions" for a reason haha

tumblr_mg7j6rudk51qmosg3o1_500.gif

Ok I think I might have been a bit unclear. I'm not calling her anti-feminist. I think that not all of the time, but sometimes, her lyrics talked about how much she needed a man, how dependent she was on men, etc. I completely respect her right to do whatever she wants artistically and this doesn't make me lose respect for her in any way. Don't want to come off in the wrong way but sometimes she sang purposefully high pitched and cute, making her sound younger, girly, almost weak? This is part of what makes me feel like she doesn't stand up for herself so much as a woman in her music. Just my personal opinion you don't have to agree with me, I posted it in "unpopular lana opinions" for a reason haha

You're definitely entitled to your opinion. But there's a lot underneath the surface girliness. I think she likes to make us wonder.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Sometimes I like to think that she's giving off that "vulnerable girl" vibe as a parody, an ironic way to criticize women's roles in relationships... but then I realize that's just me overthinking everything

When i first heard Video Games i had no doubt the lyrics were irony. Then i started listening to more songs and getting into her and watching interviews, and i realized the song was very sincere. I also realized then that i like both interpretations. The song works in either context. That sort of "old fashioned" sincerity is an anomaly in a lot of today's music, and even in people in general, so i found that quality alone to be appealing and commendable. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

When i first heard Video Games i had no doubt the lyrics were irony. Then i started listening to more songs and getting into her and watching interviews, and i realized the song was very sincere. I also realized then that i like both interpretations. The song works in either context. That sort of "old fashioned" sincerity is an anomaly in a lot of today's music, and even in people in general, so i found that quality alone to be appealing and commendable. 

I don't think it's really that uncommon. I think there's a lot of shame and maybe even fear for a lot of women these days who prefer a relationship which fits traditional gender roles. There's a lot of pressure for women to move with some aspects of the feminist movement which encourage women to not be dependent on men. I've met more than one woman whose tried to guilt other women into feeling bad for wanting to take on a housewife role, or for being sexually submissive. This is part of what I like about lana. She doesn't apologise for what she perceives to be her ideal relationship, even if it creates backlash.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

i hope i didn't make you feel uncomfortable sharing your opinion, i certainly did not intend that <3 i just was unclear on what you meant. you are entitled to your opinion and even if i do not agree w it i respect that!

tumblr_mg9v6lYlwT1qhhn3go1_500.png

Am I the only one that doesn't think Lana degrades herself/women very much at all? Never got that vibe from the lyrics, I don't know..  :crossed: 

beat me and tell me that no one will love me better than you do

i like your ultra-violent swing, i like it when you treat me mean

etc.

i don't really mind it, if she wants to be submissive, it's fine with me. she's pretty obviously choosing to be submissive

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I like how a lot of the people who were praising Video Games in their song of the year lists, et cetera, said it was a statement on relationships in a modern culture (video games destroying relationships) mixed with a sarcastic kiss-off. And it just isn't, according to her. Kind of cool.

I like how a lot of the people who were praising Video Games in their song of the year lists, et cetera, said it was a statement on relationships in a modern culture (video games destroying relationships) mixed with a sarcastic kiss-off. And it just isn't, according to her. Kind of cool.

She doesn't even care tbh, too busy being fabulous.

tumblr_mdnja1E1O01r68ql4o1_500.gif

beat me and tell me that no one will love me better than you do

i like your ultra-violent swing, i like it when you treat me mean

etc.

i don't really mind it, if she wants to be submissive, it's fine with me. she's pretty obviously choosing to be submissive

I honestly just thought she was being kinky  :hooker:  Oh well, don't care. I'm not a feminist whatsoever, so doesn't matter much to me.