Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

eons ago, when UV was released and LB started chanting "Lana must go back to BTD aesthetic and sound!" is when i started thinking "?? what?? i love the sound of UV.. it's incredible..." and I was so pumped for another new direction in her sound and aesthetic with Honeymoon, so I never figured I'd be saying this.... but seriously.. even though I love Honeymoon as an album.... I really want her to work with producers like Emile Haynie again, I want her to look glamorous all the time and pull off that fierce look she used to own so well, and I want to hear the *sweetness* in her voice again and get more songs like Lolita, and music videos like Born To Die... I seriously want her to pump out songs I can actually dance to again, with a sound that appeals to the majority, like not just for myself but seeing her drift behind on the sales charts and not hit those high sales she used to makes me hurt lol, i want the masses to feel the same envy and love they had for Lana now as they did during the BTD era. don't get me wrong, i luv her and all her songs tho, but i really want her to go to a more pop sound with the next album

The Other Woman is a great cover and a wonderful album closer for Ultraviolence, as it really makes sense sonically and lyrically.

Don#t Let Me Be Misunderstood is a nice song but it somehow feels like an extra track as SwanSong is the song I would consider the "closer"

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

High By The Beach is a basic ass song with a basic beat. Its like Lana has lost her sound and writing skills. The beat sounds like something a teen would make for fun. I don't understand how people can compare this song to anything from Born To Die

High By The Beach sounds like a cheap imitation of a hip hop beat 

It makes me so fucking sad when people blatantly say HBTB is terrible and condemn it. I learned it on guitar today and almost passed out of happiness. I already made like three posts about it but I don't care. I'm not screaming everywhere that I think Freak is to my immense despair absolutely bland and that Terrence Loves You is one of the Lana songs I dislike the most, but it for some reasons make me feel really affected when people talk bad about HBTB. Because this song is so important to me, I mean it's obviously super personal, but the day it got out was really one of the best days of my life because I had a real sense of community for the first time ever and I was so scared my sick abusive grandmother would kick me out in the middle of nowhere and I was working my ass off at the factory to pay the gym and HBTB got out and the lyrics were like Lana's spirit talking for me and giving me all the power I didn't had the strength to have and convincing me that there was something worth it at the end. And the melody is just excellent. I don't care about the boring beat, it's what keeps me going. I completely understand why some people might not like it, it's a special song, and it really differs from the rest of the album. But I know I'm extra, but it does hurt me when everyone says it's one of Lana's worst songs.

ZKcaooE.png

I don't like High by the Beach. I bet some people like Lana having this badass gangsta bitch persona in this song, but for me the lyrics are just ewww.... the only thing I like about the song is the PMIAM throwback. 

It felt stronger to me before we got the whole album, it's still a nice song to get high to though

The more I listen, especially in my car, loud, the more I hear that I hadn't heard.

The production (and I can't emphasis how great it is and important that she is one of the producers is amazing.

And while some songs may be slow, they are also dances, slow dances.

Her being as if she were from the 1960s, well in the 40s 50s 60s there were slow songs and there were waltzes and shuffles.

One can slow dance and groove to many of the songs if one puts their mind into it.

Much the same way Ultraviolence had on West Coast and Shades of Cool

It's all really romantic

and one other thing- still not positive that Lana is not singing about Elizabeth or is it Elizabeth singing about Lana.

for those that might not have read it, my take on the cover photo is Elizabeth on a family tour of the stars (sister Chuck took the pictures) like a regular person who is on a tour of the stars and one of the stars is femme fatale of the film noir era Lana Del Rey.

In many of the songs, the person she could theoretically be talking about is herself. If one listens to it as that.

and one last thing-

not a bad song.

Most artists give 3 singles or 4, and don't really care if you listen to the filler.

Lana has no filler. Even if one might not like instantly a song, a month from now, that song might be the one on constant replay. No filler. (at least in my opinion)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I don't think the lyrics on Honeymoon are any better or any worse than her previous works. With time comes nostalgia and it makes her previous lyrics seem better when they're not. And then all of a sudden everyone is a literary critic picking apart every word she writes and criticising things that just don't make sense. Please, show me your literary degrees, and even then opinions are like assholes and I swear some of you have multiple holes for the excrement you spew. :*

I don't actually know why people complain about Lana's lyrics being shallow. Like who you are comparing to? Taylor Swift?

I don't care about shallow lyrics, but you could compare Lana's recent work to hear earlier work and tell that as it progressed, it got a lot simpler lyrically.

giphy.gif