Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

8 hours ago, Sugar Venom said:

i have a theory that part of the themes and lyricism in NFR was kind of an experiment to test critics/the general public. I don’t think that it felt totally authentic to her (obviously there is a grain of truth in everything she says/does, but in this case it kind of felt forced, like the smile on the LFL cover), and to me her insta debacle confirmed this. not saying she doesn’t fully stand behind everything she wrote, I just don’t think it’s her natural way of thinking about things so it didn’t feel very passionate to me, which is something I always look forward to in her music. i think that’s why she didn’t sing too many of the new songs on tour either, although not to drag her it didn’t seem like she enjoyed singing many of her songs at all lmfao

It's crazy how we all have different takes on what NFR is. I think that shows thatshe actually didn't put much thought into it and sorta just included everything on her mind without being choosy. That's why to me it feels wishy-washy and unrefined in most places, compared to previous work, but to others it feels like true authentic Lana because it feels less filtered.

I think what's on NFR IS her natural way of thinking, but it's not stylised the way we were used to before. To me it feels like she didn't go into that album with much of a goal, except to just do something new.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:34 PM, veinsineon said:

It's about as good as The Good Life 

Living Legend and LiB however...

Hide contents

4-E6-EC0-BF-DE77-43-F9-B540-1-D892411654

LIB isn’t that great either. It’s pretty easy to see why it was scrapped in my opinion, it almost feels unfinished.... something’s just missing

37 minutes ago, FloridaKiloMyself said:

LIB isn’t that great either. It’s pretty easy to see why it was scrapped in my opinion, it almost feels unfinished.... something’s just missing

I don’t think it was scrapped? I think it was just literally unfinished...

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

7 hours ago, FloridaKiloMyself said:

Keep your delusions to yourself please :sluttybunny:

31 minutes ago, CHANEL #1 said:

I really don't hate the NFR version of BAR as much as everyone else does :rip: 

100% agree. I love that she now owns that she was also obsessed with writing that album and not just him. Ok, the line “there’s something I never knew I wanted and I want it” is far from perfect, but the new chorus now refers to Heroin, which I love. And anyways, my favorite parts of BAR always were the verses and the bridge, which she kept intact. I always thought the old chorus was a bit meh and a bit contradictory to the bridge. 

1 minute ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

100% agree. I love that she now owns that she was also obsessed with writing that album and not just him. Ok, the line “there’s something I never knew I wanted and I want it” is far from perfect, but the new chorus now refers to Heroin, which I love. And anyways, my favorite parts of BAR always were the verses and the bridge, which she kept intact. I always thought the old chorus was a bit meh and a bit contradictory to the bridge. 

I have an appreciation for both versions. I don't like that she cut the outro but I actually really like the new chorus. The NFR version's chorus is so breezy and just makes you feel good. Basically you just have two versions of the track to listen to depending on your mood. Really don't get all the massive hate for the NFR version lol.

Just now, CHANEL #1 said:

I have an appreciation for both versions. I don't like that she cut the outro but I actually really like the new chorus. The NFR version's chorus is so breezy and just makes you feel good. Basically you just have two versions of the track to listen to depending on your mood. Really don't get all the massive hate for the NFR version lol.

I think many love the big FU she was giving her ex, which was good. But it’s true that the new chorus really is breezy summery. 

11 hours ago, CHANEL #1 said:

I really don't hate the NFR version of BAR as much as everyone else does :rip: 

it's like meeting a beautiful baby everyone loves and then punching it. I guess it's audacious but everyone else will see it as horrifying. 

As a quick overview, the main problem with the song is that we all heard the original, thus it's impossible to remove that positionality for some people (myself included). The original BAR told a brilliant story of schadenfreude - it was full of vitriol, Lana having the last laugh over someone who put her last and neglected her by obsessing over something else constantly, which ultimately wasn't worth it since they lost everything. She is literally one of the world's biggest alternative stars singing to (probably Barrie) 'you got bored of me trying to write music, now you're obscure, dumped and forgotten - how does that feel now you've lost everything including me?'. Anyone that says they don't understand the problem with the new one either didn't hear the original first or is just being absurd, because even Lana butchers the lyrics by moving between past and present tense, and the bridge makes no fucking sense. 

"I see you for who you really are - why the thousands of girls of girls love the way Bill plays guitar" as she realises she's under the same spell and is not different to his thousands of other disposable fans. I see you for who you really are and TOPANGA'S HOT TONIGHT!? or I see you for who you really are and I JUST WANNA PARTY WITH YOU? Could this chorus be any more fucking disparate. We've now disregarded everything before, thrown away a message people feel strongly yet so ephemerally (especially scorning your ex - hellooooooo romantic culture), and replaced it with OOOO BABY I WANNA PARTY and I wanna SEX SEX SEX you TEE HEE TAKIN' OFF MY BATHING SUIT im so cheeky and in LOVE!. :toofunny:

And another thing - the new one literally relegates The Next Best American Record to a red herring. In the original, it was an unobtainable goal that demanded sacrifices that ultimately destroyed a relationship. The fame that is being chased is what consumes them, in a brilliant self-referential way as she records what was to be her leading single and the original title of the work. In this new version, it's apparently just another exhausting aspect of the relationship but doesn't matter because 'we were just that good' and then the verse + bridge makes no references to how it impacts on their relationship. 

As we discussed in the Queer Affinity for Lana thread, I think a lot of people really loved the original since for her audience it was a lot more demure, and there is a quiet regret but also scathing taunt and victory in the final lines "How does that taste now / Now that you've lost the game / Baby how're you feeling now? / I told you". It's awesome. Empowering. Like walking slowly away from a building that just blew up as the villain delivers one last scream. We have gone on a journey from the intial adoration, to a problem being presented, to the bridge showing the villain, and then the vindication. The song is genius.

The new one disregards the entire original message and replaces it with something really, really vapid. We didn't need to hear another song about how cool it is to be in love - we had that with Love Song. I don't wanna sing along to "I'm taking off my bathing suit" - it sounds cheap and tacky. And a few other factors - it sonically does not fit with NFR, and it literally goes against what she claimed the record was about and the title song about the guy thinking he's top shit but in reality, he just actually is shit.

I've no doubt Lana just at the last minute went 'hmmm maybe it's too mean' but to shoot an entire music video for it and then reworked it? Plus can't even bother performing it in the right pitch live . . . or remember the lyrics. Ugh. It could've actually been her best song.

I will now take rebuttals and people saying "THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION". :sass:

3lfQEhw.png

I don't think there's a reason other than taste differences, but:

TNBAR > Video Games
(and even TNC  > Video Games)

On why she changed the song Architecture/BAR to TNBAR, I think she went through a process of realizing the original song, in it's negative connotation, was at least as much about her as he, so she didn't feel comfortable releasing it. 

As for Barrie, he left Kassidy, where he had a much better chance at commercial stardom, not (strictly) for LDR, but because the music he's currently putting out is in a direction Kassidy didn't want to go. His sense of "best" is more in the direction of the PJ Harvey/Elliott Smith constellation of stars, so his sense of "best" isn't even ever convincingly addressed (i.e., "all for fame"?) in the older version of the song. Both songs, as songs about artistic monomania, seem equally flawed to me, but the released version has less repetitive lyrics, and I still count it as one of the masterpieces of NFR.

11 minutes ago, slang said:

On why she changed the song Architecture/BAR to TNBAR, I think she went through a process of realizing the original song, in it's negative connotation, was at least as much about her as he, so she didn't feel comfortable releasing it. 

I would agree with this. People say "it changed because it leaked" and I think that might've had sooooome thought to it, but the overall I think she was just not comfortable with what made the song so good. I'm a very spiteful person so I really dig it, but a change of heart is probably one of the strongest aspects that trumps artistic statement.

I can't believe someone on Lanaboards used to word 'monomania' - I am swoonin' :crying:

3lfQEhw.png

Lana doesn't really have any sad/depressing songs. Most of them are melancholy at best but I've never cried to her songs apart from Starry Eyed (which isn't even released). 
Old Money doesn't make me sad either and I never understood how people can cry to it because it just seems 'meh' overall. I think there's just a lack of 'numbness' in her lyricism and voice? Same goes for Heroin, Black Beauty, Video Games, Swan Song etc (all of these I still love, but just doesn't jerk any emotion)

For example this song below I've cried to many times:

Maybe it's just a difference in taste, but I hope one day Lana makes a song that will make me blubber like a baby :crying4:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

4 hours ago, takeitdoen said:

it's like meeting a beautiful baby everyone loves and then punching it. I guess it's audacious but everyone else will see it as horrifying. 

As a quick overview, the main problem with the song is that we all heard the original, thus it's impossible to remove that positionality for some people (myself included). The original BAR told a brilliant story of schadenfreude - it was full of vitriol, Lana having the last laugh over someone who put her last and neglected her by obsessing over something else constantly, which ultimately wasn't worth it since they lost everything. She is literally one of the world's biggest alternative stars singing to (probably Barrie) 'you got bored of me trying to write music, now you're obscure, dumped and forgotten - how does that feel now you've lost everything including me?'. Anyone that says they don't understand the problem with the new one either didn't hear the original first or is just being absurd, because even Lana butchers the lyrics by moving between past and present tense, and the bridge makes no fucking sense. 

"I see you for who you really are - why the thousands of girls of girls love the way Bill plays guitar" as she realises she's under the same spell and is not different to his thousands of other disposable fans. I see you for who you really are and TOPANGA'S HOT TONIGHT!? or I see you for who you really are and I JUST WANNA PARTY WITH YOU? Could this chorus be any more fucking disparate. We've now disregarded everything before, thrown away a message people feel strongly yet so ephemerally (especially scorning your ex - hellooooooo romantic culture), and replaced it with OOOO BABY I WANNA PARTY and I wanna SEX SEX SEX you TEE HEE TAKIN' OFF MY BATHING SUIT im so cheeky and in LOVE!. :toofunny:

And another thing - the new one literally relegates The Next Best American Record to a red herring. In the original, it was an unobtainable goal that demanded sacrifices that ultimately destroyed a relationship. The fame that is being chased is what consumes them, in a brilliant self-referential way as she records what was to be her leading single and the original title of the work. In this new version, it's apparently just another exhausting aspect of the relationship but doesn't matter because 'we were just that good' and then the verse + bridge makes no references to how it impacts on their relationship. 

As we discussed in the Queer Affinity for Lana thread, I think a lot of people really loved the original since for her audience it was a lot more demure, and there is a quiet regret but also scathing taunt and victory in the final lines "How does that taste now / Now that you've lost the game / Baby how're you feeling now? / I told you". It's awesome. Empowering. Like walking slowly away from a building that just blew up as the villain delivers one last scream. We have gone on a journey from the intial adoration, to a problem being presented, to the bridge showing the villain, and then the vindication. The song is genius.

The new one disregards the entire original message and replaces it with something really, really vapid. We didn't need to hear another song about how cool it is to be in love - we had that with Love Song. I don't wanna sing along to "I'm taking off my bathing suit" - it sounds cheap and tacky. And a few other factors - it sonically does not fit with NFR, and it literally goes against what she claimed the record was about and the title song about the guy thinking he's top shit but in reality, he just actually is shit.

I've no doubt Lana just at the last minute went 'hmmm maybe it's too mean' but to shoot an entire music video for it and then reworked it? Plus can't even bother performing it in the right pitch live . . . or remember the lyrics. Ugh. It could've actually been her best song.

As someone who didn't even notice the lyric/production changes when NFR came out (:rip:) and had BAR as my least favorite song on NFR, you have now made me care about the song. Just listened to the original, and the lyrics are definitely more powerful. I'm now angry about the lyric decision, but you made me care about the song more which I appreciate. 

I guess your point is also strengthened, because I do feel that I would connect more with the song if it had been released on NFR with the original lyrics. Instead, it just became a kinda boring song to me. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't necessarily drawn to it either. Had the OG lyrics been on the album, I would've noticed over time and would've understood the appeal of the song more.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

I didn’t realize this was an unpopular opinion until I read people talking about it here...

The NFR 3-song video (NFR/Bartender/HIAB) is one of my favorite video projects Lana’s done. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

6 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I didn’t realize this was an unpopular opinion until I read people talking about it here...

The NFR 3-song video (NFR/Bartender/HIAB) is one of my favorite video projects Lana’s done. 

I only like the parking lot section with them throwing food at cops with rockets in the sky and explosions in the background, the other parts are cute but forgettable imo  :runs:

Lanarat.png

7 hours ago, takeitdoen said:

I. Love. This. Post. 

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!