Pretend

Kylie Minogue

20 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

I think it’s kinda better than Tension 1… :bebe:

I gave it a quick spin and found it trashy. Especially that Lights, Camera, Action track :facepalm: Padam Padam was pure class by comparison.

I'll definitely give it another go since you guys are praising it.  But then I wasn't a massive fan of Tension 1 either, so perhaps I'm just not the right audience for Kylie's EDM/euro trash era.

On 10/18/2024 at 9:15 AM, barttttender said:

I gave it a quick spin and found it trashy. Especially that Lights, Camera, Action track :facepalm: Padam Padam was pure class by comparison.

I'll definitely give it another go since you guys are praising it.  But then I wasn't a massive fan of Tension 1 either, so perhaps I'm just not the right audience for Kylie's EDM/euro trash era.

On 10/18/2024 at 8:53 AM, Anonymcomenter said:

I think it’s kinda better than Tension 1… :bebe:

It's crazy, I prefer it over tension I because it's much more cohesive, but I can't say I really love a single song of it (except Midnight Ride, but I love that cause of Orville Peck, became a fan of him by it) 😂 Saying that as a huge Kylie fan. Funny thing is that Tension would be my favorite album by her if it was compiled of padam, tension, story, running, Vegas baby, Vegas high and a few others. But not that crazy mix of tension I. 

On 10/18/2024 at 3:08 AM, TrashMagiq said:

Tension II sounds exactly like what I wanted Tension to be. It satisfied my craving for more Padam Padam-type songs on the album. Such a fun dancey feel-good pop album.

That's what I like about it, but I think she let her best material unreleased still. Hoping for a tension III. 

On 9/23/2024 at 8:01 PM, Anonymcomenter said:

Sooo excited for Lights Camera Action and the whole Tension 2 era :trisha::crying:

but RIP Running, Stars In Our Eyes, Electric, Piano, More Than a Feeling and Puppet… and Hello made it over all those songs :crossed:

Stars in our eyes sounds 100% like a golden track for me. Love it, but it's in my "Golden" Playlist. "More thaNn a feeling" is in my "Vegas high" Playlist, which is my own version of tension. "Hello" on tension II seems totally different from tje unreleased version. No idea which song that one familiar part of it is taken from. 

It was expensive watch it 

Someone For Me is amazing, Taboo, Good As Gone and Kiss Bang Bang are pretty great too, the rest of the new songs are not really it; they either feel weirdly sterile and in parts almost AI-generated (Dance To The Music), kinda cheap (Shoulda Left Ya), like copies of something we've already heard (Hello) – or straight up Schlagerparty [derog.] (Diamonds). And out of the collabs, Edge Of Saturday Night is the only one I LOVE love.

I know this is not meant to be a fully fleshed-out NEW album and era and rather just K16.5, but still, overall this just feels a bit messy and lacking in artistic direction. Including some of the fan-demanded songs like Running, Heavenly Body, Drum, the recently leaked Night Owl or even the original Hello in place of the Sia and Orville Peck tracks would have elevated this project immensely.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

On 10/20/2024 at 12:00 AM, Olympia said:

It's crazy, I prefer it over tension I because it's much more cohesive, but I can't say I really love a single song of it (except Midnight Ride, but I love that cause of Orville Peck, became a fan of him by it) 😂 Saying that as a huge Kylie fan. Funny thing is that Tension would be my favorite album by her if it was compiled of padam, tension, story, running, Vegas baby, Vegas high and a few others. But not that crazy mix of tension I. 

That's what I like about it, but I think she let her best material unreleased still. Hoping for a tension III. 

Stars in our eyes sounds 100% like a golden track for me. Love it, but it's in my "Golden" Playlist. "More thaNn a feeling" is in my "Vegas high" Playlist, which is my own version of tension. "Hello" on tension II seems totally different from tje unreleased version. No idea which song that one familiar part of it is taken from. 

Okay, as promised, I gave it another spin. Linking Good As Gone a lot. Need more listens to form an opinion.

But overall Kylie is certainly doing a lot better than Madonna, whose last album was a very mixed bag (mostly garbage). 

I wish Madonna had kept the vibe of Medellin throughout. Breezy summer latin infused vibe ala La Isla Bonita. Instead, the record that followed was just bizarre, talking about gun control, and whatever random stuff that popped into her head in the studio. Talk about incohesive.

9 hours ago, SlowGinFizzzz said:

Someone For Me is amazing, Taboo, Good As Gone and Kiss Bang Bang are pretty great too, the rest of the new songs are not really it; they either feel weirdly sterile and in parts almost AI-generated (Dance To The Music), kinda cheap (Shoulda Left Ya), like copies of something we've already heard (Hello) – or straight up Schlagerparty [derog.] (Diamonds). And out of the collabs, Edge Of Saturday Night is the only one I LOVE love.

I know this is not meant to be a fully fleshed-out NEW album and era and rather just K16.5, but still, overall this just feels a bit messy and lacking in artistic direction. Including some of the fan-demanded songs like Running, Heavenly Body, Drum, the recently leaked Night Owl or even the original Hello in place of the Sia and Orville Peck tracks would have elevated this project immensely.

To be honest, I hope she didn't release these fan favorites because there'll be a tension III. Tracks like running, original hello and Vegas baby wouldn't have fitted well into this record. 

It was expensive watch it 

9 hours ago, barttttender said:

But overall Kylie is certainly doing a lot better than Madonna, whose last album was a very mixed bag (mostly garbage). 

I wish Madonna had kept the vibe of Medellin throughout. Breezy summer latin infused vibe ala La Isla Bonita. Instead, the record that followed was just bizarre, talking about gun control, and whatever random stuff that popped into her head in the studio. Talk about incohesive.

at least madonna was willing to dare and step out of her comfort zone to do something different, and i find that very valid even if her experiment was not successful. kylie on the other hand… it's been at least 20 years since her last effort of doing something minimally innovative for her career, and that makes me sad because i consider her to be one of the greatest popstars ever. it's heartbreaking to see her downfall artistically putting out generic crap 

10 hours ago, details said:

at least madonna was willing to dare and step out of her comfort zone to do something different, and i find that very valid even if her experiment was not successful. kylie on the other hand… it's been at least 20 years since her last effort of doing something minimally innovative for her career, and that makes me sad because i consider her to be one of the greatest popstars ever. it's heartbreaking to see her downfall artistically putting out generic crap 

Oh, come on. Madonna hasn't tried to step out of her comfort zone since american life (2003).

Madame x, just like her past 5 or so albums, were manufactured trash for the masses. Sure, she had a few songs that were "out there" for her standards (Dark Ballet,  God Control, etc),, but the rest of the tracklist was as safe as it gets. The issue was that it was uninspired, unpolished, even stupid (even more so than MDNA, Hard Candy, etc, which at least had some level of polished bubble gum pop to them).

At least when Kylie does "Kylie-by-the-books," she does it right, and we still get fine tunes like Padam, Padam, Tension, or Magic. 

Kylie > Madonna.