Sign in to follow this  
FROGGO

STAN WARS: 4th Quarter Album Releases - Who are you supporting? [POLL ADDED]

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your most anticipated pop girl release?

• Katy Perry
    • Lady Gaga
    • Rihanna
    • Britney Spears
    • Beyonce
  2. 2. Which artist do you want to FLOP FLOP FLOP?

• Katy Perry
    • Lady Gaga
    • Rihanna
    • Britney Spears
    • Beyonce

Hahaha! I honestly don't even get how she obtained this ~untouchable status. Like, how did that happen? Did I sleep while she was out there conquering the world or something?! I don't think she's as big in Europe as she is the US, so maybe that's why I'm a bit confused as to why she's suddenly the ruling queen of all pop stars? To me, the only truly memorable Beyoncé songs are Crazy in Love and Telephone - and the latter isn't even hers lmao! Idk, maybe I'm just out of touch. :pft:

@Ellipses she is big everywhere. :ohno:  :toofunny:  I know all her lyrics yet I only have one album. I dont listen to her in my ipod so I guess I should blame the radio. :facepalm:  I have no idea if I like her or not. I did a post on her thread and you can see her concert in SP. It was insanity I never saw anything like that. Little Monsters seem like normal blocks compared to that. I cant find any resonable explanation why B Jesus is Jesus. I just know that she sells arenas like Jesus would :hdu:

was talking about her the other day with my dad (our dad so you know is a advertiser/MKT and works basically with entertainment, politics and fashion) and he told  me a lot of topics why Beyonce was  created and why she was able to carry the character.  She is too US music what Neymar is too Brazilian football in my dads theory. Anyway I will talk about this with you later.

glgcDdT.gif

I'm not being serious hahaa ~ maru wanted us to shade so i was just throwing a little for fun :lel:

:creep:

I can agree to a certain degree about Beyoncé. I think of all artists listed she is the most driven, yet she may not be the most creative. About the iconic music, no matter how good something is, unless its universally heard and successful it can't really become iconic IMO as its not recognisable or whatever. I think Beyoncé although may not have a wide library of "iconic" hits, whereas someone like Britney does. Beyonce is far more consistent and I think that's more important, she isn't a peer among rihanna, Katy perry, britney because I don't think her intentions are the same. She isn't looking for hits. She explained exactly this in Life is but a dream, discussing longevity instead of hit after hit.

The aura around her and Jay Z is weird. They've had the title of royalty bestowed on them, and people do look to them as gods (me included lol) partly for entertainment but they are a real power couple and both make great music IMO.

There is a great Destinys Child clip filmed in 1997 when Beyoncé would have been 14 or 15 whilst recording the album and the other band members are just goofing around like kids that they are and Beyoncé is just there for the business, she's carrying Wesley like a grown woman lol. I don't think she was much of a child, she had very pushy parents and I think she has always been driven, hard working and self aware and that's why I respect her!

Overall I think beyonce is just very talented

Not rihannas #PhuckYo rockstar attitude which she pushes so hard that she is even trying to convince herself

I don't know what it is, I just can't get behind an artist that consistently says, "I want to be a legend". The consistency in which she says this and in which its evident makes it seem as though her music is an after-thought; she's chasing that legend status first and foremost. I really and truly believe that of Beyonce. I just don't understand why someone would have that be their primary focus instead of their craft and work, but hey, to each their own.

Her albums have a tendency to be mediocre (except for 4, I'm a sucker for old school R&B  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter: ) I think Beyonce's artistry is sorely lacking. As you mentioned, she's not particularly creative. She's not a risk taker. She's the epitome of safe. She's too concerned with maintaining her current stature within music to ever do anything outside of the box, and to me, that exemplifies the "music is an after-thought, legend-status is of utmost importance" she seems to hold near and dear while making decisions. I just really think her music is suffering at the result of it. She doesn't need to have hits, but churning out mediocre album after mediocre album certainly isn't helping her cause imo.

I totally agree with you on her being the most driven artist in the industry right now. If I had Beyonce's drive, holy fuck, I could have a Phd right now. Or have published 4 novels. Or own my own business. Or be one of the most successful people in my area of expertise, whatever that may be.  :creep: We'd all be crazy successful if we had her work ethic  :defeated:

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

She definitely doesn't push boundaries but I don't think that boundaries constantly need to be pushed in music, a reason why I loved 4 so much and as you stated it's completely the opposite of new, she chose to make an old school R&B record instead of some dance music.

I do think if you are not writing your own music you can never be an artist just a singer.

Btw in my last post Herself was auto corrected to Wesley :raven:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I want to be a legend is a big statement. IMO what makes Beyonce different from most is what she is smart about and not how smart she is. The combination of factors and personal characteristics IMo that made her so successful are:  choices, taken opportunities, drive and most of all discipline. Beyonce shares a very important quality, IMO, with queen Madge: discipline. Her concert is meticulously thought: minutes to interact with fans, a easy singing along song for fans to sing with her. Fans have their own moment with B Jesus. She is meticulously polite not too much not too little. Her coreography is creative but also not that hard to learn, is sexy but not offensive. Beyonce is cool not edgy there for she is family friendly. You never saw B Jesus showcase her LIttle B in nightclubs or flash her boobs drunk as a saylor. The same discipline she has in her work she has in her personal life

Beyonce has a very good voice for sure she can reach high and low notes easily. Also a very reconizable voice. Her songs get richerr with her powerful voice. Makes you think Halo is almost as emotional and spetacular lyrically as Someone Like You. Check Halo lyrics or any of her lyrics....they are nothing without her powerful voice. Her voice makes the song not the other way around.

Her lyrics are not mediocre but are not complex so anyone can sing along. I agree and disagree she doesn't push boundaries I would say she does sometimes but not in a obvious way. A legend needs respect from her peers so Beyonce pushes boundaries in a artistic controled way. Single Ladies is a insane video if you think about it: doesn't have any cut. That's artisticaly edgy and very hard to accomplish and even harder to do it well. She did it really well. One of my top videos tbh (aka Kenye's moment of truth). Other great video is Run The World is so fashion forward that got her several fashion magazines covers.

She is also black in a not obvious way. The use of African drums and beats can be heard in many songs. Maybe a way to state her black female power going back to the roots without the need to be "in your face". Her  fashion choices  in videos and often in concerts are also a "black women" statement but enver in a obvious way. Several mentions to African traditions. They are quite visible in Run The World.

Agree everything her management releases is thought in every single way: it's a MKT lesson folks. Classy but not posh, family friendly but not boring. IMO opinion she is boring most of the times but I would love to have her disicpline. Drive Rihanna and Katy also have but they lake discipline. Imagine being queen B Jesus....must be quite boring. Having to be perfect all the time. Calculating every word, every smile, every hand shake, every wave you give, every dance move and etc. Can you imagine Rihanna being that disciplined?? Never. That's why, iMO, she is B Jesus. That and her big reconizable voice.

glgcDdT.gif

Can we also talk about Ariana Grande's new album :hairflip:

i'm so ready. i don't care if you judge me, it's gonna be amazing

September 3rd, that's 3rd quarter boo  :hooker: 

I am so ready for an album of Mariah knock offs and late 90s/early 00s Rnb influenced jams  :defeated: 

She also takes the whole Lolita look to an entirely different level that Lizzy/Lana has never done  :P

She is also black in a not obvious way. The use of African drums and beats can be heard in many songs. Maybe a way to state her black female power going back to the roots without the need to be "in your face". Her  fashion choices  in videos and often in concerts are also a "black women" statement but enver in a obvious way. Several mentions to African traditions. They are quite visible in Run The World.

This is super interesting that you mentioned this. I think I'd add on that she's also black, but in a non-threatening way. It's interesting to think about the code-switching she's obligated to do because she's chasing success through a pop-oriented route and not a hip hop one.

Well then :slowhairflip: i suppose that's okay then

I am so ready for an album of Mariah knock offs and late 90s/early 00s Rnb influenced jams  :defeated: 

I'm not sure if you're saying that negatively or positively .. but i'll pretend it's a good thing? :runs:

She also takes the whole Lolita look to an entirely different level that Lizzy/Lana has never done  :P

And that's not even a lie .. cause she looks 13, but she's gonna be really sexy in the Baby I video hahaha

and i'll feel dirty about it :suicide:

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

I'm not sure if you're saying that negatively or positively .. but i'll pretend it's a good thing? :runs:

And that's not even a lie .. cause she looks 13, but she's gonna be really sexy in the Baby I video hahaha

and i'll feel dirty about it :suicide:

Oh, believe me, I think that's a great thing. I am so ready for a throw-back album and everything that's been released so far has had on-point production.  :flutter:  I'm definitely ready for it, I just worry that it's going to be the kind of album with killer singles and filler-everything else, as is the case with most debut albums of Disney/Nickelodeon stars. :ohno: 

You're right, she looks damn fine in the shots we've seen so far!  :defeated: It's just so odd that she perpetually looks 13 when she's capable of looking like this. :creep:

Oh, believe me, I think that's a great thing. I am so ready for a throw-back album and everything that's been released so far has had on-point production.  :flutter:  I'm definitely ready for it, I just worry that it's going to be the kind of album with killer singles and filler-everything else, as is the case with most debut albums of Disney/Nickelodeon stars. :ohno: 

You're right, she looks damn fine in the shots we've seen so far!  :defeated: It's just so odd that she perpetually looks 13 when she's capable of looking like this. :creep:

edit: WHERE DID THE REST OF MY REPLY GO??

edit2: what is happening to my text post.

edit3: sorry i had to write it so aggressively this is the 3rd time i've had to write it

YAY WE CAN FAN GIRL

CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR IT (HOPEFULLY IT DOES/DOESN'T LEAK)

HOPEFULLY THERE ARE MORE KILLERS THAN FILLERS

HER BELIEVE TOUR SET WAS AVERAGE SO IM WORRIED, BUT HER VOICE SOUNDED AMAZING

I'M PUMPED

HAHA! I KNOW! It's so freaking weird, how can you so easily be a child but then be :hawt: the next minute omfg 

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

This is super interesting that you mentioned this. I think I'd add on that she's also black, but in a non-threatening way. It's interesting to think about the code-switching she's obligated to do because she's chasing success through a pop-oriented route and not a hip hop one.

Well you can see in that foccus  but I meant in a different way. Was a compliment to her using and showcasing her blackness in a queen way. Inteligent actually. The soul queens of MPB and political rappers in Brazil, when they are black, they showcase themselves in that african way. It's a common statement here: not from the guetto even if they are born in a slum. It's a reference towards culture and sophistication not money. In Africa Blacks were queens and in lot of countries they still are.

Beyonce is Queen B remember? Not B from the block. Her clothes in Run The World and in several concerts and a couple videos are a reference to AFrican Queens. Also part of her coreography in her last tour (forgot the name :tsk: ) was created by dancers from Angola and Mozambique. Both portuguese colognes rich in oil and that remarks the age of glory of African queens.

glgcDdT.gif

DEAD at no one anticipating Rihanna  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

How can something be anticipated when it happens so often? :toofunny:

I can't wait for all of you to seethe when Blackout 2.0 slaughters the charts. Britney is writing for it & her label is giving her full creative control so I know it'll be her best work yet. To those that think her music "isn't hers" or that she "couldn't write a single decent song on her own," you should check out Everytime, My Baby, Mannequin, Touch of My Hand, etc. as there are PLENTY of newer & older songs she wrote herself that were very good. If you decide not to see for yourself, that's fine. Stay pressed while Brit knocks your fave off the charts this winter.

:whitney:

14417469274.gif

How can something be anticipated when it happens so often? :toofunny:

I can't wait for all of you to seethe when Blackout 2.0 slaughters the charts. Britney is writing for it & her label is giving her full creative control so I know it'll be her best work yet. To those that think her music "isn't hers" or that she "couldn't write a single decent song on her own," you should check out Everytime, My Baby, Mannequin, Touch of My Hand, etc. as there are PLENTY of newer & older songs she wrote herself that were very good. If you decide not to see for yourself, that's fine. Stay pressed while Brit knocks your fave off the charts this winter.

:whitney:

i thought u like lady gaga too lol

First, let's just take a moment to appreciate how more people want Beyonce to flop than who are interested in her music. Amen. :gclap:

I don't know what it is that makes me so not like her....she even has a few good songs like bad dream...but I just wanna throw her in a trash can and leave her there for some reason, I don't know why...

I would say that I'm most looking forward to ARTPOP, but like....that Aura demo was so lame that I am not so excited for that album anymore, I mean, 2 years for that? :toofunny:  Stefani you suck!

So I'll go with Katy here, I always loved her, she puts out good music always, and the Roar snippet seems really good so far, and I like the corny teasers she is releasing, whatever that video will be like, it sure will be interesting! Oh, and only 2 days until we get it :woot:

I like Rihanna and Britney too, I kind of want Rihanna to do better because I like her more, but Britney will probably outsell her because she is a legend and all of that. I just hope her album will not be full of fillers, with Britney it tends to be that her albums have 4-5 great songs and the rest are just bleh.

Well you can see in that foccus  but I meant in a different way. Was a compliment to her using and showcasing her blackness in a queen way. Inteligent actually. The soul queens of MPB and political rappers in Brazil, when they are black, they showcase themselves in that african way. It's a common statement here: not from the guetto even if they are born in a slum. It's a reference towards culture and sophistication not money. In Africa Blacks were queens and in lot of countries they still are.

Beyonce is Queen B remember? Not B from the block. Her clothes in Run The World and in several concerts and a couple videos are a reference to AFrican Queens. Also part of her coreography in her last tour (forgot the name :tsk: ) was created by dancers from Angola and Mozambique. Both portuguese colognes rich in oil and that remarks the age of glory of African queens.

I definitely understand how you meant it and she most definitely does do it in a very "regal", elegant way. No one can accuse B of being anything but that now! 

(Also, I wiki-ed MPB and have now fulfilled my "learn about one new thing" goal for this day  :hairflip:)

I think it's interesting to dissect both layers (the urban side of living in the black American South and the regal side of honouring your ancestry) simultaneously and how one works with one another. Admittedly, it's something I don't know much about nor can I begin to understand the black experience in America for... well, very obvious reasons. :P

I think approaching and honouring your ancestry in a very regal way is something that is far more digestible and appropriate for the GP, especially in the case of a black artist. I'm not too sure how much of a choice it is, between one or the other. It seems that the Queen-like route she went is the only acceptable way to honour a facet of her culture and heritage considering her place in music and her current success. Would she have the same success if she were far more open and daring with her more urban roots, or to use other people's words, if she were "more black"? (I cringe at that phrasing :facepalm: ). Could she still obtain and maintain the same level of success? There are many things blacks have to do in order to be seen as "acceptable": code-switching is one, relaxing hair and weaves would be another, etc. Of course, image is a huge part of success. Would she still top Most Beautiful/Sexy lists if she wore her hair kinky and natural? Would she still get million dollar endorsements and deals? I'm inclined to say no, unfortunately. The associations made with more urban culture are and/or a traditional black look can be quite negative: unintelligent, lower-class, crass, etc. 

If she were a hip hop artist, this would be expected of her, almost welcome in a way... but she's not. She's an R&B artist with increasingly pop leanings, because pop is THE GENRE if you seek superstar success. All the greatest, most legendary, successful acts in the world are essentially pop. And to reach that world-wide audience, unfortunately she has to monitor the urban side of her, be more presentable, non-threatening, be safe. She is still urban though. To use your phrasing (although not verbatim), she's urban, but not too urban. Classy and regal, but not posh and uppity. I think it's a very delicate balancing act, something she has to consider because of the colour of her skin and her upbringing. It's certainly not something Katy Perry or Lady Gaga have to take into consideration, y'know? She's always batting off criticism for "acting too white" or "not acting black enough" (wtf?!) and it's enough to make my head spin and I don't know how she deals with this crap. It's really disheartening how urban culture can in some instances be positively correlated with being "un-respectable".

Because of this, I would say that her honouring her ancestry in that sort of Queen way that you described is the only acceptable way for her to be proud of her being black in her artistry (i.e., still being able to maintain her status and success on the incredibly large scale and scope that she has).... and damn, does she do it well.

:defeated: 

*shrugs* Anyway, I like studying the racial implications of things, if warranted. I probably shouldn't have hijacked this thread and dragged you into this conversation in the middle of "stan war thread". Ooops! :P

What does that have to do with my post though? :illumarina:

I think she's okay.. I don't care for her over-glorified image or anything but I like some of her music.

lol nothing sorry hahaha i was just quoting u :/, i read on this forum i dont remember when that u liked her so i was asking :x

The thing is that Rihanna is the only guaranteed success on this list. Look what happened to Ke$ha. It could happen to anyone! :hdu: But Rihanna's marketing is a well-oiled machine. And yet she's the most prayed-for flop :toofunny:

Idk who is voting for Britney because she's like the least offensive person ever

Beyonce is Queen B remember?

The only Queen B I know is Lil' Kim.  :smokes3:

The thing is that Rihanna is the only guaranteed success on this list. Look what happened to Ke$ha. It could happen to anyone! :hdu: But Rihanna's marketing is a well-oiled machine. And yet she's the most prayed-for flop :toofunny:

Again: Queen. Only a bad bitch could simply breathe and go to number one, keeping the wall-less bottoms bitter and seething.  :ohmy:

I voted for Katy to flop, naturally. Fuck her and her tin foil bus.

tumblr_nbdq8rb2Ps1qz85zpo1_400.png

Idk who is voting for Britney because she's like the least offensive person ever

I'm not terribly invested in Rihanna, but she's in this underdog position now among us crazy music stans and I just need her to take time off and come back with a critically acclaimed album that she had heavy input in and didn't just phone in the vocals. I JUST NEED HER TO DO WELL TO PROVE EVERYONE WRONG BUT SHE NEEDS TO TAKE TIME OFF FOR THAT TO HAPPEN :defeated: 

Seriously though, can you imagine Rihanna making a personal, cohesive (perhaps flowy!) album without this faux-thuggery she's adopted? I JUST NEED IT IN MY LIFE. :cuteface: Gimme dat concept album or her version of Blackout, pls. She can make snide remarks about Ciara all she wants but at the end of the day, Ciara recently dropped an incredible album that while isn't comparable to Rih's success, has been far more well-received than any of her recent efforts.

Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y.

And I'm also side-eying those that voted for Britney. She hasn't ever said a single bad thing about anyone or shaded anyone and she doesn't have horrific, off-putting stans. She is a SWEETHEART. FOR SHAME. FOR SHAME.  :crossed: SHE'S ALSO A CASSIE STAN, WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE???  :flutter: 

I am praying for Blackout 2.0.  :ohno: Britney is my most anticipated and I am proud to say it.