StationToStation

FKA twigs

did not expect the album to sound this theatrical. fallen alien, mirrored heart and thousand eyes are so melodramatic (not in a bad way)! also noticing that a good amount of the songs have long instrumental intros! really interesting sound so far. on daybed right now, which is beautiful so far 

edit: DAYBED KIND OF GOES OFF......... will def be slept on though

first impression:

1. fallen alien really goes off, it's so angry. it feels like a heavy, manic yet confident post breakup song (the theme reminds me of Lana's In My Feelings in its confidence). the song feels like she's about to like.... fight someone. it's like no other song she's ever released.

2. sad day didn't hit as hard as I thought, probably because I'm listening to a le*ked version. can't wait to hear it on Spotify for real

3. mary magdalene, like sad day, doesn't hit as hard as I thought. the intro to the track is so long and honestly beautiful. I need to hear a better quality version. I think it has some of the most interesting themes on the record. it really does feel like the centerpiece to the record.

4. daybed is so much better than I thought it would be. the production is incredible.

5. mirrored heart is more electronic than I expected. it's really good but feels a little rushed in some areas, I wish she let the song breathe a little more. I enjoy the live performance a lot better! it sounds more emotional in concert.

6. thousand eyes is a song I probably won't listen to often. I really thought it would go off with bass and percussion and the weird sounds it had in the live interlude version but it stays pretty flat throughout. it kind of drags on and doesn't go anywhere, but it's still beautiful and her vocals sound amazing.

other thoughts:

- vocals sound.... almost too clear at parts? reminds me of Florence's High As Hope in that it, at parts, sounds like they didn't do many vocal takes. I got used to the demo-like vocal quality after a few listens of HAH though, so I'm sure I will with this too

- the tracklisting is kind of strange. I want to reorder it. mary magdalene fallen alien and mirrored heart sound really off next to each other... same with thousand eyes home with you and sad day...

- really obsessed with how crazy fallen alien sounds.... we need a live performance and music video. easily in my top three.

- cellophane still reigns supreme. one of her best, truly.

first impression is that it's an incredible album with very few missteps. I love each track for different reasons. 8/10 on first listen, though I have a feeling it's a grower and will prob be a solid 9/10 in no time even though I have a critical ear

I can't at Sad Day being slept on. Its sounds like something a young Kate Bush would do these days. Its so Running Up that Hill. And that delicate piano sprinkled in there is just... *chefs kiss*

I agree its actually a pretty soft song, but still really intense. It might my favorite new song I've heard in a while. 

edit: ok she does absolutely go off on fallen alien though too, damn

edit:edit: It's crazy I wasn't even anticipating this record that greatly for whatever reason but when the snippets came out my interest was piqued. Now hearing the whole thing I think it might truly be my front-runner for album of the year. It's so human where her first almost presented her as something alien. Its like the perfect hybrid of Kate Bush and Bjork.