Sign in to follow this  
TIARNZUS

Lana To Perform At The Itunes Festival, London

Wow, this has got to be one of her best, if not the best live performance she's done. I am really impressed.

Lana, please tho, we need a new setlist. I think we deserve one by now. Sing Cola and Gods & Monsters. :teehee:

Edit: I'm now on MDM, and with every live performance I hear of it, the more I wish she didn't hold back so much with the vocals in the studio version. I love it when she hits those crazy notes in the chorus.

14417469274.gif

I wrote this in the introductions section, but thought it fitted better here...

Thanks all of you!! Okay here's what happened at the iTunes Festival:

So I'd applied for iTunes tickets a million times, and of course, I didn't get them. It was the dream show for me - only about 15 minutes from my house, and it was free! I decided to try and get into the festival with two of my friends. They both like Lana and know the lyrics off Born To Die, (one of them came with me to meet her in April), but you couldn't call them fans. We all had school that day, and because I've just moved schools, it was such a pain for us to meet up. We got there as quickly and we could, at 5 o'clock. The doors opened at 6 for people with tickets, and they were supposed to start letting standby queue people in at 8.15, (if there was any space). When we got there there were about 25 or so people in the queue for ticket winners, and about the same in the standby queue. If we had tickets, we were early enough that we would have been able to be front row, so that was pretty annoying. We joined the standby queue, and hoped for the best. By the time it got to 8.15, there were probably about 200 people behind us in the standby queue - it was mental! People with tickets were still coming, so they had no choice but to let them in instead of us. At 8.40ish they let some standby people in. At 8.50, we finally got to the front of the queue, when the staff went inside, locked the venue, and basically left us standing in the cold and dark after waiting for 4 hours. I hadn't expected to get in really, but it was the fact that we were at the front, and that all evening all I heard from tickets winners was 'She used to be called... Lizzy? She has blonde hair or something.' Also people were saying how they didn't even want to be there, they just got the tickets for the sake of it. I was so pissed off about that. So when they locked the doors, I started crying. I'm not a crier normally - I barely ever cry. It was just that I was bitterly disappointed. At about 8.57, they man who chooses who goes in from the standby queue looked through the doors and saw me crying, spoke to a few people, then held up 2 fingers and beckoned me. Me and my friends looked at him totally bemused as there were 3 of us. The man said, 'If you want to see her then come on!' I said, 'Please can my other friend come? We can't leave her!' He just rolled his eyes, so I kind of shouted at him a bit, but he agreed. Out of 3200 people, we were the last people in the whole venue. At that point, me and my friends started screaming and hugging, and I was properly sobbing out of joy... okay, that's totally looserish and sad, but I was just so happy. My friends were both crying a bit, too. We got our wrist bands, and went racing up the stairs to find her! The security guy started laughing and said, 'Calm down!' and I was flapping my arms and sobbing like a total freak. We burst into the venue just as Blue Jeans was finishing. Of course we were right at the back, but as we're all short people didn't really mind us pushing. By the end we were about 15m away from the stage. During Body Electric I couldn't stop sobbing, and for the rest of the show I cried the whole way through. My friends were being so nice, as everyone was giving me kind of weird looks, but they knew it kind of meant the world to me to be there. Lana was amazing, as you all know. It was flawless. I was shaking so much. I was thrilled that she did Radio, as she doesn't do it live that much, and it's my favourite song on Born To Die. At the end of the night, I could have waited to meet her after, but my friends had school the next day and still had a ton of homework to do, and I thought that I've met her before, and I don't really want to take the opportunity away from people who haven't by taking up her time. That sounds so weird and stupid, but I just didn't see the need. I mean, she's messaged me, followed me, I've met her, and had just seen her live... what more could I want? Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to tell you guys. It was as good as meeting her, I think, as it looked like we weren't going to get in, and just watching her show live was so emotional as I watch every single one she does in other places. To finally be there was so overwhelming. Hope you're all okay! <3

one time, lana del rey told me that I made her day~ it was awesome

Thanks for sharing this experience with us, it was an interesting read! You're so lucky! And that man is so lovely for letting you all in, he clearly could see how much it meant to you. However, I don't think you should have 'shouted' at him - I'm sure he would have let all three of you in if you had been really nice and polite too. I'm really glad that he let you in and that you had a good time though! :)

20r46kx.jpg

Thanks for sharing this experience with us, it was an interesting read! You're so lucky! And that man is so lovely for letting you all in, he clearly could see how much it meant to you. However, I don't think you should have 'shouted' at him - I'm sure he would have let all three of you in if you had been really nice and polite too. I'm really glad that he let you in and that you had a good time though! :)

It's okay! I know, I couldn't believe it! By shouted, I just said quite loudly, 'You can't let us two in and leave our friend here outside.' My friend asked him politely but he wasn't really listening. It was such an amazing night:')

one time, lana del rey told me that I made her day~ it was awesome

It's okay! I know, I couldn't believe it! By shouted, I just said quite loudly, 'You can't let us two in and leave our friend here outside.' My friend asked him politely but he wasn't really listening. It was such an amazing night:')

Oh right, ah I understand! That's totally cool then.

Aw good! :)

20r46kx.jpg

I just now got around to watching this. Her stage setup with the plants and palm trees really is brilliant, i will never tire of it. I really hope that when this gets released they do a better mix, especially turning the guitar up, as it's way too low in the mix. But i’m not complaining, it’s probably the best live recording we have of hers. Body Electric still kicks my ass to the floor. I still maintain that that song sounds like you’re gloriously passing on to the other side. She needs to NOT sing over the sublime string outro though, Jesus. Did anyone else cringe during “like a freakin’ dream i’m livin’ in”? Family Friendly Lana! Postmodern Lizzy in jeans, cut Budweiser sweartshirt, and hideous black kicks, ha! She is generally so endearingly awkward. I kind of hate that she is always saying “I love you” though. Talk about that phrase being abused and losing meaning, sheesh. But i don’t know, obviously it’s not my place to dictate when it’s okay and not okay for someone else to use it. I love that Blake plays a white hollow body Gretsch and that he sits down <3 I kind of like how anticlimactic the very end of her shows are, it’s amusing.

Like everyone else, i wish her setlists were more varied, but i have a theory as to why it’s always the same, bear with me for a minute...Perhaps they are trying to keep costs down. Think about it: someone has to be getting paid to arrange the songs for strings (i suspect Blake and especially Byron do their own parts) and then transcribe them for the players. I would think that the more songs that get added, the more this arranger needs to get paid because, well, it’s more work. Also, even though professional musicians can play this stuff in their sleep (at one point during BE the camera cuts away to the cellist’s sheet music and you can see how it’s just all whole notes, haa! These ladies are probably nodding off during these shows) she travels a lot, never staying in one place for too long, and the quartet changes as she travels, and i imagine that any new set of players need to be comfortable with getting the sheet music the day of a show and only be able to rehearse once that same day, so i’m sure that having a small number of songs makes things go smoother for everyone. I don’t know, just some speculation that might explain why she plays the same set of songs every time. Though now that i think about it more, i guess she could always spontaneously bust out a song that Byron might already know and just do it without the quartet, as she does with MDM and Carmen.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Yeah, that too. Maybe it's a bunch of different reasons. Maybe these were the only songs that she felt translated well to piano, guitar, and string quartet. Maybe some label influence too?

I think it's because she wants her show to be string oriented with dramatic feelings to it - hence the piano and the quartet, the guitar adds some jazzy, blues notes. Diet Mtn Dew and OTTR definitely lean toward hip hop style. She's not going to have a drummer in her crew and make him play 2 songs. It's more about being practical and logical I guess.

up45I.gif

Yeah, i suspect that, no matter what the reasons, there is a considerable amount of practical considerations and logistics involved, the kind of stuff that doesn't even cross most fans' minds.

Anyway, someone should ask her about this. Let's bring back the what-would-you-ask-Lana-if-given-the-opportunity-to-interview-her thread!