Sitar

Promo Single: "SHADES OF COOL" (May 26)

This song is fantastic. I think dan taught Lana to be more spontaneous and the results are great. Instead of working with the same people over and over she has used a different producer, a different director, a different photographer. I love the fact the timing of the song is more like a live performance than a typical studio track.

One of my favourite songs is Are You Here by Corinne Bailey Rae. The chorus in Shades of Cool sounds VERY similar imo, which I'm happy about because I always imagine Lana covering Are You Here

1:50

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

The more you listen to it, the more you will like it. Or maybe I just had to listen to it loudly (I swear, I'm going deaf :crying2:) because I now think her nasally voice suits it perfectly... somehow. 

This song is fantastic. I think dan taught Lana to be more spontaneous and the results are great. Instead of working with the same people over and over she has used a different producer, a different director, a different photographer. I love the fact the timing of the song is more like a live performance than a typical studio track.

One of my favourite songs is Are You Here by Corinne Bailey Rae. The chorus in Shades of Cool sounds VERY similar imo, which I'm happy about because I always imagine Lana covering Are You Here

1:50

The "Rae" :brows: 

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

REALLY like this song, and I love UV's direction musically thus far. Shades grew on me faster than West coast did, and listening to it loudly on repeat with the pouring rain outside, it was love. and those vocals, oh those vocals! :thankyou:

The guitar sounded "bad" though, like it wasn't layered onto the track properly or something.

I am a shark,  beware of my bark

Well I guess the solo and her voice at this part aren't mixed perfectly. You don't know what is supposed to be the "main act" at this part of the song. Still it sounds very nice, but I also had to get used to it.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

it's so damn beautiful omg! i also cried when i heard it for the first time. the chorus is so lovely! i don't think i ever felt such a strong nostalgia, it makes me want to lie barefeet in a garden of roses at sundown while wearing flowers in my hair haha. if the whole record is going to be like this and west coast i'm simply gonna pass out :lange: :crying:

I wonder how many teenage girls will be running away from Lana when Ultraviolence is released. It's so different lmao
I wonder how many teenage girls will be running away from Lana when Ultraviolence is released. It's so different lmao

why should they run away from her? don't understand that, haha. of course it's different but wasn't btd already different too? idk, i'm 16 and i already love ultra more than btd. after all it's still lana just with another style but with the same beauty and i see no reason to stop liking her because of that ^^

I find that SOC sounds like a demo. I like, It's passable but I don't catch more than that.

yeah, it's kind of forgettable. pretty, but it pales in comparison to what we have of "ultraviolence" and even "west coast."

let me be who i'm meant to be

I have been listening to the song all morning, and I am not sure if anyone has commented on this already, but I am so undone over the fact that Lana channeled all of the goddesses of the Motown era to vocally produce this track. Work, Lana. I am surprised that I did not hear it at first. Am I the only one who gets Diana, Gladys, 50s 60s doo wop tease, especially from the chorus? The last little bit SMACKS of Minnie Ripperton, and yes, I know she is not of the Motown era. There is even a bit of bird whistling in the background during Lana's humming that alludes to her paying homage to Miss Minnie, the queen of the sickening, bird like whistle note. Yes, Lana. She has clearly studied the mothers of music.

I have been listening to the song all morning, and I am not sure if anyone has commented on this already, but I am so undone over the fact that Lana channeled all of the goddesses of the Motown era to vocally produce this track. Work, Lana. I am surprised that I did not hear it at first. Am I the only one who gets Diana, Gladys, 50s 60s doo wop tease, especially from the chorus? The last little bit SMACKS of Minnie Ripperton, and yes, I know she is not of the Motown era. There is even a bit of bird whistling in the background during Lana's humming that alludes to her paying homage to Miss Minnie, the queen of the sickening, bird like whistle note. Yes, Lana. She has clearly studied the mothers of music.

Yes yes yes yes 100 percent! Definitely minnie

so am i the only one that doesn't like this? only thing i like the sound of at this point is brooklyn baby..

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

I love this song. It sounds like one of her songs that would leak without actually getting a release - the songs we all wish she would release. This to me sounds like an evolution from Prom Song (Gone Wrong) in a way. Prom Song is written from the adolescent side of love while this is written from an experienced one - one that has dealt with heartbreak, loss, and trying to move on.

I absolutely love it.

I disagree on it sounding like a evolution of Prom Song Gone Wrong, because it would need to be more upbeat and a different topic. It sounds more like Million Dollar Man. But I do agree that this song was written in a more heartbreak experienced way. 

I love it too. And everyone complaining about the vocals are crazy. I think that it sounds fine. Every song we heard so far has been fire. :heart:

I liked West Coast from the beginning. I just hope there will be more faster tempo songs tho.

I never followed these artists (well, maybe 80s Diana Ross :flop:), so that's interesting to learn!

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I am in love with SOC. The first time I heard it I enjoyed it, but didn't think that I would fall "in love" with it. Then I went back and listened a second and third time and I can't get enough of it. It sounds like something straight out of a Bond movie. I actually sent the vevo link to several of my friends who have no taste dislike Lana's music and they all enjoyed it, so that says something.  :oprah:  I don't know what she did, but she is nailing this era (with this song alone). The line "and when he calls, he calls for me, and not for you" is the ultimate FU to all the ex-women and I LOVE IT  :defeated:  I've never been more excited for June 17th. Oh, and for the record, I am 23 and felt like an old woman at the show last month. I've never seen so many teenage girls in one space. My ears still hurt from the shrieking  :facepalm: