ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

When she announced the name of Ultraviolence how did she do it? Was it to paparazzi?

I'm hoping something might be in the works soon, maybe a single, because surely she wouldn't be allowed to talk about this stuff to magazines if it wasn't near ready for release.

qsVmBMd.png

When she announced the name of Ultraviolence how did she do it? Was it to paparazzi?

I'm hoping something might be in the works soon, maybe a single, because surely she wouldn't be allowed to talk about this stuff to magazines if it wasn't near ready for release.

She announced the title in the Tropico premiere while talking to fans IIRC

tumblr_msfqg0hpqG1sx7kg2o5_250.gif

1. MARBLE PRINCESS

2. DADDY (TROPICAL SHIRT)

3. HOW MUCH WOOD CAN MY SIS CHUCK, CHUCK

4. LITTLE RED RIDING HOE

5. HIGH AS A MOFO

6. BOTOX BLUES

7. SONICALLY, VISUALLY, THEMATICALLY

8. F U CEDRIC

9. ANGELS

10. LILITH

11. EDEN

these are golden.

Also if Lana had a song called "Lilith" I might fucking melt. Like... I would implode.

So... Wow...

I just read through 90% of this thread and.... 

I gotta say I'm really kind of overwhelmed, shocked and ultimately disappointed by so many of the comments I see here. It would seem that a large majority of the fans here really don't give a fuck about the content or concept of Lana's music as long as we "get a new look for the era" or she stops doing "boring jazz" (which is an oxymoron) or she stops wearing "jeans and tshirts" or starts "using makeup." Again and again the comments here read like a tug of war with everyone pulling her in all different directions. This is one of the first times I have ever truly hoped she does not ever read this forum. There used to be a lot of constructive, thought out criticism here from people who had a wealth of knowledge about music- from genre specialties to music history- and could discuss Lana's work in an interesting way. People could really discuss the cultural significance of what she was doing or dissect her lyrics. This is all just like... "stan" vomit. And if Lana were to ever read through this... Wow... I can't imagine. I would be SO uninspired to see what my fans were discussing and valuing about my art. It's not that there is criticism- I have read thoughtful critiques on her work here before that I wish Lana could/would read because I think they would inspire her so much. However, so many of the comments here miss the mark completely on what is important. She is an ARTIST. Allow an artistic process to HAPPEN. She is not your barbie doll to dress up and style. She is a person who is trying to communicate her soul through a difficult business called the Music Industry that has become LESS and LESS about the actual music.

Do you guys see how so many of us have been conditioned to value the PACKAGE over the PRODUCT in this industry? They are destroying our minds and our ability to appreciate diversity and art in the music world. By us placing so much emphasis on how she looks, we keep perpetuating the kind of business models that starved funding our of Ultraviolence. Labels send interns onto forums like this to get a read on what the fan bases are looking for, what they want. The music industry has taught you to care more about Lana's hair than her words, so now when a label lackey comes on here to read through this garbage, what they will report back to their bosses is "They want a pretty girl, the music seems so secondary." This means, ultimately, more label control. The label could pressure Lana into a package she isn't comfortable with and as a result, we get a less authentic and self-expressing artist. 

This is all hypothetical, but this is how things happen. Consumers of art need to seriously take more responsibility when using their voice. 

I can't imagine how I would feel if I read through pages and pages of comments that missed the point of what I do completely. I would be completely devastated and hollow. 

(Not to say that EVERY post was like this, but I'm just highlighting a few that really stuck with me. Come on guys, we can do better than this. And I'm not even saying Lana's look isn't important to some degree- as she has often used it as an extension of expression of the music. But come on, some of these comments... We are smarter than that and we care about Lana's authentic expression more than that... right?) 

*snap*

Well, I guess that is mainly because it is easier to talk about things like that. Knowing Lana, you can argue about how she may visually perform "Honeymoon" and "Music To Watch Boys To" quite easily. Sound is something, which you can hardly argue about without hearing something, and since Lana's predictions have been ... not the most concrete or reliable ones so far, it's hard to talk about it.

Nontheless, alot of people have been talking about sonical aspects here.

And the shirt thing ... It's superficial, but i can understand it. If you like the music of an artist, it can be very disappointing if this artist isn't doing anything with it visually, especially if the artist is known for doing this very well.

And on a (more general) side note ... Lana NEVER did jazz, anyway. With lots of goodwill, you may call some MDM performances and the SG verses as well as SOC jazz-influenced. And TOW may originally be a jazz song. But still, so far jazz has only been one of her favourite words and maybe one of her main influences for UV. That's it. Neitehr any real "future jazz" nor "classic jazz". So all the talking about how jazz is boring or not is kind of useless.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Someone mentioned  that the ultraviolence video was like a transition to honeymoon, because she was a bride in the video. If i ever meet her I want to ask if that was intentional.

Do you guys see how so many of us have been conditioned to value the PACKAGE over the PRODUCT in this industry? They are destroying our minds and our ability to appreciate diversity and art in the music world. By us placing so much emphasis on how she looks, we keep perpetuating the kind of business models that starved funding our of Ultraviolence. Labels send interns onto forums like this to get a read on what the fan bases are looking for, what they want. The music industry has taught you to care more about Lana's hair than her words, so now when a label lackey comes on here to read through this garbage, what they will report back to their bosses is "They want a pretty girl, the music seems so secondary." This means, ultimately, more label control. The label could pressure Lana into a package she isn't comfortable with and as a result, we get a less authentic and self-expressing artist. 

HOLY SHIT THIS RIGHT HERE

I was a record store yesterday and was so amazed on how much music there is, and I just though how silly these stan wars is and how we obsess over the "package" as you cal it, too much.  At the end of the day, the music that we hear is the most important part.

But Lana understands the whole 'package' thing though, hence why she creates visuals for her music.......

There's nothing wrong with liking the visuals as much as the music, its half the reason I love Lana, that doesn't make me a bad fan at all. I appreciate her music and love it but her visuals are so interesting and great to watch.

If people want to discuss what hair colour they want her too have or style of clothing, thats fine, they're not unappreciative of her music, they're just stating what else they want visually.

Lana releases her music commercially whether her music is or isn't so the whole package is important. 

I personally love her jazz music so I'm happy for more of that but just because some people would rather not have it doesn't make them a bad fan.

qsVmBMd.png

LANA DEL REY 'THE HONEYMOON' TRACK LIST:

His Obsessed End

Music To Watch Boys To

Lover Without A Cause

Little Bitch (Skit)

SNL Blues (feat. Ashlee Simpson)

Flowers In The Mist

Bye Bye Barrie

Meet Me In The Elevator (Eminem diss track)

Intelligent Destruction

Lanaconda

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

The Honeymoon (Skit)

But Lana understands the whole 'package' thing though, hence why she creates visuals for her music.......

There's nothing wrong with liking the visuals as much as the music, its half the reason I love Lana, that doesn't make me a bad fan at all. I appreciate her music and love it but her visuals are so interesting and great to watch.

If people want to discuss what hair colour they want her too have or style of clothing, thats fine, they're not unappreciative of her music, they're just stating what else they want visually.

Lana releases her music commercially whether her music is or isn't so the whole package is important. 

I personally love her jazz music so I'm happy for more of that but just because some people would rather not have it doesn't make them a bad fan.

I agree with you as well, I think what Hunter meant to address is in terms of the general public* who never go deep enough as we have done with Lana and her back-story, / (or) and see her as a product rather than a human that sings/plays instruments.

*applies to the 10 year old twinks on twitter as well  :slayty:

Her visuals, as she mentioned in interviews, are parts of her vision that goes hand-in-hand with her music. And visuals here doesn't only means music videos. She seems to have constructed her 'looks' to match the era/album style, that's why she is so sophisticated in BTD/P (and all those Marilyn Monroe similarity) and more laid-back, minimal make-up with UV. If she were just an commercial singer whose image has to be polished and well-looked after with the the record label, then it wouldn't have been liked this (it would have been more consistent and glamorous). It is actually a gift for her since not many artist can (or do) express their vision visually like Lana. There are other artistic legends but Lana is truly one-of-a-kind.