ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

What do people think of TLY, given that they listened to some of the other tracks from HM? 

I don't get the lukewarm response, it really is exquisite. I especially like the little satellite noises in the mix. It's very subtle. People complained about the brass in the chorus being too brief, but I kind of liked that, as though the song suddenly tuned in to some jazz station in another galaxy, it's like Lana said, it's "jazzy" not jazz, it verges on jazz in its influences, maybe only superficially, but I think that reflects the mood: driving in the dark listening to the radio, constantly changing channel to find something to listen to, but nothing quite fits or stays for long, the jazz influence is there but ephemeral, which by extension fits the theme of death if the theory involving Bowie's brother is true.

Can you guys tell me more about 24?

I'd say its probably the most forgettable track in the album, I only remember the line that's like "there's only 24 hours in the day" and that's it

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Which songs are fast (or at least bops like HBTB and Freak) and which are slow ballads (like Honeymoon and TLY)?

Pretty much everything is fairly slow, there's no real bops apart from HBTB. It's kinda like the slow part of West Coast transformed into an entire album.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Can you guys tell me more about 24?

It sounds like a film track, very 50s/60s and I don't know if it's the lq or I can't differentiate the instruments but I want to say almost Spanish influenced.

party.gif?w=1100

I wonder how big of a role she played in the production. I feel like she actually was decently involved? She said she her ideas would always clash with producers so it would make sense she wanted to produce

I think she played a big role, because this is her first album without "one-album-only" producers. She worked with a huge friend (Rick) and a ~studio mate (Kieron). And, if I'm not mistaken, she's credited as the second producer in every track expect Burnt Norton.

I've been so busy lately and finally got caught up on the 50+ pages of you guys freaking out  :rip:  

I gave in and I'm listening to the recordings, and everything sounds so good. Love The Blackest Day so much I can't get over it

What do people think of TLY, given that they listened to some of the other tracks from HM? 

In my opinion, TLY is the worst on the album. Every other song on the album makes TLY sound like a reject  :toofunny:

I don't really get what's the visual universe and the imagery for this one : BTD used very popular pop figures from a large variety of vintagy/Tumblr-like icons, UV merged with a real finesse some jazz references like Chet Baker with 70s/60s rock bands in a whole Californian/hazy feeling (even her photoshoots for mags around this time had her dressed up in these grunge attires). But this one is a little bit all over the place : Italian cheesy soft ice cream ( :hooker:) ​godfather ints, jazzy songs, 50s exotica, gospel, trap beats, Bob Dylan... I get that in most part she's mixing a lot of diverse 50s influences with a modern sound, but idk.