Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

Azealia Banks Not Okay With Gay Men Using the Word 'Bitch'

I liked his post because I agreed with his statement, like I did for any other post I agree with on this forum. It's not based in personal attack or to 'come for you' in any way. And the fact you are immature enough to complain about me liking a post is infantile. I'm not on this forum to back up anyone's ego, it's a post that I liked, end of story.

I wasn't really intending to imply any reason why you always seem to "Like" his most terribly argued posts, especially ones that suggest people should be dismissed based entirely on who they are (this time that the facts they present should be dismissed, not only their opinions!), just that you can always be counted on do so. It's an idea that I think is bad enough that people should be called out for agreeing with, end of story.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Oh he brings out the textbook definitions. Look, if a woman told me yes it's offensive and to stop using it, I'd listen. But you're a male (masculine?), so…

The only statement that I agreed with, I don't you @@evilentity, so therefore there wouldn't be a reason for me to even like the comment for anything else(?)

I wasn't really intending to imply any reason why you always seem to "Like" his most terribly argued posts, especially ones that suggest people should be dismissed based entirely on who they are (this time that the facts they present should be dismissed, not only their opinions!), just that you can always be counted on do so. It's an idea that I think is bad enough that people should be called out for agreeing with, end of story.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

This is far from the only time she's said really questionable shit about gay men. I'm really mystified why so many people, especially gay men, are giving her a pass on that. Is this sort of like how so many of you give Lana a pass on stupid shit she says because you stan her music? Are you so dug in defending Azealia's side in other Twitter spats that you can't do the mental gymnastics required to side against her in this one? I've never understood why it's so hard to say someone's in the wrong when they are just because you generally like them or generally agree with them, or say someone's right when they are just because you generally dislike them or generally disagree with them. I've never had much of a problem with that.

Not that I necessarily disagree with the sentiment here but I don't think there's any real obligation to feel super passionately about her statements when they're most often not very serious at all and I don't like the implication (IMPLICATION!) that there's something problematic going on with gay men supporting her. Nor does it boil down to "giving a pass" based on music, at least for me. Nor should you eliminate the possibility that people actually agree with her outside of appreciating her as an artist. (Though you won't find me mixed up there--she says lots of smart stuff and lots of incredibly stupid shit and the latter doesn't really move me because I have a lot of faith in her developing politics anyway.)

I don't like the implication (IMPLICATION!) that there's something problematic going on with gay men supporting her.

I haven't implied that there's something problematic about gays men supporting her generally. Just that I don't think she should be given pass by anyone on her history of questionable comments about gay men. Though many people, including gays, have made that implication and I wouldn't say that opinion is without any merit.

Nor should you eliminate the possibility that people actually agree with her outside of appreciating her as an artist.

Um, so where did you read that into my post largely about disagreeing with people you generally agree with when they're wrong?

:uh:

I haven't implied that there's something problematic about gays men supporting her generally. Just that I don't think she should be given pass by anyone on her history of questionable comments about gay men. Though many people, including gays, have made that implication and I wouldn't say that opinion is without any merit.

Um, so where did you read that into my post largely about disagreeing with people you generally agree with when they're wrong?

:uh:

Your argument appeared to only be allowing for the possibility that people are blindly supporting her where they should be disagreeing :uh: "I'm really mystified why so many people, especially gay men, are giving her a pass on that." As opposed to, ya know, not having to give a pass bc they agree.

It's very easy to say "I didn't mean to imply such and such" but that is in fact the interpretation your post offered most clearly so I'm just saying bro. "Especially gay men"--unnecessary

Your argument appeared to only be allowing for the possibility that people are blindly supporting her where they should be disagreeing :uh: "I'm really mystified why so many people, especially gay men, are giving her a pass on that." As opposed to, ya know, not having to give a pass bc they agree.

If you read what I wrote carefully, the antecedent of the word "that" in the sentence you quote was her history of saying "really questionable shit about gay men". Are you saying people should agree with all the questionable shit she's said about gay men?

It's very easy to say "I didn't mean to imply such and such" but that is in fact the interpretation your post offered most clearly so I'm just saying bro.

The interpretation my post offered most clearly... if you ignored half of what I wrote. Just saying bro.

"Especially gay men"--unnecessary

Good god, this is getting fucking ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with merely expressing surprise that people seem to be giving a pass to someone saying offensive things about a group and being even more surprised that many people in the group in question seem to be giving them a pass. The latter is simply a recognition of the sad reality that people who are not part of the group often don't care as much.

Lately you almost seem determined to read things into my posts that aren't there.

If you read what I wrote carefully, the antecedent of the word "that" in the sentence you quote was her history of saying "really questionable shit about gay men". Are you saying people should agree with all the questionable shit she's said about gay men?

The interpretation my post offered most clearly... if you ignored half of what I wrote. Just saying bro.

Good god, this is getting fucking ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with merely expressing surprise that people seem to be giving a pass to someone saying offensive things about a group and being even more surprised that many people in the group in question seem to be giving them a pass. The latter is simply a recognition of the sad reality that people who are not part of the group often don't care as much.

Lately you almost seem determined to read things into my posts that aren't there.

No evil you're just determined to never allow anyone else to take offense to anything you say or have an alternate view :biblio: I said I didn't disagree with you I'm just pointing out how your post was problematic. Stop being so defensive.

No evil you're just determined to never allow anyone else to take offense to anything you say or have an alternate view :biblio: I said I didn't disagree with you I'm just pointing out how your post was problematic. Stop being so defensive.

Way to once again completely ignore most of the substance of what I wrote and just deflect by labeling it "defensive". Excuse me for the natural desire to want to be properly understood and not have people take offense. But there's no surer sign of a person no longer able or willing to defend their argument than responding to an opponents' point-by-point rebuttal with a cry of "Stop being so defensive!"

Now this notion of me not "allowing" anyone to take offense at what I say or have a different view is a very curious rhetorical construction you're using here. If I were truly capable of that, and determined to do that, as you say, we wouldn't be having this back and forth, now would we? I'm no more capable of that than you are of not allowing anyone to question your view or taking of offense. Because, though you hide it in this rhetorical disguise, that is the implication (yes, IMPLICATION! :P): that you're somehow entitled to be able to express your different view or offense-taking without it being questioned or challenged. If someone does, they're somehow not "allowing" you to have a different view or take offense. Isn't that what a discussion forum is for? To discuss, debate, and challenge each other's ideas?

I'm perfectly fine with someone having a different view or taking offense with something I said. Just don't distort my view, take offense at your distorted view of what I said or knee-jerk react to phrases that in isolation vaguely sound like they might be offensive, but in context of the point being made are not, and then expect me not to take issue with it.

:crossed:

Would it completely undermine my point or the original point of this thread to end my post with the bitch fight emote?

:bitchfight:

Way to once again completely ignore most of the substance of what I wrote and just deflect by labeling it "defensive". Excuse me for the natural desire to want to be properly understood and not have people take offense. But there's no surer sign of a person no longer able or willing to defend their argument than responding to an opponents' point-by-point rebuttal with a cry of "Stop being so defensive!"

Now this notion of me not "allowing" anyone to take offense at what I say or have a different view is a very curious rhetorical construction you're using here. If I were truly capable of that, and determined to do that, as you say, we wouldn't be having this back and forth, now would we? I'm no more capable of that than you are of not allowing anyone to question your view or taking of offense. Because, though you hide it in this rhetorical disguise, that is the implication (yes, IMPLICATION! :P): that you're somehow entitled to be able to express your different view or offense-taking without it being questioned or challenged. If someone does, they're somehow not "allowing" you to have a different view or take offense. Isn't that what a discussion forum is for? To discuss, debate, and challenge each other's ideas?

I'm perfectly fine with someone having a different view or taking offense with something I said. Just don't distort my view, take offense at your distorted view of what I said or knee-jerk react to phrases that in isolation vaguely sound like they might be offensive, but in context of the point being made are not, and then expect me not to take issue with it.

:crossed:

Would it completely undermine my point or the original point of this thread to end my post with the bitch fight emote?

:bitchfight:

evil big strong man evil always right

When I was sixteen I was one of those guys that was close friends with a lot of girls, so I used to call them "bitch" or "slut" jokingly, but that was only really because that was how those girls addressed each other within that circle, and don't worry I made sure they took no issue with my use of the word also they were all total bitches anyway so how else would I address them?

I have straight male friends that call me a fag, and I honestly get more annoyed by people that constantly come to my aid whenever someone takes issue with my sexuality. I don't know, Azealia's definetly right, in this case, about that double standard. But I use the word bitch all the time with my friends, no one's ever taken offense. I guess it's just a lot different for a black female rapper communicating with brain dead spoilt racists over twitter.

Also, can anyone explain to me what that fucking cupcake joke means? I've seen it in a few threads before and I honestly don't get it.