Fluorine

Charli XCX

really, you should just burn him a copy of True Romance..

Yeah not enough True Romance songs tbh.. If the point is to introduce him before he sees her live he's going to be really confused because you didn't put most of the big songs she will sing live on that CD... She's not going to play anything like photography or dinosaur sex. And those songs are definitely not her best, they are acquired tastes after you've already gotten into her from True Romance.

@@Hundred Dollar Bill 

hmmm idk... I mean, I like all of Charli's songs so it's not bad, but leaving off You (ha ha ha), You're The One, What I Like, AND Nuclear Seasons? Those are 4 of her best and most "iconic" songs (I know I'm using that word wrong, but idk how else to say it. They are her signature songs and singles)

I would never introduce someone to her without at least 3 of those 4... The 5th song I would consider one of her signature songs is Stay Away, so at least you've got that, but I would definitely get rid of Art Bitch, Smile, Photography, and Dinosaur Sex! for those 4 (just personally. Everyone has different tastes)

If I added those songs though, the mixtape would hardly be a mixtape, as it'd be like 60% True Romance songs. I purposefully steered away from that..

You're the One is basic as hell.

You (Ha Ha Ha) is hardly even her song, so yeah.

What I Like is really good but again, didn't want to put all of TR on the mix.

The only one I really do think belonged on there because of its necessity as a Charli song is Nuclear Seasons, but I don't love that one enough to have included it, and I think that Stay Away & Grins did the job of filling her most "iconic" song slots in my mix.. though Stay Away would have been included anyway, because it's one of her best songs. 

I know the ones you listed that you think I should remove aren't "iconic" but I wanted to showcase old Charli too. Art Bitch is one of her best old ones, Dinosaur Sex is too awesome & weird to not be included IMO, and Smile is just God, how can you deny that one??? Omg, it's honestly like everything Nuclear Seasons wasn't, to me anyway. Photography is also really good old school Charli I think. 

I'm seeing her Wednesday. Any songs outside of True Romance I need to learn?

SuperLove!! Also, you should at least get the SUPER ULTRA MIXTAPE. Heartbreaks and Earthquakes too, but definitely SU. 

really, you should just burn him a copy of True Romance..

Yeah not enough True Romance songs tbh.. If the point is to introduce him before he sees her live he's going to be really confused because you didn't put most of the big songs she will sing live on that CD... She's not going to play anything like photography or dinosaur sex. And those songs are definitely not her best, they are acquired tastes after you've already gotten into her from True Romance.

I want to make him a legitimate fan, though. Not just a concert puppet. I'm well aware that she's not gonna perform the old songs. 

Dinosaur Sex is way better than half of True Romance tbh. 

14417469274.gif

I want to make him a legitimate fan, though. Not just a concert puppet. I'm well aware that she's not gonna perform the old songs. 

Dinosaur Sex is way better than half of True Romance tbh. 

I don't think a lot of people would like DS if they weren't already a fan. DS is really old and she'll probably never make music like that again. That's like giving him 14 and expecting him to like it right off the bat (back) [whatever the expression is]. You should give him True Romance along with her mixtapes.

Guys all her best stuff isn't on True Romance :horror:

Yeah because you've been a fan for a while already. I agree as well but…..

I don't think a lot of people would like DS if they weren't already a fan. DS is really old and she'll probably never make music like that again. That's like giving him 14 and expecting him to like it right off the bat (back) [whatever the expression is]. You should give him True Romance along with her mixtapes.

Yeah because you've been a fan for a while already. I agree as well but…..

:facepalm:  i get it but it's a mix, what do you want from me

14417469274.gif

I've been a fan for over a year before True Romance came out and I still don't think Dinosaur Sex is a good song... True Romance is better than MOST of her old songs.

:toofunny:

Ok, Dinosaur Sex isn't like a "good" song, but it's a good song. 

14417469274.gif

The song that made me fall in love with Charli was Photography, actually. Everything just kinda came after that.

That being said, some of her best stuff IS on True Romance, because we're talking about present-day Charli. Give them all the singles from Stay Away onward, add in SuperLove, Grins, Set me Free, and Lock You Up. Glow and End of the World.

Then you've got a good Charli sampler, promo galore.

You're trying to make them like her sound, you don't need to get 'em to start thirsting for Jungle Time yet.

X----into me, into you----X

Also I would disagree that "You (ha ha ha)" is hardly her song unless you want to say that about ALL of her songs since she doesn't have producing credits on any of them. She wrote all the lyrics, only the production was effected by the sample.

edit: Oh yeah and Lock You Up is hands down one of her best songs, so it's a shame if that's not on there either but I don't remember. I was just immediately noticing the lack of all her singles.

edit again: and maybe it's just me, but I don't think you have to be a fan of all the old songs and demos she's embarrassed of to be a "true fan". I like a lot of those songs, but I wouldn't say people who only really know True Romance aren't true fans... After all, that's the only album she's OFFICIALLY released... She doesn't even like most of her old songs. And tbh there's no denying that the quality of True Romance is overall much higher than songs like Dinosaur Sex, even if you personally like them for their quirkiness or whatever.

Personally, my approach to getting someone into Charli would be to give them True Romance, maybe minus a few of the worst songs and plus a few of her better quality unreleased tracks and then let them decide from there to listen to more because they are already hooked. The first songs I heard by Charli were Stay Away and Nuclear Seasons, and it was from those songs that I decided I had to find the others, although I knew they weren't AS good. I find it hard to imagine someone getting hooked from Dinosaur Sex and Photography if they haven't heard already Stay Away and Nuclear Seasons (just as examples). Photography and Dinosaur Sex are novelty songs to me, that I can appreciate because I'm a fan.

Also I would disagree that "You (ha ha ha)" is hardly her song unless you want to say that about ALL of her songs since she doesn't have producing credits on any of them. She wrote all the lyrics, only the production was effected by the sample.

edit: Oh yeah and Lock You Up is hands down one of her best songs, so it's a shame if that's not on there either but I don't remember. I was just immediately noticing the lack of all her singles.

I say it's hardly her song because she took the backing track from another artist that already made it for themselves (same with Grins). 

The huge difference is that with other songs on True Romance, she worked with her producers to make her own song. Like, she worked with Ariel and he knew what she wanted, how to execute her ideas, etc. That didn't happen with You (Ha Ha Ha) because the backing track was already made by someone else, without her input. She doesn't need to physically produce a song by herself for it to be hers, she just needs to work with the producer and make sure her sonic ideas are created in the final product. 

Lock You Up is on there!! That's one of my favorites. 

14417469274.gif

Also depends on your audience. I dragged a couple of friends to my Charli show and made them a playlist where I emphasized early songs and gothy stuff because it's more their speed than the "glittery" (The Lorde, Heroinesiates 3:11) True Romance. And they ended up loving the show! Old and new Charli aren't completely different entities. The same way that her current music can help one like the older songs, some of the older music can ease you into newer Charli. ffs I totally wrote off "You're the One" but it was "Art Bitch" that got me.

If HDB's chosen right, then his boyfriend loves sexual reptiles :hooker:

PS did I ever talk about my Charli show? She signed my vinyl!

edit again: and maybe it's just me, but I don't think you have to be a fan of all the old songs and demos she's embarrassed of to be a "true fan". I like a lot of those songs, but I wouldn't say people who only really know True Romance aren't true fans... After all, that's the only album she's OFFICIALLY released... She doesn't even like most of her old songs. And tbh there's no denying that the quality of True Romance is overall much higher than songs like Dinosaur Sex, even if you personally like them for their quirkiness or whatever.

christ i am so flustered i don't even know how to say what i want to in response to this

you guys were basically telling me to give him True Romance because that's what she'll perform at the concert, 

but that is only 13 songs

a legitimate fan of an artist will delve deeper than just official releases of that artist to hear more music

if you just listen to True Romance, you're a casual fan okay. love it all you want, but if you don't like her enough to look into more than just her official releases, then you're not a "true fan"

i don't care how rude it sounds, it's fucking true. 

honestly though, i don't see why people put such a negative connotation on only being a casual fan. it's not a big deal, who cares what kind of fan you are. 

but i made this varied mix because i want him to really like her and be a super-fan so we can talk about more than 13 songs when only some of them are even worth talking about 

14417469274.gif

That didn't happen with You (Ha Ha Ha) because the backing track was already made by someone else, without her input. 

I agree with Grins in that way I guess because it's literally just her singing over the song, but if you listen to "You" by Gold Panda, it's not exactly the same. There was definitely a lot added to the production besides the sample.

edit: no need to get angry  :ohno: I just truly believe that True Romance holds many of her best songs and that while it would be a shame to listen to ONLY True Romance, one should at least listen to most of it. That's only MY opinion. Maybe what I like about Charli is different than what some of you like. I hate photography and Dinosaur sex, so that does seem to be the case.

(I Love I Like You and Too Cool though, which everyone seems to overlook)

It's just irritating because

Me: hey guys i made this mix cd

Everyone: oh that's all fine but you should totally take off those songs and add these 

Me: but then it's not a mix, it's literally just an official album

Everyone: yeah just use the album, your mix sUx lol 

obviously exaggerated but that's basically what happened

and it's just really frustrating

looks like good old HDB is back with his short fuse and awfully long & defensive rant-posts! :party: 

14417469274.gif