Fluorine

Charli XCX

in my opinion the general public will eat up whatever its put in front of them, they are not hard to satisfy. CTMP its marketable, its just a matter of the media/label/radios outlets to push it.

but anyways, i wanted to talk about Charli 1999 promo from the label and how it performed. 

Like I think we can tell that the record label has some confidence in Charli since the website and the CEO or someone said that she has a new album coming out next year. So do we think the company is satisfied with 1999? I think they are the ones that are putting in on the radio right? idk how these things work. This is me being optimistic maybe even if they dont get as much as they wanted from 1999 maybe they will give her a reasonable money allocated for her, like instead of funding a super big tour and everything they do something more in the middle range, like have her perform in big ass cities around some continents, release some merch ect. 

I think one of the reasons Charli is being very careful is because maybe she feels that they might not green-light something makes, and loves. Because the label will get super in her business if it is an album. 

not enough people talk about the Lucky Ö Remix it is literally orgasmic holy shit

Omg yes it really is, the part at the end where it sounds like a voicemail literally sends me ❤

they haven't done much since 2015, I think all they've done together this year is screw it up. they have around 30 songs, don't think we will hear any others besides blow your mind or pop the balloons tbh

Will we get screw it up by the end of the year like she promised or early 2019

Jealousy's a disease bitch get well soon

i don't understand why she needs to be succesful to get an album release. like literally most of the singers on the same level of being famous like charli, can release whatever they want but not her.

i don't understand why she needs to be succesful to get an album release. like literally most of the singers on the same level of being famous like charli, can release whatever they want but not her.

Bc Charli initially had a lot of success and I think that Atlantic hopes that at least with her they can try to milk some more of that until she’s young and hot which is stupid af bc she clearly doesn’t give a fuck about it

Responding to why she can't seem to get an album out, this is my thoughts...

Charli is in a compromising position when it comes to her label... True Romance bombed after three attempts to launch the era, she was an alternative pop artist in 2011 through to 2013 and I don't think they knew how to manage to her. With Sucker they didn't really have anything to lose, only gain until the success of Fancy and Boom Clap. Once Boom Clap became a huge global hit, Sucker was delayed and watered to down to be more pop and appealing - even the single choices prove this. She had two top 10 hits and top 20 album in the UK. I think at this time her label kind of had an idea of who she was as a popstar and how to market her.

Then in 2015 she changed her sound again, obviously her vision for XCX3 being much more pop - but experimental. Vroom Vroom marked the beginning of the 3rd album era and she even stated she wanted it to be the first single from the album. Atlantic obviously didn't want to push the SOPHIE tracks (being too inaccessible for the GP), hence her launching her own label and releasing it that way. Once again Atlantic got her to water down the music and make it more commercial, After The Afterparty being the lead single and it flopped, just making the top 40 in the UK.

Then we had Bounce, and the negative feedback of that performance in the US. So they went back to the drawing board and attempted to relaunch the album with Boys, bringing in new producers and new writers (her only single she hasn't written) - even though it was a viral hit, it didn't do any better than After The Afterparty on the charts. And then a draft of the whole album leaked - meaning she could drop it there and then and flop or go back to square one.

All in all, I think Charli's ever evolving sound and vision may have been the problem, her label just didn't know what to do with her. They tried the emo-alt pop aesthetic, then she went punk pop and then dabbled and stayed in PC music for a while. They're isn't much consistency in terms of appealing to a larger audience, not necessarily a bad thing, just makes her music difficult to market.

With artists like Dua Lipa, Rita Ora, Zara Larsson etc. You kind of know what you're getting, with Charli it could be anything judging by her discography. 

I know we all complain but I think the best thing has happened with her delaying the album and dropping the mixtapes and singles instead. She was able to explore sounds and collaborate with artists; experimenting much more than she would've been able to on an album - also her fanbase has grown massively since Sucker, and she finally has a sound that's unique to her.

Off the back of 1999 and it's success, it's obvious that her label now want to try and launch an album - I'm not expecting huge success but it's a step further.

Charli will never be commercially successful again and we have to accept that...

There isn't a single song she could release that would get her Top 10.

I don't understand your logic. She's already achieved multiple top 10 hits as a solo artist and a collaborator. Her latest single in a year just peaked at #13 off the back of minor promotion in the UK.

Charli is 8 years into her career, but to the public she is still an up and coming artist, she's experienced success previously but I think her best is yet to come. With the right song and promotion I think she would easily bag another top 10 hit if not several more in the upcoming years.

Charli is 8 years into her career, but to the public she is still an up and coming artist

omg this!!! shes been in the biz for as many years as Lady Gaga but she's also been very inconsistent with fame and record releases (not that it's completely her fault) that the gp still sees her as a "new" artist

Charli is difficult to "break" because she doesnt have a gimmick surrounding her. Image is huge in music now. No one would have cared about Post Malone if he didn't look like a redneck trying to look like a rapper who acts like a fratboy. All of these soundcloud rappers that seem to be popping out of nowhere rely heavily on their image. Charli is just authentically herself and making the music that she likes, and thats really hard to break in the age of instagram clout.

Then in 2015 she changed her sound again, obviously her vision for XCX3 being much more pop - but experimental. Vroom Vroom marked the beginning of the 3rd album era and she even stated she wanted it to be the first single from the album. Atlantic obviously didn't want to push the SOPHIE tracks (being too inaccessible for the GP),

ok, so i totally understand the viewpoint that you have in regards to the label being apprehensive to the SOPHIE sound, but this was the same year that Bitch I'm Madonna came out... like, the sound was accepted by the GP  (I've had locals single out that song specifically as a highlight from madge's album) I'm not sure if it was a lucky move by madonna, or if the sound itself was accepted by the GP? (I can imagine charli herself singing the song and it working just the same)

sorry if im aggressively incorrect, i'm drunk

Charli is difficult to "break" because she doesnt have a gimmick surrounding her. Image is huge in music now. No one would have cared about Post Malone if he didn't look like a redneck trying to look like a rapper who acts like a fratboy. All of these soundcloud rappers that seem to be popping out of nowhere rely heavily on their image. Charli is just authentically herself and making the music that she likes, and thats really hard to break in the age of instagram clout.

she's extremely gimmicky. her whole image is gays/poppers/bikini tops/joggers. the GP just cares about Post Malone bc the GP hypes up lazy masculine bullshit. she's just too queer for the current zeitgeist of dumb straight bitches 

ok, so i totally understand the viewpoint that you have in regards to the label being apprehensive to the SOPHIE sound, but this was the same year that Bitch I'm Madonna came out... like, the sound was accepted by the GP  (I've had locals single out that song specifically as a highlight from madge's album) I'm not sure if it was a lucky move by madonna, or if the sound itself was accepted by the GP? (I can imagine charli herself singing the song and it working just the same)

I feel like Bitch I'm Madonna flopped (at least where I live) and the production was also a lot of Diplo who was also huge at the time

It's just purely opinion haha. I think Madonna is able to take more risks as an established artist who already has a legacy, she has a worldwide fan base who've supported her for 30+ years and therefore maybe less pressure from the label for success - plus her single had big names like Diplo and Nicki Minaj involved.

Whereas Charli had only experienced some success with one album and maybe the label felt it was too risky to release the SOPHIE tracks (especially as an introduction to her new album) after having hits with Boom Clap and Doing It - ultimately steering her towards more watered down versions of experimental pop.

she's extremely gimmicky. her whole image is gays/poppers/bikini tops/joggers. the GP just cares about Post Malone bc the GP hypes up lazy masculine bullshit. she's just too queer for the current zeitgeist of dumb straight bitches 

tea, she does have an image but it's just very geared towards lgbtqia+ people and it doesn't resonate with what the gp is now about