Subversive

Music to Watch Boys To: Official Music Video

Yep, super weird. The only things that come to mind when I think of pink flamingos:

- the film by John Waters/the amazing Divine

- kitsch (like plastic flamingo lawn ornaments)

- flamingos are odd creatures that usually stand, in water, on one leg, and no one really knows why.

What any of this has to do with the song is beyond me, but I kind of love it too?

Those pink flamingos immediately made me think of the Miami Vice intro.

Off topic, but something I've always wanted to discuss IS her chipped tooth, it's the outer edge on the left top front tooth. 

I've always found it endearing AF, I've noticed it since some 2007 photos of her, don't know if it's been that way since before then or what is the story behind it.

But it's very easy to smooth a chip like that out or apply a veneer cap to round/even it out, and I just love how she hasn't done either.

It adds character to her smile imo, does anyone know how it happened or an earlier date than 2007 showing it?

Am I the only one who loves the video? I think it's amazing and one of her best. It doesn't have to tell a story. I don't even care how the boys weren't shown in it, even if it is Music to Watch Boys to... I love the underwater scenes too.

My only complaint is how it isn't in colour, but apart from that I think it's perfect... hopefully we get a BTS/directors cut or something. it almost makes me forgive her for the mess that was the UV vid  :toofunny:

What I don't get AT ALL is that pink flamingos line. Even before the video, I didn't get the place of that in the song and I don't get what it has to do with anything, so seeing the birds in the video just emphasizes the confusion for me.

i think you're trying to analyze too much. it's just referential for its time period [generally 60's], its iconography, she likes all that stuff, it doesnt really have anything to do with the song per se.

The promo shots were full of colors and vibrancy but OF COURSE the actual video is a black and white mess. Why bother with hair and make-up and showing us her "crew" with the costumes and shoes if she's going to shit on their work with her bland black and white filters? She could have stayed with her freaking cap on it would have been the same  :facepalm:

Another disappointment. I feel like she has no clue, no vision just this boring black and white always everywhere. So tired of this shit :crossed:

The song is kinda dark, so b&w fits well, can't imagine full vibrancy color tbh

The main problem I have with understanding the MV concept is that the male-oriented voyeurism (defined as pretty views of females, including LDR, herself) far exceeds female-oriented voyeurism, which I guess is ironic. So I wonder how feminists are going to view it. It's an odd video, though I do enjoy seeing her happy, which I guess is another irony given how much her songs are dinged for sadness in negative reviews of her.

As many pointed out color use is perplexing but possibly not random. Boys are always black and white, and LDR is mostly black and white except when she's in the water. Water nymphs are in color except when they are walking on the beach toward the end (or viewed as a projection behind Lana).

What I personally miss is the already stated lack of watching the actual boys. I don't mean it in a literal way like putting some headphones on, but the way how she described the song when she first mentioned it, sounded more interesting than the actual result we have right now. It's not bad, it ain't  anything special either. It's Lana looking pretty, some underwater girls scenes and some random dudes playing basketball.

Off topic, but something I've always wanted to discuss IS her chipped tooth, it's the outer edge on the left top front tooth. 

I've always found it endearing AF, I've noticed it since some 2007 photos of her, don't know if it's been that way since before then or what is the story behind it.

But it's very easy to smooth a chip like that out or apply a veneer cap to round/even it out, and I just love how she hasn't done either.

It adds character to her smile imo, does anyone know how it happened or an earlier date than 2007 showing it?

maybe she scared of the dentist

The language I call out may often happen to be foul, but it is generally not its foulness I'm calling out, rather something else I think could be particularly objectionable about it.

Shit, if never using foul language was a criterion for being a mod, I don't think any of us would qualify.

speak for urself bucko. mouth of an angel heart of gold over here :candy: :candy: :candy:

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Why there are two girls kissing while this song is Music to Watch Boys to?

I think it makes perfect sense actually.

What you have to remember is how heternormative Lana's music and imagery has always been.

Given that her persona is pretty much a female take on 20th century heterosexuality (which even the lesbian undertones in Summertime Sadness are perfectly consistent with), I think Lana figured out that a song like MTWBT could easily include too many objectifying shots of men, e.g., homoerotic shots of them shirtless, and be "off brand".

I think it was a conscious decision on her part to emphasize: (1) the femaleness of the gaze and (2) the "heterosexuality" of the boys being watched (by having them play basketball - I'm surprised she didn't have them playing baseball).

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if you stop and think about it makes perfect sense.

this is the nicest reply ever omg.. bless you! 

too often people on this site (me included tbh rip..ikr I'm reading myself) get a bitchy attitude when someone disagrees and i just wanna say. UR SO NICE! BLESS U  :blush:  :die:  :spin:

Haha :ohmy:  thanks babe  :kiss:

That's the nicest thing I've heard/seen recently  :spin:

giphy.gifTwitter: johndelferro