Subversive

Music to Watch Boys To: Official Music Video

I loooooved the video. Cinematography was excellent in my opinion and just overall the visuals were very nice. Yeah, I still would loved to see something as high-budget as National Anthem or Ride again, but this was really really great so I can't complain.

H0bDaqU.gif

The video is forgettable. No story, is basically a collages o images and ideas without anything cohesive. I don't get what the girls are doing in the video but she needed to put her mildly talented sister in it somehow. Why didn't she let the BW parts in color? She would expressed magnificently her inner campy, white trash trailer park persona that she so carefully curated so far. I miss her boldness from the National Anthem and Ride videos. The siting with closed eyes in a coma, staring languidly to nowhere and singing like a heavily stoned person ala 60-70's shtick is getting so boring Lana. But she's working so hard guys...to fuck up her career

The video is forgettable. No story, is basically a collages o images and ideas without anything cohesive. I don't get what the girls are doing in the video but she needed to put her mildly talented sister in it somehow. Why didn't she let the BW parts in color? She would expressed magnificently her inner campy, white trash trailer park persona that she so carefully curated so far. I miss her boldness from the National Anthem and Ride videos. The siting with closed eyes in a coma, staring languidly to nowhere and singing like a heavily stoned person ala 60-70's shtick is getting so boring Lana. But she's working so hard guys...to fuck up her career

She works hard doing what she wants to do. That's it.

This article remarks that the Music to Watch Boys to Video was inspired by the unfinished Clouzot film "L'enfer" https://i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/ogle-cute-dudes-with-lana-del-rey

interesting theory! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqzXl0fag2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05qJDM0uBs  

:creep:

it might be the glitter on romy schneider's face at the 0:44 second mark, also noted by a couple of people in the comments

ZRBNill.jpg

don't get me wrong, i LOVE the video. I think it's her second best (Ride will always be my fave). i just don't understand the black and white. it's not just that it looks terrible when the BTS pics showed how colourful and gorgeous the set was, but also it doesn't fit the song at all for me. 

FzytWEW.png

don't get me wrong, i LOVE the video. I think it's her second best (Ride will always be my fave). i just don't understand the black and white. it's not just that it looks terrible when the BTS pics showed how colourful and gorgeous the set was, but also it doesn't fit the song at all for me.

It's because she always shits on her work and makes clueless decisions to make sure her career become more and more irrelevant. Even now she keeps posting promo shots in colour on fb and insta. I barely watched the video once and im done. The b/w is just too bland. I have no interest to watch it again.

It's because she always shits on her work and makes clueless decisions to make sure her career become more and more irrelevant. Even now she keeps posting promo shots in colour on fb and insta. I barely watched the video once and im done. The b/w is just too bland. I have no interest to watch it again.

I reckon her poor decision making is related to her trying to be as eccentric as she can, it's not doing her any good.

obUZKpb.gif

This article remarks that the Music to Watch Boys to Video was inspired by the unfinished Clouzot film "L'enfer" https://i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/ogle-cute-dudes-with-lana-del-rey

interesting theory! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqzXl0fag2w

My prediction two months ago :D

full.jpg

(just a proof of immense power of collective subcounscious)  :hooker:

I definitely agree with comparison with L'Enfer, it also came to my mind seeing that tiny silver sparkles, but as many have said, she missed the great oportunity to dash the zest of psychedelic flamboyance of colours with which she teased us in photos – orange like tangerine passion, fever and joie de vivre, and turquoise as escapist tropical lagoon. I would prefer over the top, kitschy and mercilessly saturated scrimmage of neon colors in the jungle grove where she lounged (reminiscent of Kenneth Anger occult visions), and it would be far more exciting and dinamic for her not to sit like barbiturate princess, emulating junky torpidity of the legends she admires, but maybe put on a show of hawaiian dance like horny, but gracious puma with color glitter all over visible parts of her body, glimmering like Scheherazade from Tales of 1001 nights, and surrounded with leopards, snakes, flamingos, parrots, chameleons and other wildlife creatures. Or bring one of the guys in chains, crawling towards the queen and licking her legs as a sex slave. :D

Romy perfectly channeled the pernicious, fatal, predatory, lustful chimera (how she was in the mind of her paranoidly jealous husband) with piercing gaze and seemingly innocent, but actually sinister smile under the giddy, almost psychotic vortex of harsh chiaro scuro light and screaming colors; maybe Lana could achieve something more emotionally challenging and intense with similar effects. And her smile is more childlike, it lost the roguishness of her rebel Lizzy days, unlike devilish, lethal Romy.

tumblr_nbg6blFb0d1trud11o2_250.gif1e5408c919ff19d8ea5d8b3240bf67ed.jpggiphy.gif

My prediction two months ago :D

full.jpg

(just a proof of immense power of collective subcounscious)  :hooker:

I definitely agree with comparison with L'Enfer, it also came to my mind seeing that tiny silver sparkles, but as many have said, she missed the great oportunity to dash the zest of psychedelic flamboyance of colours with which she teased us in photos – orange like tangerine passion, fever and joie de vivre, and turquoise as escapist tropical lagoon. I would prefer over the top, kitschy and mercilessly saturated scrimmage of neon colors in the jungle grove where she lounged (reminiscent of Kenneth Anger occult visions), and it would be far more exciting and dinamic for her not to sit like barbiturate princess, emulating junky torpidity of the legends she admires, but maybe put on a show of hawaiian dance like horny, but gracious puma with color glitter all over visible parts of her body, glimmering like Scheherazade from Tales of 1001 nights, and surrounded with leopards, snakes, flamingos, parrots, chameleons and other wildlife creatures. Or bring one of the guys in chains, crawling towards the queen and licking her legs as a sex slave. :D

Romy perfectly channeled the pernicious, fatal, predatory, lustful chimera (how she was in the mind of her paranoidly jealous husband) with piercing gaze and seemingly innocent, but actually sinister smile under the giddy, almost psychotic vortex of harsh chiaro scuro light and screaming colors; maybe Lana could achieve something more emotionally challenging and intense with similar effects. And her smile is more childlike, it lost the roguishness of her rebel Lizzy days, unlike devilish, lethal Romy.

Oh my word, you truly are a gifted person and should definitely consider becoming a writer.

obUZKpb.gif

Oh my word, you truly are a gifted person and should definitely consider becoming a writer.

Thank you to the stellar heights, but the irony is they won't publish my second book of poetry (I have more than 200 new pieces :creep: ), threading excuses like, I am repeating myself in motifs and I'm too dark, in a teenage way. Maybe I really exhausted the whole treasure grotto of my maternal language imagery and I should switch to english, which I adore because it allows me to express my inlands more eloquently and effortlessly.  :eek:

i doubt lana really put this much thought into it but i think maybe the underwater girls could represent being part of another female specific ~dimension~ separate from the men of the world, which falls in line with ... 'i know what only the girls know' 

or how the male gaze is directed at women, like people gazing at fish in an aquarium? i don't know how her sitting in a separate room looking through the glass plays into it all; maybe its suggestive of the fact she's trying to reverse the gaze. or that maybe she isn't even human herself 

:godlaugh:

Honestly, the video made me think of Lana as a sort of deity separate from the women and the men. Perhaps like the leader of a group of sirens or something? But she existed in her own world, a world without color and with synchronization and constant observation. Maybe she's an alien and she's keeping tabs on all these underwater girls and shirtless guys like they're a zoo exhibit. 

:godlaugh:  :illumilana:  :illumilana:  :illumilana:  :illumilana:  :illumilana:

Thank you to the stellar hights, but the irony is they won't publish my second book of poetry (I have more than 200 new pieces :creep: ), threading excuses like, I am repeating myself in motifs and I'm too dark, in a teenage way. Maybe I really exhausted the whole treasure grotto of my maternal language imagery and I should switch to english, which I adore because it allows me to express my inlands more eloquently and effortlessly.  :eek:

I know a gifted person when I see one, trust me. Keep trying, you will find your way one day. I'd be surprised if in ~ 3 years time you tell me you're not a writer.

obUZKpb.gif

I know a gifted person when I see one, trust me. Keep trying, you will find your way one day. I'd be surprised if in ~ 3 years time you tell me you're not a writer.

Thanks for the encouragement, I plan to be maniacally persistent and knock them down :rock: :)