annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

re: post talking about listening to Honeymoon on a plane, I know what you mean

I really hate flying now, used to love it.

In the 1990s used to listen to Julee Cruise's David Lynch albums while taking off and landing

and it was almost spiritual. (Falling, the world Spins, Twin Peaks theme, etc.)

Sort of took me to another place tears rolling down total (whatever the word is I am thinking of)

as for videos-

just close your eyes and listen to Lana

the images that race through ones head are the videos.

It's your imaginiation, and the songs can mean whatever you imagine them to mean

though have to say I never imaged High by the beach when I first heard it to be what the video was, nor did I realize that was the sound of  a helicopter.

Would love to know the timeline on when the story of the video was thought of vs. the song itself. Was the visual there like a movie, and the song written around that.

One would have to assume being that the helicopter sound was on the song itself that the story was already known.

As from past interviews she conceptualizes the entire album/theme almost in her head and then from there it was born

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Kim Gordon once again mentioning the Lana feud to remain relevant

Kim Gordon calls Lana Del Rey 'conventional' and says she made her famous by mentioning her in book

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/kim-gordon/89165?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=lanadelrey#Tt5yOxp60prF7AlZ.99

Kim Gordon calls Lana Del Rey 'conventional' and says she made her famous by mentioning her in book

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/kim-gordon/89165?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=lanadelrey#Tt5yOxp60prF7AlZ.99

Kim Gordon calls Lana Del Rey 'conventional' and says she (Lana) made her (Kim) famous by (being) mentioninged (in) her (Kim's) in book

damn. how could you be a  writer when you can't even get your grammars right.  :facepalm:

giphy.gif

Kim Gordon calls Lana Del Rey 'conventional' and says she (Lana) made her (Kim) famous by (being) mentioninged (in) her (Kim's) in book

damn. how could you be a writer when you can't even get your grammars right. :facepalm:

uh oh guys the grammar police is here

First she says she's only seen Lana's Ride video and can't really say if her music is nihilistic, then she says Lana's music is conventional and not that good. Make up your mind, idiot! 

Kim Gordon is one of those old school feminists that actually spouts a ton of misogynistic shit against women who don't fit her ideal mold. She's probably the type who looks down on women who choose to be housewives.

Kim Gordon's remarks are like the jealous remarks by Nora Dunn (ex-SNL) about Amy Schumer.

There seems to be such jealousy by older people doesn't there?

Kim Gordon thought she was interesting enough to mention Lana now for the last year. That says it all.

Maybe she and Lana should do a Christmas Duet. Positivity is a lot better than negativity.

(btw-is the paper back edition of Kim's book being released this month?)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Kim's book sales must be on the decline so she's just drumming up some desprate last promo before her book finally dies in the abyss of irrelevancy...

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

yeah you made her famous in your book, that's why born to die sold as much as it did BEFORE your book even came out you dumb bitch.

For those that are morbidly curious:

I did not hear a quote to the effect KG's mention of LDR made LDR more famous (that's in the headline for the article). Maybe it was edited out? Contrarywise heard KG mention (toward end) that she was surprised her husband was so bashed (in the press) on their divorce because she didn't think people still knew who they were.

Here's a rough map (times approximate) of very selective topics:

30 mins joan didion feminism (sounds like jd would be pro LDR, btw).

40 mins madonna (KG: liked 1st record and production)

41 mins Blondie talk.

43 mins LDR 1st mention: interviewer starts with an early comparison to joan didion by the interviewer. The interviewer is actually pretty sympathetic to her aesthetic, initially!

45:15 kg starts on ldr. 

48:00 interviewer:  LDR is what she is because of her looks.

48:22 KG says people criticize LDR because she seems like a throwback to the 50s, not an issue to her. She might have articulated further but...

48:22 interviewer cuts her off and "corrects" KG for why LDR is criticized.  LDR likes taking pills and is a FMWUTTT type media star that sings in a droning unapolegetic voice. I hate the guy, primarily because he thinks his opinions are more important (to me) than Kim's which is of course ridiculous and false. 

54:00 Courtney Love/Kurt Cobain is discussed.

1:00 Talk about Eagles Hotel California

1:01:00 Grimes "absence of female producers a problem"

1:02:00 2nd Lana Del Rey mention by KG: "twelve year old psychotic fans on twitter" context: worrying about saying something publically (internet) that will offend somebody.