annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

I really enjoy Honeymoon now. I didn't like it at first but I've come to appreciate it's overall solemn mood. It's nice that it's not so in-your-face, as many of us would have expected, but more subtle and relaxed. That is what Lana seems like, too.

I really enjoy Honeymoon now. I didn't like it at first but I've come to appreciate it's overall solemn mood. It's nice that it's not so in-your-face, as many of us would have expected, but more subtle and relaxed. That is what Lana seems like, too.

:oprah:

how cool is that 

#2 headliner

and to think how the haters have said her career is on the decline

Last year Lana was on the second line, this year the headline

seems to me, like the Grateful Dead, Dylan, Springsteen, etc. radio airplay is meaningless

Trailblazer. No other female has done this, for that matter male or female, without radio airplay done this so early in their career.

so far looks like Canada is the closest

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

how cool is that 

#2 headliner

and to think how the haters have said her career is on the decline

Last year Lana was on the second line, this year the headline

seems to me, like the Grateful Dead, Dylan, Springsteen, etc. radio airplay is meaningless

Trailblazer. No other female has done this, for that matter male or female, without radio airplay done this so early in their career.

so far looks like Canada is the closest

Oh, don't bring that traiblazer bs up please. It's too little and too Late from BB, they should have acknowledged her for BTD when it went platinum, after all BB is about the charts and BTD longevity is legendary. The only way I can see her as a trailblazer it's that she stood her ground despite the pile of shit that was thrown at her but she didn't revolutionized music with her sound or lyrics and she had little social commentary. She influenced some female artists because some things she does really well but she's no Grateful Dead, Dylan or Springsteen yet and I doubt she'll ever be. These are artists who are not afraid to express themselves on stage and she's just way bellow that mark.

Headlining some festivals is nice, but these are not Coachella or Glast. From what I heard and read she was kind of good at Coachella but she kind of flopped at Glast and at the Gov Ball. She still has problems as a performer and I don't think that festivals are suited for her style: she has a small voice and she doesn't have the stage presence to engage a varied audience.

But she needs a huge tour, it's the only thing that she can do to kind of maintain her fanbase which is still in decline. She needs to tour extensively in Europe, Australia, South America and after that she can do some concerts again in the US and Canada. I would really like to see her go back to the more stripped back version of her show. When you have a small voice it's better to sing in more intimate venues

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers

Oh, don't bring that traiblazer bs up please. It's too little and too Late from BB, they should have acknowledged her for BTD when it went platinum, after all BB is about the charts and BTD longevity is legendary. The only way I can see her as a trailblazer it's that she stood her ground despite the pile of shit that was thrown at her but she didn't revolutionized music with her sound or lyrics and she had little social commentary. She influenced some female artists because some things she does really well but she's no Grateful Dead, Dylan or Springsteen yet and I doubt she'll ever be. These are artists who are not afraid to express themselves on stage and she's just way bellow that mark.

Headlining some festivals is nice, but these are not Coachella or Glast. From what I heard and read she was kind of good at Coachella but she kind of flopped at Glast and at the Gov Ball. She still has problems as a performer and I don't think that festivals are suited for her style: she has a small voice and she doesn't have the stage presence to engage a varied audience.

But she needs a huge tour, it's the only thing that she can do to kind of maintain her fanbase which is still in decline. She needs to tour extensively in Europe, Australia, South America and after that she can do some concerts again in the US and Canada. I would really like to see her go back to the more stripped back version of her show. When you have a small voice it's better to sing in more intimate venues

agree for the most part flipper, well said

:rollin:

The Trailblazer award is directed specifically towards females, which makes it an odd award*** from the get go, imo. I see no problem with LDR getting it. At least if Hayley Williams can get the (first such) award for showing a female can front and lead a high-octane pop-punk band, then LDR can get one for blazing a path back to the slower songs of yesteryear, idk. However, I think what @@graham4anything is suggesting is that it might actually be her achieved popularity despite the lack of radio/tv airplay (although she streams quite well) that motivated the award. Her relationship to music critics, i.e., being freakishly good according to fans but being berated by critics, might factor in as well (as you suggest). At any rate, it will be interesting to see who the next recipient of the award is.

As for her live voice: I prefer to think of her as variable. She sometimes delivers quite big, good, and controversial (experimental) performances, in all sizes of venue. I'd also tend to be thankful for what we get tour-wise. Things could be much worse (*cough* Kate Bush *cough*). 

edit: What I mean by "odd award" is that there is no male version of the award (correct me if I'm wrong), which makes the award seem a bit patronizing. However, recognition is recognition and should always be appreciated.

But she needs a huge tour, it's the only thing that she can do to kind of maintain her fanbase which is still in decline. She needs to tour extensively in Europe, Australia, South America and after that she can do some concerts again in the US and Canada.When you have a small voice it's better to sing in more intimate venues

Lana makes the impression (to me) that she likes to keep things small and that she's kinda happy with what she has accomplished / achieved - it seems she does not need #1 songs / albums and sold out tours - I guess that is just what others expect from her. People who really love her music surely won't leave her behind just because she doesn't tour that much. And if they do they anyway never really cared... and I agree with @@toshi, Lana does not have a small voice!