annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

The way BN flows into Religion...it's just good.

I wonder if she loved someone like "When I'm down on my knees, you're how I pray".

...with pure love

"It never was about the money or the drugs

For you, there's only love"

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers

religion literally makes up for all the horrible demo sounding songs on honeymoon

I never thought of it this way but I think you're totally right. Not to say it's not good, but some of the songs are not polished enough for my taste. She could definitely improve at least 1/2 of the songs by retweaking parts IMO

The way BN flows into Religion...it's just good.

I agree too..If you listen to the album from High by the Beach to Swan Song, it is a more cohesive album.

I feel as if The first three songs take you trough a chaotic life of someone with HBTB and Freak.  the transition between Freak and AD is the climax. Art Deco is the downhill of the climax where the person has their last moments.  BN is the journey to Heaven, and Religion is one ascending Heaven, or the after-storm.

the "religion" hate is weird. it's classic lana and could have been catchy enough to be a single (RIP). 

you know, i was listening to honeymoon for the first time in a long time (except not in order) & it was really beautiful. i realized i love a lot of the songs just...not all on the same record together. they are too similar in pace. 

let me be who i'm meant to be

Now I'm imagining Religion as a sped up but not so fast version of Diet Mountain Dew. Or maybe like a sonic rush like OTTR is. She could have made this album sound so much more dynamic if there had been some changes in tempo.

Nothing scares me anymore.

Art Deco is trash. The chorus melody is bland and forgettable, and the lyrics are trite and horrific. You can attempt to pseudo-analyse her lyrics but the truth is "shining like gunmetal" makes no sense however you look at it. Most of the vocals are amongst the worst that Lana's ever done in her career - the chorus vocal is literally so dull and apathetic and bored and monotone and it doesn't even marginally work like on HBTB because the melody is uninteresting. The only real redeeming factor of the song is the production.

When playing Honeymoon (which I haven't listened to since December lmao) I usually skip Freak, Art Deco, and DLMBM

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

I'll give you that Religion is good musically. It's a good composition. But the lyrics ruin it and take it to a sad place. It had potential.

Only if you take them literally and assume it's supposed to be about a happy relationship. For me, Religion seems more like a song about giving up and an extremely unhealthy relationship where she tries to "numb" the pain by completely succumbing to her boyfriend.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

The more freedom she gets with her music the more we get these unpolished and incomplete songs. I do love Honeymoon though.

With Born to Die she had much less freedom and it's still her worst produced record to date.

Art Deco is trash. The chorus melody is bland and forgettable, and the lyrics are trite and horrific. You can attempt to pseudo-analyse her lyrics but the truth is "shining like gunmetal" makes no sense however you look at it. Most of the vocals are amongst the worst that Lana's ever done in her career - the chorus vocal is literally so dull and apathetic and bored and monotone and it doesn't even marginally work like on HBTB because the melody is uninteresting. The only real redeeming factor of the song is the production.

When playing Honeymoon (which I haven't listened to since December lmao) I usually skip Freak, Art Deco, and DLMBM

I absolutely love the song, but the lyrics are truly the pits. Art Deco, Salvatore and Freak have the worst lyrics ever.

With Born to Die she had much less freedom and it's still her worst produced record to date.

But Born To Die's production is clearly so much more refined than Honeymoon's? God Knows I Tried's production (don't let me be misunderstood.mp3, it's my 4th favorite song on the album lol) for example is so amateur and flat; she literally threw on 500 cascading layers of reverb on the bridge for no apparent reason? The same applies to songs like Music to Watch Boys to (also one of my faves don't get me wrong lmao) and Swan Song. High by the Beach is a whole different story but its production is so dry and demo-ish that it's honestly ... yeah

With Born To Die, even though it's glossy and processed to the extremes at times, the production on its own is still incredibly polished and you know there was a lot of time spent on embellishing it.

title251192345.png

But Born To Die's production is clearly so much more refined than Honeymoon's? God Knows I Tried's production (don't let me be misunderstood.mp3, it's my 4th favorite song on the album lol) for example is so amateur and flat; she literally threw on 500 cascading layers of reverb on the bridge for no apparent reason? The same applies to songs like Music to Watch Boys to (also one of my faves don't get me wrong lmao) and Swan Song. High by the Beach is a whole different story but its production is so dry and demo-ish that it's honestly ... yeah

With Born To Die, even though it's glossy and processed to the extremes at times, the production on its own is still incredibly polished and you know there was a lot of time spent on embellishing it.

Okay I'll give you that, especially with God Knows I Tried's case. Its production could've been so much better, but her vocals make up for that I guess.

The thing is that Honeymoon was produced by herself, an engineer and a composer/songwriter who's barely a real producer, and it's still beautiful despite its flaws. Born to Die was produced by professional and expensive hit makers. Yes, it's full of "magic" and "aesthetic" but it's not what I'm expecting from Emile Haynie - a lot of people here agree that BTD's production overall is kind of mediocre. Also, Emile's best productions on the record are all collaborations. Patrick Berger on Off to the Races is a great example.

Okay I'll give you that, especially with God Knows I Tried's case. Its production could've been so much better, but her vocals make up for that I guess.

The thing is that Honeymoon was produced by herself, an engineer and a composer/songwriter who's barely a real producer, and it's still beautiful despite its flaws. Born to Die was produced by professional and expensive hit makers. Yes, it's full of "magic" and "aesthetic" but it's not what I'm expecting from Emile Haynie - a lot of people here agree that BTD's production overall is kind of mediocre. Also, Emile's best productions on the record are all collaborations. Patrick Berger on Off to the Races is a great example.

Are you saying that Rick Nowels is barely a producer?

Are you saying that Rick Nowels is barely a producer?

I meant that what he does best is songwriting/composing. That's his main occupation.

Honeymoon is like BTD but without the majestic production, instrumentals, and great promo

so it's basically not btd :toofunny:

so it's basically not btd :toofunny:

basically its what i'd imagine would be an album that was between the AKA and BTD eras. not as bad as AKA but not as good as BTD. also it steals a lot of the UV visuals which bothers me a lot and just makes this album feel like she just rounded up demos from BTD and UV, wrapped it up, and called it an album

I need her to make a new album with BTD's majestic production, I don't necessarily mean the same sound but at least something with amazing production like the songs on BTD, although I would be here for a BTD #2 if it was as good.

qsVmBMd.png