annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

The weird thing about Marina "flopping" is she didn't do anything "wrong" musically (i.e., the singing and songwriting were strong relative to the usual suspects). Froot is a better pop album than HM, though HM is a better alt-indie (or traditional vocal?) album than Froot, so I'm not really competing them. And while Froot didn't outsell HM, it probably sold better than Art Angels, which was arguably better than Froot (and most everybody else) at pop. And while we're at it, lets stan a little for Enya, who released an album the same day as Adele's 25 ... and managed to outsell HM.  I'd certainly be there for an Enya/LDR co-tour just to see if their fanbases were additive or annihilative.

#takeMoreRisksInPop
#supportDiversityInPop

#StopListeningToPopMusic

Do I believe there's a chance that Lana could "come back" (fucking hate that term) and really deliver something unique and interesting? Yes. But can't ya'll just live with the fact that she's gonna do what she wants to do? She even said it herself. She surrounds herself with people who agree with her regarding every aspect of her music. Until she accepts someone who challenges her will we have something as strong as UV (thank you Dan Auerbach). I would be less surprised by an acoustic album and more surprised by an album that deviates from what we're used to Lana putting out.

Mark Ronson please

tumblr_n9ndg1h1kC1rxevt4o1_500.jpg

and Dan Auerbach please.

The weird thing about Marina "flopping" is she didn't do anything "wrong" musically (i.e., the singing and songwriting were strong relative to the usual suspects). Froot is a better pop album than HM, though HM is a better alt-indie (or traditional vocal?) album than Froot, so I'm not really competing them. And while Froot didn't outsell HM, it probably sold better than Art Angels, which was arguably better than Froot (and most everybody else) at pop. And while we're at it, lets stan a little for Enya, who released an album the same day as Adele's 25 ... and managed to outsell HM. I'd certainly be there for an Enya/LDR co-tour just to see if their fanbases were additive or annihilative.

https://twitter.com/chartnews/status/692498237945712646

https://twitter.com/chartnews/status/692855679426523136

#takeMoreRisksInPop

#supportDiversityInPop

I like Marina and all but she's become too gimmicky for me.

Yall thought about an acoustic album :lmao:

Honeymoon was slow as it was, another slow album is not for me. No thanks to the acoustic idea.

As long as she manages to make the next album exciting again, I don't care how she does it. Both BTD and UV felt special, had their highlights, a wonderful style etc etc

HM is nice but so f*cking unspectacular, especially since the tempo is dragging on after like Religion.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I think what she ought to focus her attention to with her next album is the lyrics. I mean how long can she keep singing about her boyfriends, her teenage shenanigans and how she wants to be free... I have enough faith in Lana that she can widen her horizons

I was listening to Freak and I started wondering if it's maybe about Barrie. The 'come to California, be a freak like me too' and 'screw your anonymity' reminds me of Barrie moving to LA for Lana. And I'm sure they danced along to rock music and waxed poetic til they turned blue and whatnot :creep: Also 'you're cold as ice but when you're nice, you're so amazing in every way' probably references Barrie's depression

Also I realised the 'I'm rising up' line probably references 'Jim raised me up' from Ultraviolence

Barrie wouldn't fit the "eyes of blue" line though and, to be honest, he seems like the opposite of "cold" to me; from an outsider perspective, 'clingy' would be a more appropriate adjective, in my opinion. 

Francesco though, now that's another story re: both references... again, in my opinion.

OR it's about no one in specific at all, or a mix of different people; who knows.

-

and it's interesting to me how so many people here say they always go back to BTD/Paradise & UV and almost never listen to HM anymore; it's the opposite for me, it's probably been more than a year since i last listened to BTD/Paradise, while i'll play UV & HM several times a week.

I think what she ought to focus her attention to with her next album is the lyrics. I mean how long can she keep singing about her boyfriends, her teenage shenanigans and how she wants to be free... I have enough faith in Lana that she can widen her horizons

TEA.

she should talk more about her life her ideology and belief tbh. in a sarcastic way or poetry.

giphy.gif

There is NOT one word about her boyfriends/lovers/love life in any single second of Honeymoon.

Anyone who thinks so is reading the words for something they are not

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

There is NOT one word about her boyfriends/lovers/love life in any single second of Honeymoon.

Anyone who thinks so is reading the words for something they are not

Girl you dumb........?

image.png

Lana should do more things with synths, her UV psychedelic vibes were so great imagine if instead of a stripped back rock sound it was sort of a tame impala "feels like were only going backwards" type of vibe

Thinking about it Salvatore would've made a great lead single. Its Shame really because it had the potential to be a bit of hit especially in Europe  :poordat:

The lyrics aren't the best but definitely were radio-friendly and musically the production was too. Lana and Interscope/Polydor really did miss the mark with the potential Salvatore had tbh 

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

I can imagine a huge budget video for Salvatore as well. Shame her label didn't use it as a single, its such a great song and one of the most listenable songs for casual fans. 

qsVmBMd.png