annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

I feel like Honeymoon is very much Paradise 2.0 in structure and tone, i can see why she compared the two of them when discussing the new album. Both albums offer a mixed bag of styles within a cohesive concept, whereas i feel BTD and Ultraviolence are less about variety and more about an extended idea over most of the album, they don't feel like they're broken into parts, but Paradise and Honeymoon feel like they have chapters. That's not a negative or a positive, just an observation.

Time will tell how the album stands up against her other releases, but it's certainly a strong album and a return to more of what i like from her. Ultraviolence is a brilliant album, i love it, but i didn't want Ultraviolence 2 for Honeymoon and i'm glad she changed things up for this release. The production feels less raw this time around, a bit more gloss has come back, and i like that, the production feels richer and more cinematic, but there are a few glimmering moments of Ultraviolence in there with a few of the more stripped back songs on the album.

Honeymoon feels like Lana coming full circle, even though it owes a lot to Paradise in it's structure, i can see pieces of all her albums on Honeymoon. With this being her 3rd proper LP release, it feels like a great closing album to 3 full length albums we've had so far, like a trilogy.

Lana has shown she has a few surprises under her belt when it comes to her creative output, maybe not so much lyrically, but musically i think we've seen some nice diversity with what influences her. She retains a particular sound which is familiar to her, she always has those very "Lana" sounding songs scattered throughout her work, but she also dips in and out of genres that keep each album sounding fresh. Born To Die was hip hop influenced, Paradise was more alternative pop, Ultraviolance more jazz rock and Honeymoon brings her back to a more alternative pop sound with a bit of muddy trap/trip hop thrown in for good measure.

I'm enjoying Honeymoon, there's a lot to offer, and even though lyrically the album may not be anything new from her, i don't mind, i'm less about lyrics with Lana and more about the mood and atmosphere she captures both in her music and her voice. She could sing about eating bbq chicken for all i care, as long as the song has great production [the type that takes me somewhere interesting like so many of her songs do], then i'm happy.

Honeymoon certainly feels more accessible than Ultraviolence, thanks mostly to Honeymoons bigger choruses and production on a few of the tracks, yet it feels more diverse than something like Born To Die, it feels lighter because it offers a mixed bag of sounds, which is probably why down the line Honeymoon may end up becoming my favourite from her. It feels less like a "mood album" and more of an easier listen.

Honeymoon - 8/10

Music To Watch Boys To - 10/10

Terrence Loves You - 7/10

God Knows I Tried - 8/10

High By The Beach - 8/10

Freak - 8/10

Art Deco - 10/10

Burnt Norton - 8/10

Religion - 8/10

Salvatore - 10/10

The Blackest Day - 9/10

24 - 9/10

Swan Song - 10/10

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - 7/10

Honestly this album just clicks for me. I think the lyrics aren't "new"  per se, but they're a lot different from UV. It's more Paradise.She's taking a lot of influences, using a lot of different sounds and sounding more independent. Usually she writes from an exhibitionist perspective with her men as voyeur. She's "fucking crazy" and they're the glue holding her together. She is in control on this album. All in all I think it's an album that's really more in touch with femininity as a powerful thing "I know what only the girls know" High by the Beach in general, in Freak she tells her man to follow her to California,  It's my favorite work of hers as of now and I see why she compares it to BTD. It's more "current", it has beats, sassy Lana is back, it's more playful in general

tZ7WN4B.gif

i wish Honeymoon had more iconic songs like BTD and UV had, when you think of BTD you think Video Games, National Anthem, Blue Jeans. When you think UV you think West Coast, Brooklyn Baby, Shades of Cool, Black Beauty. but when i think of HM i dont really think of particular iconic songs. maybe its because its early in the era but i dont see any songs becoming icons beside maybe MTWBT, Salvatore, Religion, and TBD

i wish Honeymoon had more iconic songs like BTD and UV had, when you think of BTD you think Video Games, National Anthem, Blue Jeans. When you think UV you think West Coast, Brooklyn Baby, Shades of Cool, Black Beauty. but when i think of HM i dont really think of particular iconic songs. maybe its because its early in the era but i dont see any songs becoming icons beside maybe MTWBT, Salvatore, Religion, and TBD

Songs only really become iconic to people when they have music videos. Freak or Art Deco could be up there, should she release a great video

tZ7WN4B.gif

Songs only really become iconic to people when they have music videos. Freak or Art Deco could be up there, should she release a great video

Here's hoping! Art Deco is such a bop tbh. The trap beat and whole vibe make me think of FKA Twigs, but smoother

:azealia: but what if you're white and you live in the ghetto?? "the poor side of town" is soo long. idk i find cultural appropriation to be useless. I mean the whole "this is mine and that is yours" or the "we'll always be different from eachother so don't adopt my culture" attitude got old a long time ago. The more we keep stressing over how different we are the more problems we got. but idk maybe cause I'm mixed I see both sides

I feel similarly lol, when I see posts about people fuming bc of simple things like a white girl wearing a bindi, sari, etc or having her head in braids, with some stupid justification that is usually along the lines of- oh white people hate my culture they're so racist, yet here they go again appropriating it and using it to look stylish and cool- like... Unless you have a screenshot of the same white chick posting something that says "I hate (insert ethnic group)" like?? Don't attack someone for something they haven't done??? I see it more as cultural appreciation and like the direction we're headed towards?? Then again here in Australia racism isn't really a big issue, we're a really multicultural society and everyone is really accepting of one another, so I'm sorry if I'm blind to it being more of an issue overseas. Anyway sorry for drifting off topic lol, just had stuff to vent!!!

:azealia: but what if you're white and you live in the ghetto?? "the poor side of town" is soo long. idk i find cultural appropriation to be useless. I mean the whole "this is mine and that is yours" or the "we'll always be different from eachother so don't adopt my culture" attitude got old a long time ago. The more we keep stressing over how different we are the more problems we got. but idk maybe cause I'm mixed I see both sides

YOURE SO RIGHT! all it does is divide us even more. unless its racist like wearing ponchos and mustaches to represent mexicans. like the whole chola deal with lana was complete shit! honestly culture appropriation only is when its offensive, other than that people need to stop being little bitches and go on with their damn lives

Same.... I'm also mixed and I just can't wrap my head around some of it. I can't fathom how a black person can hear a word such as 'ratchet' or 'ghetto' and actually get offended by it. Same goes for Lana wearing the headdress in Ride and all the controversy surrounding that (not even gonna go there tho). There's a difference between someone getting a henna tattoo or whatever tf people find racist these days and someone doing something in genuine poor taste.

1. Salvatore
  2. Religion
  3. Music To Watch Boys To
  4. Freak
  5. Art Deco
  6. The Blackest Day
  7. High By The Beach
  8. Terrence Loves You
  9. Swan Song
  10. Honeymoon
  11. God Knows I Tried
  12. 24
  13. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

I omitted Burnt Norton because it's not really a song.

Overall, I have to say this album is a LOT better than I expected. I give it a 8.5/10

Ultraviolence>Honeymoon>Born To Die>Paradise

Salvatore

The Blackest Day

Art Deco

Freak

Burnt Norton

Religion

Swan Song

High By The Beach

God Knows I Tried

Terrence Loves You

Honeymoon

Music To Watch Boys To

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Love the album! I rate it 8/10

Honeymoon>Ultraviolence>AKA>BTD>Sirens>Paradise

Agreed, most of the songs are so similar in style/vibe that there aren't much standouts

giphy.gif