Trash Magic

Dua Lipa

i got around to listening to the full album today and idk as a casual listener i loved it, surprised the general reception has been so underwhelmed but maybe it’s just too european of a vibe :oprah6:

9 hours ago, bonniewinterbottom said:

DL1 era you will always be superior.

My god, when I remember how incredible "Be the one" was when it came out, I thought Dua will be the new Madonna. And then "New Rules".

Nothing on DL3 came even close to those songs, or any of the songs on DL2.

Houdini and Training Season came close to being great, thanks to Parker, but the songwriting itself is nowhere near as good. 

Falling Forever is probably the worst DL song I've ever heard. Like Pitchfork said, "it's not a song, it's an assault".

5 hours ago, honeyslow said:

i got around to listening to the full album today and idk as a casual listener i loved it, surprised the general reception has been so underwhelmed but maybe it’s just too european of a vibe :oprah6:

The issue isn't that it's European. Everybody loves British pop, trip-hop, etc. In fact, European music nowadays is fab fab fab. Just check out Angele.  

It's that Radical Optimism lacks identity, has little personality, sounds like AI, and the worst cuts on it sound like Eastern European Eurovision entries, which is Europe's worst.

14 hours ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Saw an insider account mention it yesterday. I think there is some sort of countdown on her website? 
one of the deluxe track would be a Katy Perry collab according to them 

don’t know how reliable this info is tbh, but a deluxe is surely on the way.

Not a fan of Katy Perry, but I'm sure a collab with her (or anyone) would have made this album better. Dua can't even carry those 11 songs (30 mins of running time) on her own.

She shoulda done another Angele collab, especially if she was going for that European sound (which, I dunno, she was?).

Her SNL appearance had more personality and flavor than the entire album. I'm not hearing "I bumped into my parents at 3 am outside the club and we were all stoned and drunk" from these tracks. Honestly I'm really just getting a lazy, spoiled rich girl who doesnt give a shit vibe from her at this point.

Its like shes making albums because its her job that pays well but not her passion. 

The label can only do so much with an artist that clearly does not care or want to put in the effort to innovate. 

Like what even is the theme of this album? "clean girl" "White backdrop" and "uhh... summer?" seem to be the only vibes it gives with the 'summer' part being forced at the last minute.

Its weird because she very clearly had the drive to improve as the "go girl give us nothing" moment really showed. Where is that energy now? Did she just think she was done???

43 minutes ago, slayyyngel said:

Her SNL appearance had more personality and flavor than the entire album. I'm not hearing "I bumped into my parents at 3 am outside the club and we were all stoned and drunk" from these tracks. Honestly I'm really just getting a lazy, spoiled rich girl who doesnt give a shit vibe from her at this point.

Its like shes making albums because its her job that pays well but not her passion. 

The label can only do so much with an artist that clearly does not care or want to put in the effort to innovate. 

Like what even is the theme of this album? "clean girl" "White backdrop" and "uhh... summer?" seem to be the only vibes it gives with the 'summer' part being forced at the last minute.

Its weird because she very clearly had the drive to improve as the "go girl give us nothing" moment really showed. Where is that energy now? Did she just think she was done???

What I don't get with these pop stars sitting on 500 million dollars+ is: why not just hire songwriters to write you a record?

Beyonce is very smart with that, with dozens of writers on board for every record. Lana does her own shit and is super productive so she doesn't need to.

But Dua is not a great writer. "Dance the night", for example, is one big songwriting cliche that's been done a million times before, which is why it wasn't nominated for an Oscar. Compared it to "What was I made for" or "I'm just Ken" and the difference couldn't be more stark.

So, if she had written five good ones, let's say, (the opening track, the three singles and, let's say, French Exit), why not hire songwriters for the other half of the album? Just look how well Padam Padam turned out for Kylie. I woulda literally hired the same Norwegian girl who wrote that track. 

Still wondering how BoZ feels about this album :ma:

Not a bad album, but this is, to me, her Solar Power: the summer vibes are bit off, it never compares to the album prior and it should have been an EP. 

2 hours ago, barttttender said:

The issue isn't that it's European. Everybody loves British pop, trip-hop, etc. In fact, European music nowadays is fab fab fab. Just check out Angele.  

It's that Radical Optimism lacks identity, has little personality, sounds like AI, and the worst cuts on it sound like Eastern European Eurovision entries, which is Europe's worst.

Absolutely irrelevant but I saw Angele sitting outside a cafe in Paris last week

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

52 minutes ago, Rock Candy said:

Let's discuss...

Radical Optimism vs Endless Summer Vacation

Reveal hidden contents

RO :nails:

neither, y’all can keep it :eartha:

1 hour ago, Rock Candy said:

Let's discuss...

Reveal hidden contents

the way ESV arguably had more trancey, psychedelic pop moments than RO and she wasn’t mentioning it in every interviews 

dua should’ve added some songs like handstand or river but RO is still miles better 💋

5 hours ago, barttttender said:

My god, when I remember how incredible "Be the one" was when it came out, I thought Dua will be the new Madonna. And then "New Rules".

Nothing on DL3 came even close to those songs, or any of the songs on DL2.

Houdini and Training Season came close to being great, thanks to Parker, but the songwriting itself is nowhere near as good. 

Falling Forever is probably the worst DL song I've ever heard. Like Pitchfork said, "it's not a song, it's an assault".

EXACTLY AND I TOLD HER I SAID MA'AM.

DL1 is full of classics.

She will never top Bad Together, Running or Want To.

4 hours ago, barttttender said:

What I don't get with these pop stars sitting on 500 million dollars+ is: why not just hire songwriters to write you a record?

That’s the thing about music, It’s not always the same.

Some people like being the songwriter & others don’t.

I personally prefer if the artist is the writer - But I still love Rihanna’s music.

4 hours ago, Rock Candy said:

Let's discuss...

Reveal hidden contents

I love Miley, But absolutely Radical Optimism destroys that album 

IMG-3521.jpg

2 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

I mean there’s rumours Dua contributes little to some songs so apparently she already does have a stack of writers on hand :lmao:

i mean it’s not really a rumor 😭 we’ve had PLENTYYYY of writers demos leak where there’s only a few different words LMAOO 

also idk i’ll never understand the superiority complex some stans have when their fav artist writes all their own music, like i could not gaf less about who’s writing in the studio, i just want something fun to listen to like damn…

On 5/6/2024 at 12:42 PM, Trash Magic said:

Absolutely irrelevant but I saw Angele sitting outside a cafe in Paris last week

Omg. I'm gay, she's gay, but I still want to go down on her. She's glorious.