Say Yes to Heaven

Freak Music Video Premiering February 9th

WC was cut because it featured heavy drug usage (like shooting it up I think?) and Interscope was not okay with that.

is that true ? Lmao everyday i learn something new about the UV era, that bottomless gold mine, that went wrong. Such a missed opportunity as a whole really ; it could have been a decade highlight in popular music and really transform her career. I guess now Lana herself must be so disgusted by the industry and how things never work out anyway. We should be glad she's just churning out benzodiazepine induced dark blues and getting chubby, & not turning back to booze, New Jersey and record executives.

Yeah, I get that but I feel like they made the wrong choice.

Lana would have been the controversial queen of 2014 and the streaming would have been HUGE for ha.

I mean the cover promoting smoking (original cover) [badass and controversial]

- West Coast (heavy drug use)

- Shades of Cool (death scene in video right after controversial guardian interview)

- UV (Jonestown omg)

Honestly speaking, it was controversy (well on top of good music) what made Born To Die so huge and iconic. First the accusation of authenticity (Lips, Surgery, blah), Snl, etc.

The UV era would have been truly "Ultraviolent", but it was intentionally tamed down.

So why she said in her interviews that she enjoys a lot of freedom from her label? These are speculations but I think that no one could stop her to come out with the videos as she wanted them. No one stopped her doing Tropico which was one of the huge missteps of her career, a money drain and artistic flop. I think that she's more than ever in charge of her career and she just chickened out from the controversy in the UV era.

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers

Chuck is gorgeous and seems to be very sweet but I take better pictures then her. Her pictures have nothing special to them. Now Neil Krug is a different story. The man is a genius like Avedon and Scavullo was. Chuck gets work because of who her sister is and she is a perfect example of careerism. She should do something she's really good at instead. She's a tall, thin pretty girl. Get into modeling or something. ;)

As for the videos, I think the label is weary of just handing Lana money after the whole Tropico thing failed. I think Tropico should have never been made. She should have just made the videos individually with a lot less poetry reading. What worked for "Ride" and "National Anthem"  didn't work for Tropico.   :$

Yeah, I get that but I feel like they made the wrong choice.

Lana would have been the controversial queen of 2014 and the streaming would have been HUGE for ha.

I mean the cover promoting smoking (original cover) [badass and controversial]

- West Coast (heavy drug use)

- Shades of Cool (death scene in video right after controversial guardian interview)

- UV (Jonestown omg)

Honestly speaking, it was controversy (well on top of good music) what made Born To Die so huge and iconic. First the accusation of authenticity (Lips, Surgery, blah), Snl, etc.

The UV era would have been truly "Ultraviolent", but it was intentionally tamed down.

if the UV era was like this, itd be orgasmic. i wish Brooklyn Baby, Black Beauty, and Florida Kilos got music videos

So why she said in her interviews that she enjoys a lot of freedom from her label? These are speculations but I think that no one could stop her to come out with the videos as she wanted them. No one stopped her doing Tropico which was one of the huge missteps of her career, a money drain and artistic flop. I think that she's more than ever in charge of her career and she just chickened out from the controversy in the UV era.

She does not enjoy full atistic freedom. I mean, Interscope didn't even want to have Auerbach as the producer for UV. She really had to fight for this and in the end, it was luck because Adele's producer said he wouldn't want to change anything.

It was probably a combination of her giving up and her label not showing much support. She experienced the complete opposite of BTD with her label. Lana and BTD were what you call in the music world "a concentrated push". Her label decided, even before the record was out, that she has to blow up and they were massivly promoting the album and her, because it had hits. I mean, the way how they were investing in her with all the big budget videos, a new artist rarely experiences this. UV didn't have the hits and she had no support, neither from Interscope nor from Polydor. This was a tough position to be in, when you have experienced an album era like BTD.

Radio in America was probably very clear about not wanting to play her, so instead of putting the millions of dollars in payola, they invested in music videos and online promotion.

Now, I think they legit don't care. She has peaked, they are not willing to push her, she knows the material is not able to blow up like BTD and from now on, they will just release it and let it sell what it sells. They would have paired her up with some big producers for Honeymoon if they saw potential in the record based on the actual songs.

Now, I think they legit don't care. She has peaked, they are not willing to push her, she knows the material is not able to blow up like BTD and from now on, they will just release it and let it sell what it sells. They would have paired her up with some big producers for Honeymoon if they saw potential in the record based on the actual songs.

I think her label/manager scheduled a meeting with Mark Ronson, no? It didn't work out at the end

I think her label/manager scheduled a meeting with Mark Ronson, no? It didn't work out at the end

I think that was the initial plan to have him as the producer and Honeymoon being a somewhat return of the BTD success. But since a label is green-lighting everything before it gets finally released, they probably were not that interested after hearing the majority of Honeymoon. Lana and Marc met, to give it a last shot and trying things together, but Ronson is an expensive producer to pay, much more expensive than Nowels, and when the album is not very promising, they will not support it by paying such a producer. The album was basically finished when Ronson joined last minute, usually the producer would be there right from the start.

Just remember when the first little album campaigns were out. It had Polydor all over it, Interscope seemed to be less involved in funding this.