LDRO

Instagram Updates

That's not accurate or factual in 20th century and 21st century rock n' roll and pop music.

Grace Slick, Janis Joplin, Patti Smith, Anne Wilson of Heart, Suzi Quatro, Debbie Harry of Blondie, Pat Benatar, the Runaways, Joan Jett, Lene Lovich, Nico, all of these women kicked ass and didn't embody or hide behind a 'fragile femininity' persona, and we're talking well over 30 years go.

Joni Mitchell, in the 70s, was an undisputed master of various kinds of musical form, comparable only to Bob Dylan, and while she sang many 'sad' songs, her intelligence, objectivity, and criticism of the post-1960s 'hot tub and wife-swapping' lifestyle was unparalleled. Rickie Lee Jones didn't adopt any sort of 'fragile womanhood' pose either in the same era. She was 'street,' she was 'tough.' 

Listen to Heart's 'Devil Delight' and tell me Anne Wilson didn't kick major ass--her vocals are like a nuclear explosion. And Joplin, Slick, Smith, Harry and Wilson were the leaders, the powers behind, their bands. The Runaways were all tough women. Nico's 'Genghis Khan' from 1980 is one of the most blistering rock n' roll statements ever. When Carly Simon wrote and sang 'You're So Vain,' and conquered the world with that song, she didn't adopt a 'fragile' pose; quite the opposite. Likewise, Linda Ronstadt told off many a man with 'You're Not Good.' 

In the 80s, aggressive, domineering Annie Lennox was no wallflower by any means. Tori Amos has produced at least a dozen songs that challenge just about everything in Western culture, certainly the role of women, and she hasn't done it in a sheepish or mousy manner, and in interviews she's been quite abrasive. She came to conquer. And Courtney Love with Hole? And Kim Gordan with Sonic Youth? And Lady GaGa? These are 'victims' in some shape or form, or 'fragile women'? 

All of these women have said, "I'm strong like a man too," in the very least. 

I was talking about fragile femininity pre-rock n roll. I'm aware of strong female women in music during the 70's. However my point still stands. You can be the most rock n roll woman out there and STILL have men undermine you. :bye3:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

edit: this is incredibly off topic and i'm sorry lol, just needed to get this off my chest

Swedes have a weird take on feminism though. Like I think they just protested right wing Swedish men after one tried to stop a migrant from raping a woman at a party. The migrant killed him and continued to rape her. So I’m not totally sure I’d go to them for the definition of feminism, tbqh

i'm not aware of that story in particular - but swedish feminists tend to have a general preoccupation with wokeness, which is decidedly to the detriment of the core pursuit of feminism

like, 'cuz it's hard to lobby for gender equality when a person of color does something problematic - and then you're stuck in this catch 22 of not being able to criticize them, because you will most likely be seen by your peers as a bad faith actor who just wants to express a racist bias, if you do

(the wokescolding is real over here, you guys, and it's painful to watch)

we've ended up in a stalemate hence, where the comfortable answer to everything is "white man bad" (which, don't get me wrong, i wholeheartedly agree with that notion lmao) and anything that happens to involve POC is broadly glossed over

and like, the intent of that is to avoid infighting as best we can, fair enough, but then you've got the far right type ppl who will jump at any chance to express a genuine racist bias - and they do, successfully framing it as though they care about women's rights, even though they clearly don't, because they would never address a white person being problematic

and because people buy into all of that, swedish feminism is seen as effete (which is entirely the movement's own fault, as noted) while right wing groups are seen as actually progressive

which is just so fucking, upside down, inside out, head up the ass

like, you know leftist twitter? that's basically irl swedish feminism

just to summarize it as briefly as i can

rihKQ8M.gif

With all that's happened recently and the album coming on September 5th? I honestly think that expecting a single within the next two weeks is not that far fetched.

If there is one, end of June or early July? But who knows with her.

if she releases a single now it's gonna be a whole mess with people thinking she's doing it to distract/thinking all the drama was to promote her single, etc etc. She should wait atleast a month, at that point no one rlly cares anymore.

qfrWuBl.png

I was talking about fragile femininity pre-rock n roll. I'm aware of strong female women in music during the 70's. However my point still stands. You can be the most rock n roll woman out there and STILL have men undermine you. :bye3:

Well, there were a lot of strong women in American entertainment pre-rock n' roll, as well as in politics, like Clare Booth Luce, Eleanor Roosevelt and Jackie Kennedy.

As a literal matter of fact, the in the 1930s, the American box office was dominated not by men, but by women like Greta Garbo, Jean Harlow, Katherine Hepburn, Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Marlene Dietrich, Jeanette MacDonald, Bette Davis and a string of others--and several of those women really pushed the social and gender envelopes of the times. Hepburn, in particular, constantly challenged female gender roles assumptions and social expectations. Later, there would be American actresses of great influence, like Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth, Ava Gardner, Audrie Hepburn, and Elizabeth Taylor, most of whom were known for their strong personalities and personas. 

In music, there was Bessie Smith, Annette Henshaw, Josephine Baker and Libby Holman, who sang risqué songs, and famous stripper Gypsy Rose Lee, who was very much in the spotlight. The literary world was buzzing with strong, assertive women like Dorothy Parker and Mary McCarthy.

I agree that much of the 20th century America pushed a dainty, fragile, subordinate image of women, but it was challenged constantly, and was certainly not the entire story. Feminism has a long history and a long history in the United States. 

I don't understand your last statement--as if "undermining" others is something only men can do and do do. That's like saying, "In marriages that end in divorce, the man is always the source of the problem," or "in marriages, men cheat, women never do." 

Do you not think that women undermine men, that men undermine other men, that women undermine other women? Have you ever seen an episode of 'The Real Housewives of ____________'? 

People undermine other people, people lie to other people, people manipulate other people, people betray other people, people seduce other people, people abuse and mistreat other people, and so on. And the same is true of positive, life-affirming human behavior.  

Well, there were a lot of strong women in American entertainment pre-rock n' roll, as well as in politics, like Clare Booth Luce, Eleanor Roosevelt and Jackie Kennedy.

As a literal matter of fact, the in the 1930s, the American box office was dominated not by men, but by women like Greta Garbo, Jean Harlow, Katherine Hepburn, Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Marlene Dietrich, Jeanette MacDonald, Bette Davis and a string of others--and several of those women really pushed the social and gender envelopes of the times. Hepburn, in particular, constantly challenged female gender roles assumptions and social expectations. Later, there would be American actresses of great influence, like Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth, Ava Gardner, Audrie Hepburn, and Elizabeth Taylor, most of whom were known for their strong personalities and personas. 

In music, there was Bessie Smith, Annette Henshaw, Josephine Baker and Libby Holman, who sang risqué songs, and famous stripper Gypsy Rose Lee, who was very much in the spotlight. The literary world was buzzing with strong, assertive women like Dorothy Parker and Mary McCarthy.

I agree that much of the 20th century America pushed a dainty, fragile, subordinate image of women, but it was challenged constantly, and was certainly not the entire story. Feminism has a long history and a long history in the United States. 

I don't understand your last statement--as if "undermining" others is something only men can do and do do. That's like saying, "In marriages that end in divorce, the man is always the source of the problem," or "in marriages, men cheat, women never do." 

Do you not think that women undermine men, that men undermine other men, that women undermine other women? Have you ever seen an episode of 'The Real Housewives of ____________'? 

People undermine other people, people lie to other people, people manipulate other people, people betray other people, people seduce other people, people abuse and mistreat other people, and so on. And the same is true of positive, life-affirming human behavior.  

Don't get it twisted. Marilyn was mostly only seen as a sex symbol throughout her life and career and the same can be said for the other women you mentioned (unfortunately). Just because they're deemed as strong women now doesn't mean they always were. They had to fight to be taken seriously, something men never had to do. Period. 

Why are you acting as if woman are just as bad as men and have had the same privileges? Yes humans can hurt other humans in different ways but women are greatly outweighed in terms of power. 

Also your stance on feminism is very US-centric, perhaps look at the disadvantages women across the globe face, even in today's modern world.

Don't get it twisted. Marilyn was mostly only seen as a sex symbol throughout her life and career and the same can be said for the other women you mentioned (unfortunately). Just because they're deemed as strong women now doesn't mean they always were. They had to fight to be taken seriously, something men never had to do. Period. 

Why are you acting as if woman are just as bad as men and have had the same privileges? Yes humans can hurt other humans in different ways but women are greatly outweighed in terms of power. 

Also your stance on feminism is very US-centric, perhaps look at the disadvantages women across the globe face, even in today's modern world.

Hey, I'm not claiming to be an advocate for or an expert on global feminism, or know a great deal about it, so yes, my focus was on America. 

We all know that men have dominated culture and society for a long, long time, and that that came directly out of the hunter/gatherer period, at least, was true in Ancient Greece and Rome, and was part of the social structure during feudalism and the Middle Ages into the early modern age, with homesteading, etc., a point I'm sure you're not willing to concede.

Even in Native American cultures, the men did the fighting with other tribes and nations, did the hunting, did the major builting of the domiciles, fought off wildlife, cleared the land if necessary, etc., while women had less dynamic, if no less important, roles closer to the home, like child rearing, food preparation, the creation of clothing, sewing of furs, etc. The same as it had been in Ancient Greece--in all of these periods, life, and daily life, was still highly dangerous, unlike today. 

If you think men in Hollywood or 20th century entertainment, broadly speaking, just walked in and got jobs and signed contracts on the basis of their looks or reputations or their gender, you're dead wrong. They may have had an advantage over women, i.e., a 'privilege,' as you see it, but the thousands of men who attempted to enter the entertainment business were hardly all members of 'the old boys' club' who were welcomed with open arms and given fat contracts to sign, 1-2-3. When many male Hollywood stars returned from WW II, for example, they found their careers gone and their places taken by other younger actors.

Also, I disagree with your stance on, for example, Marilyn Monroe. She wasn't given the role of the child murderer in 1952's 'Don't Bother to Knock' because she was seen purely as a sex symbol, but as a good actress. Also, I take Camille Paglia's position that women like Monroe have enormous powers, and enormous powers over men, that most men do not have over other men. And the same with Sophia Loren, Ava Gardner, Bright Bardot and hundreds of others. Monroe certainly knew her way around the 'world of men' and the Hollywood corporate system. 

Even in the 1930s, women like Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo, and Katherine Hepburn fought the studio system and won, not on the basis of their looks or acting talent, but on the basis of their intelligence and will power. They knew how to leverage their advantages at every turn, just as some did not. 

There's never going to be a world were there is perfect equality of power, gender, age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, social position, income and goods distribution, intelligence, discipline, talent, weight, beauty, athletic ability, DNA, health, grace, mental and emotional stability, etc. Nothing is 'perfect' or 'equal' in nature, if 'equal' means 'identical' or even approaches 'identical.' 

There have been vast social forces in the West trying to create a fair and equitable world since the dawn of modern civilization, and those forces are still at work everyday, every where, in America and Western Europe. But human beings are not perfect, and nature does not create 'equalities,' so the best we can do, and do do, is to continue to press for fairness and equal treatment under the law and economic system.

We've seen huge advances in the rights of women in the last 70 years and similar advances in rights for gay men and women in the last 40. Gay men and women have never been freer anywhere at any time in history. Those advances have to be acknowledged and should be celebrated and enjoyed.  

If a person constantly looks at the world and choses to see only the inequalities that come directly out of nature, and which are corrected constantly by human beings though the inequalities keep coming, then that person is going to be sour and bitter for life. 

Hey, I'm not claiming to be an advocate for or an expert on global feminism, or know a great deal about it, so yes, my focus was on America. 

We all know that men have dominated culture and society for a long, long time, and that that came directly out of the hunter/gatherer period, at least, was true in Ancient Greece and Rome, and was part of the social structure during feudalism and the Middle Ages into the early modern age, with homesteading, etc., a point I'm sure you're not willing to concede.

Even in Native American cultures, the men did the fighting with other tribes and nations, did the hunting, did the major builting of the domiciles, fought off wildlife, cleared the land if necessary, etc., while women had less dynamic, if no less important, roles closer to the home, like child rearing, food preparation, the creation of clothing, sewing of furs, etc. The same as it had been in Ancient Greece--in all of these periods, life was still highly dangerous, unlike today. 

If you think men in Hollywood or 20th century entertainment, broadly speaking, just walked in and got jobs and signed contracts on the basis of their looks or reputations or their gender, you're dead wrong. They may have had an advantage over women, i.e., a 'privilege,' as you see it, but the thousands of men who attempted to enter the entertainment business were hardly all members of 'the old boys' club' who were welcomed with open arms and given fat contracts to sign, 1-2-3. When many Hollywood stars returned from WW II, for example, they found their careers gone and their places taken by other younger actors.

Also, I disagree with your stance on, for example, Marilyn Monroe. She wasn't given the role of the child murderer in 1952's 'Don't Bother to Knock' because she was seen purely as a sex symbol, but as a good actress. Also, I take Camille Paglia's position that women like Monroe have enormous powers, and enormous powers over men, that most men do not have over other men. And the same with Sophia Loren, Ava Gardner, Bright Bardot and hundreds of others. Monroe certainly knew her way around the 'world of men' and the Hollywood corporate system. 

Even in the 1930s, women like Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo, and Katherine Hepburn fought the studio system and won, not on the basis of their looks or acting talent, but on the basis of their intelligence and will power. They knew how to leverage their advantages at every turn, just as some did not. 

There's never going to be a world were there is perfect equality of power, gender, age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, social position, income and goods distribution, talent, weight, beauty, athletic ability, DNA, health, grace, mental and emotional stability, etc. Nothing is 'perfect' or 'equal' in nature, if 'equal' means 'identical' or even approaches 'identical.' 

There have been vast social forces in the West trying to create a fair and equitable world since the dawn of modern civilization, and those forces are still at work everyday, every where, in America and Western Europe. But human beings are not perfect, and nature does not create 'equalities,' so the best we can do, and do do, is to continue to press for fairness and equal treatment under the law and economic system.

We've seen huge advances in the rights of women in the last 70 years and similar advances in rights for gay men and women in the last 40. Gay men and women have never been freer anywhere at any time in history. Those advances have to be acknowledged and should be celebrated and enjoyed.  

If a person constantly looks at the world and choses to see only the inequalities that come directly out of nature, and which are corrected constantly by human beings, then that person is going to be sour and bitter for life. 

Dude you don't have to mansplain basic history to me, I'm well aware of it. 

I acknowledge that not everyone in Hollywood got a job just like that, and yes, it takes talent to actually be signed to film companies, but have you considered that women in Hollywood have had to sleep with executives just to get a role? A man in the business exposed himself to Shirley Temple when she grew up out of the child star phase. Hollywood has been run by men so if you want to blame women for the reason why film companies hired younger actors after WWII, go right ahead. 

A lot of women like Marilyn were given makeovers to appeal to men's fantasies. Wasn't it a man who told Marilyn to change her name to something more sexier? To dye her brunette curls to platinum blonde? These women had 'power' over men because they were made up to be sexualised and treated like a sex symbol, not a human being. That's the only 'power' they had - to be gawked at on screen.

Again, a lot of your post is pertaining to feminism in the US, what about elsewhere? What about the women who get acid thrown in their faces if they don't obey their husbands? 

It will be so legendary if she drops a webcam video with blonde hair I can't stop thinking about it

I vote this! But with no sneak peaking singing the new songs and give us wrong expectations.

PS : like the CG preview being more bassy and metallic

[Hold me, love me, touch me, lanadel.gif

honey, be the first who ever did]

Dude you don't have to mansplain basic history to me, I'm well aware of it. 

I acknowledge that not everyone in Hollywood got a job just like that, and yes, it takes talent to actually be signed to film companies, but have you considered that women in Hollywood have had to sleep with executives just to get a role? A man in the business exposed himself to Shirley Temple when she grew up out of the child star phase. Hollywood has been run by men so if you want to blame women for the reason why film companies hired younger actors after WWII, go right ahead. 

A lot of women like Marilyn were given makeovers to appeal to men's fantasies. Wasn't it a man who told Marilyn to change her name to something more sexier? To dye her brunette curls to platinum blonde? These women had 'power' over men because they were made up to be sexualised and treated like a sex symbol, not a human being. That's the only 'power' they had - to be gawked at on screen.

Again, a lot of your post is pertaining to feminism in the US, what about elsewhere? What about the women who get acid thrown in their faces if they don't obey their husbands? 

Using a would-be snarky term like 'mansplaining,' especially when you don't know much about me or how I identify, says a lot about you. Sexist, isn't it? 

Obviously, no one in their right mind with 20th or 21st century values is for having women painfully scarred and mutilated by acid attacks for 'disobeying' their spouses, fathers or other family members. Or for any other reason. Men or other women who behave in that way on a routine basis, or think it is an acceptable part of their culture or mores, are still essentially uncivilized; they're not an active part of Western culture.

And I don't support gay or bisexual men or women being thrown off buildings, stoned with rocks, burnt alive, or imprisoned for life either.  As Camille Paglia constantly points out, if Americans or Western Europeans think the rest of the world behaves in accordance with polite American Middle Class decorum, they're completely ignorant of the reality of most of the world.   

I totally disagree with your take on Marilyn Monroe. She certainly wasn't powerless to do anything about her career; she wanted fame and success and made choices all along the way, and said, 'Yes.' She was married to playwright and intellectual Arthur Miller, so don't you think she got good, solid advice? Did the entire process get out of control, did she lose control at some point, did it bring her unhappiness as well as happiness? Sure. She was a superstar, and the same thing happened to Judy Garland a decade earlier and to Edie Sedgwick a decade later. But it also happened to men, like John Barrymore, and that's what all the 'A Star Is Born' movies are about: a famous male actor who loses control of the star-and-image-making process and turns to alcohol. In the 1920s, a good deal of the biggest silent film stars were snorting heroin, cocaine and opium. Child stars of both genders often had difficult or tragic later lives due to the star-making process, including Jerry Mathers. 

I don't believe a lot of the great women artists and entertainers in any field were 'just puppets of men.' Give them credit for the talented, striving, disciplined and intelligent women they were, whether it's Josephine Baker, Bette Davis, Carson McCullers, Julie Harris, Diana Ross, Odetta, Pat Benatar or Fiona Apple. Even if, in some cases, their lives or careers ended abruptly or in tragedy. Look at Amelia Earhart, who never blamed men and took 100% responsibility for her life, self and career. 

Using a would-be snarky term like 'mansplaining,' especially when you don't know much about me or how I identify, says a lot about you. Sexist, isn't it? 

Obviously, no one in their right mind with 20th or 21st century values is for having women painfully scarred and mutilated by acid attacks for 'disobeying' their spouses, fathers or other family members. Or for any other reason. Men or other women who behave in that way on a routine basis, or think it is an acceptable part of their culture or mores, are still essentially uncivilized; they're not an active part of Western culture.

And I don't support gay or bisexual men or women being thrown off buildings, stoned with rocks, burnt alive, or imprisoned for life either.  As Camille Paglia constantly points out, if Americans or Western Europeans think the rest of the world behaves in accordance with polite American Middle Class decorum, they're completely ignorant of the reality of most of the world.   

I totally disagree with your take on Marilyn Monroe. She certainly wasn't powerless to do anything about her career; she wanted fame and success and made choices all along the way, and said, 'Yes.' She was married to playwright and intellectual Arthur Miller, so don't you think she got good, solid advice? Did the entire process get out of control, did she lose control at some point, did it bring her unhappiness as well as happiness? Sure. She was a superstar, and the same thing happened to Judy Garland a decade earlier and to Edie Sedgwick a decade later. But it also happened to men, like John Barrymore, and that's what all the 'A Star Is Born' movies are about: a famous male actor who loses control of the star-and-image-making process and turns to alcohol. In the 1920s, a good deal of the biggest silent film stars were snorting heroin, cocaine and opium. Child stars of both genders often had difficult or tragic later lives due to the star-making process, including Jerry Mathers. 

I don't believe a lot of the great women artists and entertainers in any field were 'just puppets of men.' Give them credit for the talented, striving, disciplined and intelligent women they were, whether it's Josephine Baker, Bette Davis, Carson McCullers, Julie Harris, Diana Ross, Odetta, Pat Benatar or Fiona Apple. Even if, in some cases, their lives or careers ended abruptly or in tragedy. Look at Amelia Earhart, who never blamed men and took 100% responsibility for her life, self and career. 

No you're assuming I don't know the history when I do. 

Feminism is still feminism though, regardless of where you are in the world. That's my point. You're fixated on what's going on in the western world and you're trying to equate mens and women's issues when it's far from being the same thing.

And yes, Marilyn made her own choices, but it still doesn't change the fact that she was treated less than a man. Sexualising her doesn't make it resepect/acceptance. She played along because that's what Hollywood wanted from her but anyone who is aware of who Marilyn was as a person knows that she had much more to offer than a bimbo persona in movies that men typecast her in.

You're literally trying to equate men and women's struggles, that's my main issue with your posts btw. Women bring up their issues, then you chime in with "well men have experienced this..." when I'm not invalidating the abuse men go through, but it's pretty much in the same vein as a black person bringing attention to the #BlackLivesMatter movement and you responding with #AllLivesMatter.

Edit: Anyways that's all I'm saying. I'm not going to risk getting my 12th warning point and a potential ban for derailing the thread. 

edit: this is incredibly off topic and i'm sorry lol, just needed to get this off my chest

i'm not aware of that story in particular - but swedish feminists tend to have a general preoccupation with wokeness, which is decidedly to the detriment of the core pursuit of feminism

like, 'cuz it's hard to lobby for gender equality when a person of color does something problematic - and then you're stuck in this catch 22 of not being able to criticize them, because you will most likely be seen by your peers as a bad faith actor who just wants to express a racist bias, if you do

(the wokescolding is real over here, you guys, and it's painful to watch)

we've ended up in a stalemate hence, where the comfortable answer to everything is "white man bad" (which, don't get me wrong, i wholeheartedly agree with that notion lmao) and anything that happens to involve POC is broadly glossed over

and like, the intent of that is to avoid infighting as best we can, fair enough, but then you've got the far right type ppl who will jump at any chance to express a genuine racist bias - and they do, successfully framing it as though they care about women's rights, even though they clearly don't, because they would never address a white person being problematic

and because people buy into all of that, swedish feminism is seen as effete (which is entirely the movement's own fault, as noted) while right wing groups are seen as actually progressive

which is just so fucking, upside down, inside out, head up the ass

like, you know leftist twitter? that's basically irl swedish feminism

just to summarize it as briefly as i can

I wholeheartedly agree with you and just know I’m rooting for Sweden to find a good balance for everyone <3

every time Vertimus posts it truly is like how Bunny Mozart is describing it:

You're literally trying to equate men and women's struggles, that's my main issue with your posts btw. Women bring up their issues, then you chime in with "well men have experienced this..."

i remember one of the firsts posts i saw on the NFR pre-release thread was Vertimus spouting some bullshit. it was so ignorant it actually made me cry

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

marina unfollowed lana on insta, once again proving my thoughts back before NFR that marina is fake af.

she spews that she is so woke about every topic

and it rubs me the wrong way tbh.

like the whole lil phone and the love + fear era of acting like she’s superior to those of us who can’t afford to live a certain lifestyle of being “good” to the planet with a tesla & taking the “time” for mental health ... like any of us can afford to do that.

If a person constantly looks at the world and choses to see only the inequalities that come directly out of nature, and which are corrected constantly by human beings though the inequalities keep coming, then that person is going to be sour and bitter for life.

you have to see the inequalities in order to strive to correct them no?

also your profile pic is literally you looking down your nose at us which umm.. it follows a theme

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

marina unfollowed lana on insta, once again proving my thoughts back before NFR that marina is fake af.

she spews that she is so woke about every topic

and it rubs me the wrong way tbh.

like the whole lil phone and the love + fear era of acting like she’s superior to those of us who can’t afford to live a certain lifestyle of being “good” to the planet with a tesla & taking the “time” for mental health ... like any of us can afford to do that.

Marina unfollowed Lana ?! Whattttt