Jack

Melanie Martinez

Her label financed the whole thing. It cost 6 million dollars. There are many loose ends because originally the project was more fleshed out but she had to keep cutting things and taking things out due to budget constraints so she only made the parts that were absolutely necessary to be included in order to fulfill her vision.

She talked about it here:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/melanie-martinez-movie-k-12-budget-atlantic-records-1203323613/

man maybe that’s why it cohesively comes off as a trainwreck. if it was supposedly a lot longer i guess she had to just skim some of the major political aspects she tries to show in the film and it feels forced that way. a bit of a shame in that case.

Recess sounds like a nod to Piggyback.

Most of the songs sound like Piggyback, actually

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Any criticisms: other than the plot bcuz wtf was the plot, some songs had great segues (drama club's transition was great) but others made no sense (high school sweethearts) also my fav song(teachers pet) had a lackluster vid :( i wanted some choreo!

OMG LITERALLY WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO POSTTTTTTTT  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

this film was lowkey really awful. there were so many lose ends and things that came out of nowhere. and her political route she took was also really awful. she should have focused on one political angle and done it well rather than like fifteen really badly executed ones. omg a transgender teacher? they're being let go because they're trans? omg. wait. we never even see that character again and it's legit never brought up or tied off. okay melanie. i can't believe she did that like fifteen million times during the film too. there were so many lose ends for sub-plots in the film and things that really should have been rounded up. (side note: i was high when we watched this film so if this was actually tied up and we just didn't notice then soz)

she's damn well lucky this album has a few really good bangers. regardless i can see her fans eating this shit up despite the fact it was extremely mediocre. at least they have a couple of good songs and a whole lot of content for gifs and twitter layouts.

also the teachers pet scene...she is definitely going to "get away" with that. i've never been on the whole melanie x paedophilia bandwagon people try and drag her down with but that scene was so badly inexcusable and tasteless.

the film looks stunning, has some amazing song moments but damn, it truly fails in most other aspects. and it's a shame because we would joke before watching it that it was going to be a bad film but we didn't ACTUALLY expect it to be as bad as it was. also, WHERE did she get the budget for this? i'll give her that she at least pulls through when she says she going to do something ambitious, but she's definitely not a good film writer at all.

she got sum money from the first tour + cry baby album, someone even said here she lives in a pink mansion in LA

It’s hilarious that for people who claim to like Cry Baby some of y’all still don’t quite understand what a concept album is

And what a great concept, the whole record is excellent.

but what's the difference between Cry Baby's concept and K-12 one ? it looks so recycled

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg

ok just watched the movie. I liked it. It's very creative. However you can definitely see that she had a problem with the budget by the end of the movie. Also the storytelling could be better. Recess was the most boring part - which is sad considering it's one of my favs. I didn't find the acting bad like others. It fits the Cry Baby character. 

the movie made me appreciate the album more. 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3260-1375807715-35.

Haunted and Half-hearted

But people are not ready for this tea

how the fuck a 54kbps memo is better than a whole ass studio album

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I just read a post that says the movie was actually 3 hour-long thing and it cost 11m $ so she had to scrap some parts of it and that’s why they didn’t set the school on fire, thus fire drill couldn’t made it to the album.

that’s sad.

honestly, i really love the album. all the songs have been earworms at random parts of my day.

as for the film, i try to think of it as a showcase for each scene for the songs. in this case, 8.5/10, i didnt like the teachers pet scene. really lacking.

The film made absolutely no sense and it just came across super amateurish besides the art design

The writing was lacking and the scenes just seemed shoehorned together for the most part but i did some of the music video scenes like Strawberry Shortcake and Drama Club. I already knew it would be kind of off since I haven't really liked Melanie's direction in the other videos, she has some great ideas but a lot of them are too hamfisted or half-baked to work

I do really like most of the album tho