Mileena

Paradise - Pre-Release Thread

This is really fucking dark, "Blue Velvet" sounds so out of place. Should have been "Heart-Shaped Box".

If this goes the way of the rest of her releases, I'll be so excited to obtain some demos from this. Some piano tracks, like the original Video Games or Million Dollar Man. Oof.

I could cry knowing I have to wait until November for "Gods & Monsters".

Sounds promising! I think my favorites will be "Gods & Monsters," "Body Electric," "Bel Air," and "Ride."

Also, that face she makes when the chorus kicks in on BE is amazing. Captures the spirit of the song perfectly.

LanaLogo-e1328412462487.png

iamamiwhoami purity ring jessie ware grimes twin shadow

Guest Maru the Cat

Putting aside the compressed-to-death terrible audio in these clips, here are some of my thoughts, both positive and negative:

OH MY FUCKING GOD, I THINK THEY GOT BODY ELECTRIC RIGHT. Seems like it’s going to be a tasteful arrangement and non-offensive production. PHEW. I really cannot wait to hear the string outro. I would’ve never called that the final vocal take though, not such a great vocal from the little we can hear here, though i am glad she doesn't sound as restrained as she usually does on record and that she is singing more how she does live. Please god though, fulfill my dream of a harpsichord coming in on the second verse when everything sounds like bones falling off a skeleton and crashing to the floor.

The piano is recorded INFINITELY better on these batch of songs than on BTD. That’s how it should’ve been recorded from the get-go.

I think her vocals on some of these are a little too over-emotive. They should have gotten more vocal takes out of her. I know i would have ;)

The reverb on Yayo sucks my ass. That is like the worst of the worst, cheap digital reverb. Oy. However, that is how you record a piano, dude. Thank goodness. Shitty quality reverb aside, Yayo might not be a train wreck after all!

The first song has a Tom Waits ballad feel to it. This sounds really, really nice! The drums are understated and great.

American seems like it’s going to be a grower.

Gods & Monsters sounds really promising but dear god, the snare sound is hideous, oy. That kick drum-snare pattern sounds so stupid too. This shit should have timpani for sure. Where’s has your love for timpani gone, Lizzy?

Oh my god, COLA. I am floored. Everything about it, the sublime string quartet (thank fucking god for real strings, though too much fucking stereo separation, Emile, argh), the lovely tremolo guitar (though i wish this silly obsession with double tracking everything would subside), the insane, incongruous lyrics. This shit is going to be fucking amazing. I have just used the word fucking a lot.

Also, Rick Rubin?! Really? Interesting.

I am thoroughly enthused. Believe it or not.

I don't think you touched on Bel-Air though...?

Guys, stop complaining about Body Electric. It sounds way better than the live versions.

Cola is fantastic, but what the hell did I expect? Of course it is. Gods & Monsters was better than I thought it'd be. Yayo is weird but I think I like the way it's been done up. The others sound good, but didn't really stick with my memory because I'm so caught up on Cola and Gods & Monsters and Yayo. Ugh. I'm going to convulse all over this album, I loved this teaser. I want the full thing now. I will give all my dollars for it. It can have my firstborn and my secondborn and all of my borns, dear God. Lana don't know what she does to me, I swear. :( DJSFKGHOGKHKHFAHDSGFD EHHDAG.

14417469274.gif

Guest Maru the Cat

Guys, stop complaining about Body Electric. It sounds way better than the live versions.

The only issue I have it are the effects on the vocals. Everything else sounds great. I think everyone that's displeased with the track only doesn't like how her voice sounds... and unfortunately, odd effects on her voice is enough for me to hate the song entirely.

Of course, it's too pre-mature to write off any of the songs or the re-release in it's entirety, but as for now, I am not a fan... (although truthfully, I'm not too sure what I was expecting. She said it was an after-thought to BtD and well, it sounds like that. No surprises there.)

I hope Lana will prove me wrong so I can come back to the forum with my head hanging in shame about how wrong I was! :3

Body Electric doesn't even sound that different to the live version so i'm not sure why anyone would freak out that bad over it. The studio version was bound to have SOME differences. Plus it's 40 seconds of the song we heard.

Anyway, DYING because i won't be home for 12 hours to hear these snippets again. I only heard them once :(

It's October already next week! so it's not too far off.

You don't understand the amount of lives I'd sacrifice to have it right now.

I wrote up some lyrics -

"Ride"

I've been out on that open road

You can be my photon, daddy, white and gold

Singing blues has been getting old

You can be my photon, baby, hot and cold

"Cola"

My pussy tastes like Pepsi cola

My eyes were wide like cherry pies

I gots a taste for men who are older

It's always been, so it's no surprise

"American"

You made me crazy, you made me wild

Just like a baby, scream your name like a child

Your skin so golden-brown

Be young, be dope, be proud

Like an American

"Gods and Monsters"

In the land of gods and monsters, I was an angel

Living in the Garden of Evil

Screwed up, scared, doing anything that I needed

Shining like a fiery beacon

You got the medicine I need

Fame, liquor, love, give it to me slowly

Put your hands on my waist, do it softly

"Bel Air"

Gargoyles standing at the front of your gate

[???] told me to wait, but I can’t wait to see you

So I run like I’m mad, to heaven’s door

Sorry but the proper release of YAYO shits on everything else

:oprah: :legend:

I couldn't agree more. However, the proper release of "Yayo" would be the version off AKA, along with the rest of AKA. :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

You don't understand the amount of lives I'd sacrifice to have it right now.

I wrote up some lyrics -

"Ride"

I've been out on that open road

You can be my photon, daddy, white and gold

Singing blues has been getting old

You can be my photon, baby, hot and cold

Could it be full-time instead of photon?

up45I.gif

I don't think you touched on Bel-Air though...?

Don’t know what to say other than i think it sounds great. I love the piano, everything about it--compositionally, the chord changes, the way it's voiced, how it's arpeggiated and the upper range it's played in, and it's recorded perfectly. It's really, really beautiful. The whole tone of this section of music is really hitting on something magical. This is very LA sounding and i would have thought that without knowing the title. It seems to be channeling her love for more contemporary film scores, too.

Re: Body Electric: I’m happily surprised by how close this sticks to the performances we’ve been hearing since June. I was hoping that it would be mostly like the live performances with just a few subtle overdubs (and my dream harpsichord, dammit!) and this sounds like it's going to be just that. So relieved that it's not overproduced or given an "edgy" arrangement. My only gripe is her vocal performance, but it's not that big of a gripe. She just kind of sounds like she's phoning it in, going through the motions, until the "we get down" part, which is great and unrestrained. She's rushing it a little too. I think she should have sung it slightly behind the beat, but it's not that huge of a deal. No effects that i can hear on her voice, other than reverb, which is much better than what they used on Yayo.

She’s going to get so much more critical acclaim for this than BTD. Mark my words. Some camps are going to start looking at her differently.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Anyone else noticing some melodic similarities between "Cola" and "Body Electric"?

Like, after the "Cola" snippet, I just expect it to go "we get doooown every Friday night".

I guess the chorus will have to set it apart.

Also, Rick Rubin?! Really? Interesting.

My thoughts exactly! I seriously did not expect to ever see his name pop up with anything Lana-related.