9. Paradise

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

1.NFR! (masterpiece)

2.Ultraviolence (masterpiece2)

3.BTD (it blows and smash)

4.COTCC (it was written for me...)

5.DYKTTATUOB (unfortunately, interludes make me feel bad)

6.Honeymoon (only because of the second half)

7.LFL (oversaturated)

8.BB (unrealized potency)

9.Paradise (hot but dry)

10.A.K.A. LG (just compared to the rest)

11.VBBOTG (when you know - you know)

This was tough. I took some time to go back and reflect. Here’s what I came to with:

1. Ultraviolence

2. Honeymoon

3. Born to Die / Paradise*

4. NFR!

5. Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd

6. Chemtrails over the Country Club

7. Lust for Life

8. Blue Banisters

Spoiler

I never ranked the albums because they all speak to me in different ways, times and moods. I don’t dislike any individual album, although there are some tracks I will skip, even on a few of the records I ranked higher on this list.

My #1 and 2 go back and forth between UV and Honeymoon. UV is iconic, classic. It’s very balanced and as a concept album, may only be matched by my #2. Ultraviolence might be the quintessential LDR song. The way the record, as a whole, flows… it has many epic moments. The only two tracks I may skip are Guns and Roses and perhaps The Other Woman, but it depends on my mood. 

Honeymoon is also iconic and may flow even better as a concept album, but it depends on my mood. The Blackest Day is my all time favorite LDR song. It highlights the overall dark tone of the record. Speaking of iconic, I’d classify High by the Beach is one of her most iconic moments, in both the actual song and the music video. “You could be a bad motherfucker, but that don’t make you a man” is one of my all-time favorite lines in any of her songs. I love the title track, but I think I give UV the slight edge for opening song. Also, UV (album) is slightly more “upbeat,” so I guess that’s another reason to sway for #1 vs. #2. The Interlude and Misunderstood are the only songs I can skip over.

BTD is a helluva debut major label album. It got my introduced to LDR and Summertime Sadness was the first song I recall hearing. SS helped me through a pivotal period in my life and remains forever etched in my memory. It has song after song that strikes a chord. It’s hard to give this a #3 and not higher. While maybe 3 or 4 tracks aren’t particularly memorable for me, none of them fall into “must-skip” territory. 

As an addendum, I’m grouping Paradise with BTD. It’s a little complicated to review the albums separately, especially when they were later packaged together. I originally had Paradise lower on the list, but the only justification I had was the album length. Given the fact that there are no songs I skip on Paradise, it makes sense to rank it here. I don’t want to split hairs, so we’ll keep it at #3. 

NFR! is probably where she reached the holy grail of maturity, balance and writing/lyrics. I debated on ranking it #3 and after another play-through, I’m torn. We’ll keep it here based on my first instinct. Venice Bitch hit me real hard, as it transformed the listening experience into something I’ve never felt with LDR before, prior to its release. Jack’s influence may be noticeable, but it’s more in check here than with later works. There’s a solid balance all around, although depending on my mood, it’s almost a little too diverse, if that makes sense. I’d say Honeymoon, for example, flows a bit better as a whole. That’s just my take. 

Ocean Blvd strikes me as her best record since NFR! I’ve been a fan since the earlier days, but the hype and everything leading up to it really sent me into standom. The singles hit real hard. There are several iconic moments that really struck a chord with me. In my view, A&W is only surpassed by Venice Bitch in terms of lengthy, avant-garde LDR songs that experiment in ways that are so un-mainstream. Yet, A&W works as a single. I do feel like there is some filler that’s not really necessary. For my top 4 albums, there aren’t many songs that I have to skip, but that changes here. The first interlude is just rubbish. One of her worst tracks in my view. I struggled to listen to it through on release day and never touched it again. A few other tracks fall flat and while there are a lot of great moments, it just doesn’t flow as a whole like some of her earlier records. Another example: I love The Grants, but it was very jarring to hear the record start with that intro. In retrospect, I completely understand how and why it’s written that way, but it still feels slightly odd starting an LDR record with non-LDR vocals. I wish she played more of the album’s tracks live this year. It’s a little bit mind boggling why she didn’t, especially Candy Necklaces. Overall, Ocean Blvd was a step in the right direction for LDR as an artist, if she were trying to go back to her roots. However, I cannot listen to it straight through and do tend to skip over at least a couple of the tracks. 

I’ll be honest, I glossed over Chemtrails when it first came out. Some reasons are unrelated to the actual content. I’d say most of the tracks are solid, but few stand out as “top tier” LDR hits. Tulsa Jesus Freak has really grown on me. It’s odd how it first went from “skipped” to now a song that I’ll frequently go back to listen to. I think I also initially underrated the title track. When I heard it live for the first time, it found renewed love in my soul. Dark But Just a Game is another song I really like. Unfortunately, after that track, the only standout song on the back half for me is Yosemite. 

It really pains me to rank LFL so low. It has some of my all-time favorite LDR tracks, such as Cherry and 13 Beaches. Even though the latter feels like it would almost fit better on Honeymoon, perhaps paired with High by the Beach. I digress. The main reason I don’t rank LFL higher is that I don’t particularly care for a few of its songs. Summer Bummer and Groupie Love don’t do it for me, even though Lana has a few moments that I do like on those tracks. LFL, the title track, feels like it went for more of a mainstream pop approach than we tend to expect from her. Don’t get me wrong, I do like this track (like, not love), but it seems too gimmicky for her overall vibe. Especially as a title track. Another songs fall flat too, which is why it’s far from my favorite LDR record. 

Blue Banisters… someone had to finish last. Actually, it was a toss up with LFL, but something about its release just didn’t resonate with me. With time, I’ve come to fall in love with some of the tracks. Most of the time, Thunder is a top 3 LDR song for me. Cherry Blossom is a real tear-jerker. It was a song that I skipped over early on, but later grew very fond of. Text Book and Arcadia also invoke strong emotions for me, at times. Wildflower Wildfire also does, but something about its production makes me go back and forth on that track. Dealer is a song that I once disliked, later fell in love with, but now it depends on my mood. The overall pacing drags a bit, so that’s another reason why it rounds out the bottom of my list. 

That was fun! Albeit a little hard…

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879

1. UV

2. NFR

3. Ocean Blvd

4. BTD/Paradise

5. Honeymoon

6. Blue Banisters

7. Lust for life

8. Chemtrails

My rankings are based on what I listen to the most but it  changes all the time mostly depending on my mood. It’s so hard choosing because every one has a special place in my heart and they’re all so different. She truly doesn’t have a bad album 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

1. Blue Banisters (every word on the album is so relatable, production is so beautiful) 10/10

2. Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd (production her best, album feels so honest and vulnerable, favourite visuals) 10/10

3. Chemtrails Over the Country Club (aesthetically amazing, folk fits her voice so well) 9.9/10

4. Norman Fucking Rockwell! (masterpiece, genius, album cover her best) 9.8/10

5. Honeymoon (perfect summer album alongside froot + third favourite visuals) 9.5/10

6. Ultraviolence (genius + second favourite visuals) 9.5/10

7. Lana Del Ray (aesthetically and thematically amazing, production fell short though) 9.2/10

8. Lust for Life (fun but lowk forgettable) 9/10

9. Born to Die (great debut but never go back to listen as a whole, will listen to songs individually though) 9/10

ranked by how much I just generally like the album not an objective or detailed take

𝐼 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶 𝒟𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑜 𝐵𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝑀𝒾𝓃𝒹
𝒩𝑜𝓉 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓁𝒹

⋆♥⋆

img%5D

This was tuff :deadbanana: I love all her albums but if i had to rank them it would look something like this. I’m not ranking Sirens as i don’t listen enough and i’m not including her damn poetry album 💀

1 - Ultraviolence - Her timeless magnum opus that transcends time and space. This album should be put on a space capsule so when humans are gone it can be evidence of our existence. The vibe is 10/10. The songs are 10/10. The delivery is 10/10. Side A is literally the best “pop” music ever recorded. PWYC is one of my fav Lana songs, so is FMWUTTT (amazing vocal delivery on that one). Black Beauty is one of the best songs ever recorded, and Flipside IS the best song ever recorded. And Florida Kilos is her best bop. 11/10 album fuck you if you don’t like it

2 - AKA - The Lizzy Grant album is like taking a trip into the past. It makes me nostalgic for a time period of my life that doesn’t even exist. Something about it is truly magical and i really can’t explain it. I’ve heard other people express this sentiment as well. The vibe is set from the beginning, and it continue throughout the whole album. I love the instrumentals, songs, lyrics (by far my fav album lyrically), and basic diy imagery. It really feels like a glamorous trailer trash nostalgia trip. It has some of my favorite Lana songs ever. For K pt 2, Pawn Shop Blues (🥹), Yayo (The best version), and of course the mighty underrated Raise Me Up. Some people bitch about the production, but i think its perfect and adds to the atmosphere. A MONUMENTAL album for sure. I want to buy and listen to it on cassette for max vibes :defeated:

3 - Born to Die - A timeless classic. I love every song. The trip hop stuff here is amazing and catchy and no one could do it like Lana. Particularly Dark Paradise, Without You, National Anthem, This is What Makes Us Gurls, hell the whole album is bops. But what elevates it so much for me is the beautiful pretty songs. You know damn well which ones. Born to Die and Video Games :defeated:. Video Games makes me damn near shed a tear and Born to Die is a iconic nostalgic song of the ages and catalyst of her career. A timeless album truly and that bald cunt on the internet that gave it a 3/10 for woke points will go to hell and have to explain to satan what he was thinking. No staying power? Yeah look at it now bitch!

4 - NFR - A Masterpiece in every way. I can truly say i love every song and they all contribute something in their own way. It feels very beautiful but also very catchy at the same time. I love the emphasis on instrumentation throughout. But i also love it when it switches up into a ballad or a bop. Cinnamon Girl is one of my favs. I particularly like the long drawn out choruses throughout. They make the songs feel epic and empowering. California, Happiness is a Butterfly, Hope, and one of my personal favs Love Song :crai:. I gotta say my favorite thing about the entire album tho is MAC/Venice Bitch. Good god Lana outdid herself. Timeless classics to be remembered forever. A perfect album.

5 - Ocean Blvd - It feels weird putting Ocean at only 5. I guess thats how numbers work 😭. This album is absolutely beautiful. I love literally every song and wouldn’t change a thing about it. Ok i would change the interludes :air:. Maybe shorten them out a little. But besides that it is literally perfect. Lana’s best and most beautiful ballads, that also somehow manage to be catchy and infectious. Her vocals also really shined as they sounded vulnerable but still beautiful and multidimensional. Also the BOPs. Fishtail :defeated: Peppers :defeated: and fuckin A&W :defeated: but most of all i remember the first time i heard Taco Truck x VB. Holy shit i damn near shit and pissed my pants. I couldn't believe the amazing way she incorporated Venice Bitch to finish the album. Truly an amazing Lana album for the ages, and A&W may be one of the best songs she ever made 🫡 Also leak Zodiac

6 - Paradise - By todays standard this is basically an album. It’s only 2 min shorter than Ari’s Eternal Sunshine which everyone agrees is an album so i’ll count Paradise on it’s own. Paradise really feels like a Born to Die DLC :defeated:. It fits the mood of that album so well while on it’s own feeling somewhat more tropical and extravagant. American is my personal fav but Cola is a classic and Ride is a Lana magnum opus. I also really like Blue Velvet, as up to this point in her career i think it’s one of her most fancy and extravagant sounding songs she made.

7 - Honeymoon - Dare i say Lanas most UNDERRATED album. And i have it at 7😭. It is sultry and beautiful throughout, but when it bops, it BOPS. Freak, Art Deco, and The Blackest Day are all amazing but the more pretty low key songs are amazing as well. I like the first half more than the second but overall i think this may be Lanas most cohesive project

8 - Blue Banisters - The intellectuals Lana album. Not much to say just a collection of pretty songs. I really love Wildflower Wildfire and Arcadia. Dealer is a classic. I see why some people would have this as least fav tho

9 - COCC - Has multiple beautful songs but good god it also has some that are colassal misses. I do really like the overall sound and aesthetic of this album. The title track COCC is one of Lanas most beautful tracks. White Dress as well.

10 - Lust for Life - Sorry 😭. I love the witchy trap stuff and side b is camp, but i just am not a fan of rap music so the features really do nothing for me. Love and Lust for Life are beautiful songs and Cherry is a classic, but why tf is the Weekends voice higher than Lanas 😭, idk the song is kinda goofy but i still love this album

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237ep20gi51lvjl437x

nfr/lfl it used to be nfr first but I've been listening to lfl more recently

2 Ocean Blvd

3 Cotcc 😒 this keeps getting autocorrected as Costco

4 blue banisters

5 paradise/born to die tbh I don't see a difference

6 ultra violence

7 honeymoon

I don't listen to Lanas oldest stuff at all 😭 not that I don't want to I never find the time so I'm really unfamiliar with the rest

1. Lust For Life

2. Ocean Blvd

3. Norman Fucking Rockwell

4. Honeymoon

5. Ultraviolence

6. Born To Die

7. Paradise 

8. Chemtrails Over The Country Club

9. Blue Banisters

:wink:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7laynh1btcbtvab9ylb

21 minutes ago, ttulsa said:

nfr/lfl it used to be nfr first but I've been listening to lfl more recently

2 Ocean Blvd

3 Cotcc 😒 this keeps getting autocorrected as Costco

4 blue banisters

5 paradise/born to die tbh I don't see a difference

6 ultra violence

7 honeymoon

I don't listen to Lanas oldest stuff at all 😭 not that I don't want to I never find the time so I'm really unfamiliar with the rest

Oh that’s not

My Album Ranking

1. Lust For Life

2. Ultraviolence

3. Honeymoon

4. Paradise

5. Born To Die

6. Norman Fucking Rockwell!

7. Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd

8. Chemtrails Over The Country Club

9. Lana Del Ray A.K.A. Lizzy Grant (IDGAF I'm Counting It)

10. Blue Banisters

it changed again :oic2: This is my ranking mostly based on which I like most as an album & what I usually listen to the most

1. UV = OB
  2. NFR 
  3. Honeymoon
  4. BTD paradise edition (without paradise it would be two below)
  5. Lust for life
  6. Chemtrails
  7. blue banisters

UV, OB and NFR are my holy trinity but I genuinely love every single one, even blue banisters

before: 

Spoiler

1. UV

2. NFR

3. Ocean Blvd

4. BTD/Paradise

5. Honeymoon

6. Blue Banisters

7. Lust for life

8. Chemtrails

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

Just now, DemonMic2003 said:

Don’t worry I’m teasing lol

😂 Need to like this when I get home to my laptop can't heart stuff rn

On 10/13/2023 at 9:14 PM, lanaismamom said:

never listen to, like 5 songs in total from all 3

6. Blue Banisters/Chemtrails Over the Country Club

7. Norman Fucking Rockwell! 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952i0b9ry3zqpnvkwztwfn

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ