Monicker

Minor General Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Does anyone know if any unreleased tracks were intended for AKA? I heard Trash Magic and Get Drunk were demos for the album. Are there any more? Is this confirmed to be true?

i think whatever was on the no kung fu mixtape, but I know for sure Jimmy Gnecco and a version of Hundred Dollar Bill

so what exactly happened to the LanaDelReyNow tumblr? Someone on tumblr said Fran deleted it and another account because of leaks (true? and how would they know?) I tried searching for this topic and couldn't find anything here

LDR_tropico_gif.gif

Saw this in a youtube comment

"Not true, she's a liar. She said she didnt have any contact with her parents for years and didnt even have her social security number but if you do a simple google search, you can find a load of pictures of her (all through the years she apparently had no contact with them)with her dad at fancy events- sitting next to billionaires, being on a private jet, on a boat with another millionaire and meeting celebrities like Miley cyrus.

She lived in NY in a flat with her brother and sister that their parents bought for them. But she rented a trailer park trailer for 6months with a boyfriend and pretends she was poor....

Shes been rich her whole life, she paid for studio time and worked with very big producers before she got famous (not to mention got plastic surgery) how do you assume she paid for all that? Studio time alone costs thousands...but she claimed she "barely had money for cereal". "

How much of it is true?

It's a little unclear exactly what period of time she was talking about that she didn't have much contact with her parents, but I'm skeptical of that claim. She also tends to downplay her family's financial situation. (See this previous post of mine for more detail.) That said, I've never seen anyone making the claim that her father bought her career or studio time present any evidence. It's completely speculation.

Oh, and the Miley thing? That's probably based on Hipster Runoff, ground zero for Lana mythology, miscaptioning this photo (probably knowingly and satirically) "OMG u got to hang out with Miley???!?! #jeal":

morningafter_0.jpg

It's just a photo where her sis Chuck happens to look a bit like Hannah Montana. That photo is practically a microcosm of the LDR-as-daddy-bought-label-creation myth. You have Lana and Chuck hanging out with her modestly wealthy dad at a domain name industry convention with his two of his much, much wealthier buds from the domain name world. But in the hands of Hipster Runoff they are music "industry insiders". Even her dad is identified not as her dad but as "an 'industry insider', probably scheming to 'trick' the indie blogosphere." Sorry Carles, but you managed to do that perfectly well all by yourself.

The media narrative that LDR was a label creation funded by her dad is almost entirely mythical as is Lana's narrative that neither she nor her family had money. The truth is almost certainly much more boring than any of that.

Does anyone know if any unreleased tracks were intended for AKA? I heard Trash Magic and Get Drunk were demos for the album. Are there any more? Is this confirmed to be true?

i think whatever was on the no kung fu mixtape, but I know for sure Jimmy Gnecco and a version of Hundred Dollar Bill

This is basically another retread of the "outtake" question. "Intended for". Probably only Lana or maybe David Kahne can really answer that.

David Kahne has previously stated the only track he worked on with Lana besides what ended up on AKA was "C-Note", an alternate name for HDB, but after the album was finished.

The NKF tracks are rumored to be among the demos sent to Kahne to attract his interest in producing her and possibly fit the description of tracks recorded first with Steven Mertens and re-recorded with Kahne.

But we don't really know.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Does anyone have any good LDR landmarks I should see in NYC! Going to stay there for an internship!!

Visit Fordham University's Rose Hill Campus where she attended college. Listening to "Fordham Road", wander through the Bronx (careful, it's a "bad neighborhood"!) on your way there and see if you can find the cheap coffee place on Valentine or the "stone Mary in the garden". On campus, stop in to the McGinley Center there and check out the ballroom where she sang at a fundraiser. Cross campus to Rodrigue's Coffee House in Alumni House where Lana played several gigs (including her first known gig and another one the same night as the fundraiser). Get caffeinated imagining Lizzy singing "Get Drunk" and "Pawn Shop Blues" here while playing acoustic guitar.

Visit more venues where she performed in her early years. They're all listed in the Early Shows section. (Keep in mind that some venues have closed or moved since then. I've tried to list the original addresses in the show threads when possible, but I'm not sure it's 100% accurate.) Explore her Williamsburg stomping grounds at night listening to "Oh Say Can You See". Wander through alleys and look at the bars.

Visit the trailer park where she lived, Manhattan Mobile Home Park at 4828 Tonelle Ave. in North Bergen, New Jersey if it hasn't been demolished yet. (It doesn't appear to have been based on Google StreetView photos from December.) Take the Lincoln Tunnel which inspired the "tunnel lined with yellow lights" lyric in "Yayo" as you take yourself "from this dark trailer park life."

Definitely visit Coney Island. Walk down Mermaid and Neptune Avenues. Eat cotton candy and explore the boardwalk while listening to "Mermaid Motel". Ride the coasters and the Wonder Wheel. Stick your toes in the sand while listening to "Kill Kill". Lie in the ocean singing her song. Check out the aquarium before you go. Come back for the annual Mermaid Parade.

You might also consider traveling down the Jersey Shore to a couple similar boardwalk destinations, Seaside Heights, where I think she wrote "Trash Magic", and Wildwood, where one of her classic photo shoots was taken.

And if you're really hardcore, consider a road trip to beautiful Lake Placid, where she grew up.

If you do any of this please take pictures and post about it!

so what exactly happened to the LanaDelReyNow tumblr? Someone on tumblr said Fran deleted it and another account because of leaks (true? and how would they know?) I tried searching for this topic and couldn't find anything here

@@Trash Magic @@HeadBitch

The media narrative that LDR was a label creation funded by her dad is almost entirely mythical as is Lana's narrative that neither she nor her family had money. The truth is almost certainly much more boring than any of that.

I agree totally with this. With all due respect to Rob, anyone who follows his twitter feed can tell he's 100% dorky, proud father, 0% industry insider.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Visit Fordham University's Rose Hill Campus where she attended college. Listening to "Fordham Road", wander through the Bronx (careful, it's a "bad neighborhood"!) on your way there and see if you can find the cheap coffee place on Valentine or the "stone Mary in the garden". On campus, stop in to the McGinley Center there and check out the ballroom where she sang at a fundraiser. Cross campus to Rodrigue's Coffee House in Alumni House where Lana played several gigs (including her first known gig and another one the same night as the fundraiser). Get caffeinated imagining Lizzy singing "Get Drunk" and "Pawn Shop Blues" here while playing acoustic guitar.

Visit more venues where she performed in her early years. They're all listed in the Early Shows section. (Keep in mind that some venues have closed or moved since then. I've tried to list the original addresses in the show threads when possible, but I'm not sure it's 100% accurate.) Explore her Williamsburg stomping grounds at night listening to "Oh Say Can You See". Wander through alleys and look at the bars.

Visit the trailer park where she lived, Manhattan Mobile Home Park at 4828 Tonelle Ave. in North Bergen, New Jersey if it hasn't been demolished yet. (It doesn't appear to have been based on Google StreetView photos from December.) Take the Lincoln Tunnel which inspired the "tunnel lined with yellow lights" lyric in "Yayo" as you take yourself "from this dark trailer park life."

Definitely visit Coney Island. Walk down Mermaid and Neptune Avenues. Eat cotton candy and explore the boardwalk while listening to "Mermaid Motel". Ride the coasters and the Wonder Wheel. Stick your toes in the sand while listening to "Kill Kill". Lie in the ocean singing her song. Check out the aquarium before you go. Come back for the annual Mermaid Parade.

You might also consider traveling down the Jersey Shore to a couple similar boardwalk destinations, Seaside Heights, where I think she wrote "Trash Magic", and Wildwood, where one of her classic photo shoots was taken.

And if you're really hardcore, consider a road trip to beautiful Lake Placid, where she grew up.

If you do any of this please take pictures and post about it!

@@Trash Magic @@HeadBitch

Oh my god thank you so much for taking the time! I will definitely do as much of that as possible and take a ton of pics and post them!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Does anyone know how much the paradise edition boxset cost at its original msrp in $USD?

I didn't buy it in the US but it cost me under $50. So glad I bought it. 

3 Copyright violations within an 18 month period

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Is this Lizzy playing, or someone else? If so, any clue who? 

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1129420

"...I don't play a good guitar, but..." I doubt that's her

I feel like it would be too easy to make a fake account on Reverb Nation

I think it's confirmed that the account is legit but I don't think anyone knows what that track is (who is Brandon? is it her playing? is it an instrumental?)

I feel like I've answered this question before in some detail (in status updates?), but for the life of me I can't find it right now. I did find some previous discussion about this beginning here and continuing off and on over the next several pages of that thread. (However, that discussion is an example of why we shouldn't take every pronouncement of the legendary CG of LDR.FM literally or as inerrant without receipts.) The track is almost certainly not Lana playing, though I think the Reverbnation profile is probably legit. It was archived as early as November 16, 2011 (which is late enough that she was becoming known so it's possible someone faked the account, but early enough that that's less likely) and lists details about three 2008 shows that she really did perform. The one thing that gives me pause is that the photo, despite looking like her during her short blonde hair phase, does not actually apear to be of her. Maybe she found the picture and used it because she liked it? The title of the instrumental guitar track on that account, "for brandon", is a very Lizzy-esque title, but it's definitely not her playing. Her guitar playing on the songs she is believed to have played on is nowhere near that advanced. As she says in "For K Part 2" she doesn't play a good guitar. Also, I asked Alice BrightSky about this when I contacted her for the Early Shows section and she agreed: "Hm.. I have no idea but it's definitely not her playing the guitar."

I've always wondered if the title might be referring in some way to Brandon Wilde, another singer/songwriter in the Williamsburg music scene whose song "Love in Cars" she covered at a show where musicians covered each other's songs.

Or perhaps it's some other Brandon entirely.

Pv2V7uJ.png

What was the (general) set lists for her first tours?

Depends what you consider her first tour. If you mean her first tour between "Video Games" and BTD then it was generally this.

Can someone explain to me the Sirens tracklist? I know we only had a few (or maybe no?) confirmed track titles when it first leaked, but then after Young Like Me / From The End some were confirmed by those two EPs leaking with track data.

it's just hard for me to buy that we have a "For K (Part 2)" and then not a "For K"

H0bDaqU.gif

Can someone explain to me the Sirens tracklist? I know we only had a few (or maybe no?) confirmed track titles when it first leaked, but then after Young Like Me / From The End some were confirmed by those two EPs leaking with track data.

it's just hard for me to buy that we have a "For K (Part 2)" and then not a "For K"

See here and here.

:groundhog: