Matt

Movie Discussion Thread

i never used to watch movies till this summer, i was always like "nah i'm too bored to see movies they're boring" but then i decided to make a list of all the cute films i've always been curios to watch and i've seen like 17 movies in the past month and i still have some i still have to watch.

these are the movies i've seen so far:

The virgin suicides 

Marie Antoniette

Lèon

The Black Swan 

Palo Alto 

Girl Interrupted 

Closer

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Lolita 

Romeo + Juliet 

The Place Beyond the Pines

Bling Ring

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You

Lion

Melancholia

The Breakfast Club

Cruel Intentions

i have this movies saved that i need to movie, suggest me which one do you think i should see first please haha

Her

500 days of summer

Clueless

Fight Club

Weird Science 

if you have more movies to suggest me i'll be happy to add em in my list 

i never used to watch movies till this summer, i was always like "nah i'm too bored to see movies they're boring" but then i decided to make a list of all the cute films i've always been curios to watch and i've seen like 17 movies in the past month and i still have some i still have to watch.

these are the movies i've seen so far:

The virgin suicides 

Marie Antoniette

Lèon

The Black Swan 

Palo Alto 

Girl Interrupted 

Closer

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Lolita 

Romeo + Juliet 

The Place Beyond the Pines

Bling Ring

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You

Lion

Melancholia

The Breakfast Club

Cruel Intentions

i have this movies saved that i need to movie, suggest me which one do you think i should see first please haha

Her

500 days of summer

Clueless

Fight Club

Weird Science 

if you have more movies to suggest me i'll be happy to add em in my list

Watch Clueless next! It's awesome :)

Based on your lists, I have some suggestions:

- American Beauty

- The Craft

- Beaches

- Glass House

- Shawshank Redemption

- Heathers

- Flowers In The Attic (1987)

- The Devils Advocate

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Watch Clueless next! It's awesome :)

Based on your lists, I have some suggestions:

- American Beauty

- The Craft

- Beaches

- Glass House

- Shawshank Redemption

- Heathers

- Flowers In The Attic (1987)

- The Devils Advocate

Thank you so much!! I'll add these 

Ouch that hurt, music and films being my two biggest passions  :giggle: You should check out Moonlight, The Revenant, Still Alice, Interstellar, Mad Max - Fury RoadGravity and Ex Machina - these are some of my faves and first ones to cross my mind right now. Though I'd also recommend Arrival - someone here it saw it earlier this year but I can't remember who -, Jackie, Elle, Dunkirk and La La Land. I enjoyed all of them a lot, and Isabelle Huppert was amazing in Elle which I saw a couple of weeks back. I see you've watched Melancholia, so I'd also recommend Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac, it's not an easy one especially if you're not watching it in the two volumes but in full (4 hours) but I first saw it early 2015 and there's still something engaging about it. And while we're at it, The Lobster.

My boyfriend and I go to the cinema quite frequently and this year we've went to see 13 films so far, Handmaiden tomorrow and another 2 on Friday which I'm really excited about, most of all because the second one we're seeing is Darren Aronofsky's mother! and I've been looking forward to it for quite some time. I'm doing my best to avoid spoilers but from what I've heard it could be one of this year's most distressing and sickening films - and for some reason that just makes me want to see it even more. Now I'm not into hardcore gore and shit but psychological thrillers are the best and I really love Black Swan so my hopes are quite high at this point. Other recent/upcoming films I also have on my watchlist are Get Out, It Comes at Night, Justice League, Nocturnal Animals, Thor: RagnarokThe Enchanted, A Cure for Wellness, Murder on the Orient Express, All Eyez on Me and The Killing of a Sacred Deer just to name some. 

I made a Letterboxd account 2,5 years ago and since then I've watched 464 films, 120 in these last 9 months.  :flutter:

I've been obsessed with Heat by Paul Morrisey and Andy Warhol these past few weeks.

I'm generally not a fan of their works from that period of time as I don't care for their shoddy camera work, the ad libbed dialogue and the resulting loosely strung, barely-there plots, yet none of this matters with Heat. On the contrary, I think the respective actors and actresses have such natural prowess in and of themselves that this laissez-faire approach to filming adds a sense of realism and a kind of humour you don't find in other films, underground or not, and makes up for any of the film's shortcomings. I mean, Sylvia Miles (my DP) is fucking bomb. Her vibrancy alone makes it empowering to watch her, same goes for Pat Ast. Love the aesthetic of the whole film, its nuances, everything.

Basically you should watch it, the entire thing's on YouTube :) and there are so many quotable lines, I live.

When I first saw mother! about three months ago I left the cinema shocked, disgusted and kinda angry because I felt like I had just been assaulted in a way. I had read that nothing prepares you for the brutal and nightmarish hell of a climax and it's absolutely true unless you've read the complete plot beforehand. I squirmed in my seat for the last half an hour or so with my heart racing, one hand on my open mouth and one scratching the armrest. The film pulls the carpet under your feet multiple times and even though I sort of saw it coming, one particular scene - the most disturbing one - brought tears to my eyes out of pure shock and anger. "It's time to get the FUCK out of my house!", well said J-Law. However there's no denying that even then I felt like I had just witnessed something unique and remarkable, a cinematic experience I have never gone through before. I started appreciating the film as my shock wore out and here I am, obsessed and in love with the film, desperate to get it on blu-ray and to experience it once again. Gonna have to wait until January 29th for the blu-ray to come out here though  :crossed:

I've done a lot of reading about all the possible interpretations along with the script and spent a lot of time thinking about the film and forming interpretations of my own, and that's one of the reasons why I keep going back to it in my head; there's so, so, so many ways how you can interpret it that everyone can make their own interpretations about it. Darren Aronofsky has written and directed an allegory that goes all the way to biblical proportions, metaphors to the Bible being the most obvious. Even so you can pretty much look at the film however you want; you can see it as an allegory of how women have been and are treated in society and history, how mankind treats the nature, even idolization and fan culture. I've seen a lot of films and I could say that I have yet to see a film that would leave me thinking about it months later the same way as mother! has. It's definitely a cinematic and artistic experience of its own, one that you rarely come across and deserves a watch for that reason alone, or at least because of the incredible sound design. The film's insane and uncomfortable as hell, but it's also definitely one of the most subversive films I've ever seen and an uncompromising one, how a major studio agreed on doing something like that is beyond me. Also thinking of throwing some bucks on a book about making the finale that's coming in February. 

Oh and spoiler alert

I'll never look at Kristen Wiig the way I used to  :tsk:

James Franco directed & starring in Disaster Artist, one of the best and one of my favorite movies of the year (Lady Bird is another).

Disaster Artist is a great homage to Tommy W & the movie "the room". ,It is not a satire, and surprisingly, a really touching movie. The love between brothers James and Dave is real and makes the movie even better. James Franco has always been able to get into the characters and he puts a lot out each year, some like it, ,some don't

James reminds in so many ways of Lana and the sibling relationship of James & Dave is like Lana & Chuck

That thin line between making fun, and a homage, this is a great homage, warm, loving, touching, it really got to me.

Would be nice to see James get nominated for best actor (and even nicer to win).

Also, look for all the famous cameo performances in the movie

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

im not into the whole superhero franchise but golee was Justice League bad. snoring dialogue, disgusting CGI effects like omg Avengers is miles better 

I feel sad for Warner, I don't know one single person who liked that movie. Even my friend that LOVES the other movies from the franchise (WW, Man Of Steel, BVS, SUICIDE SQUAD) hated JL. 

but TDK Franchise (Christopher Nolan's) >>>>>> the whole universe

i won a underrated member lipster award im dog im nice don't come for me or i will eat u

When I first saw mother! about three months ago I left the cinema shocked, disgusted and kinda angry because I felt like I had just been assaulted in a way. I had read that nothing prepares you for the brutal and nightmarish hell of a climax and it's absolutely true unless you've read the complete plot beforehand. I squirmed in my seat for the last half an hour or so with my heart racing, one hand on my open mouth and one scratching the armrest. The film pulls the carpet under your feet multiple times and even though I sort of saw it coming, one particular scene - the most disturbing one - brought tears to my eyes out of pure shock and anger. "It's time to get the FUCK out of my house!", well said J-Law. However there's no denying that even then I felt like I had just witnessed something unique and remarkable, a cinematic experience I have never gone through before. I started appreciating the film as my shock wore out and here I am, obsessed and in love with the film, desperate to get it on blu-ray and to experience it once again. Gonna have to wait until January 29th for the blu-ray to come out here though  :crossed:

I've done a lot of reading about all the possible interpretations along with the script and spent a lot of time thinking about the film and forming interpretations of my own, and that's one of the reasons why I keep going back to it in my head; there's so, so, so many ways how you can interpret it that everyone can make their own interpretations about it. Darren Aronofsky has written and directed an allegory that goes all the way to biblical proportions, metaphors to the Bible being the most obvious. Even so you can pretty much look at the film however you want; you can see it as an allegory of how women have been and are treated in society and history, how mankind treats the nature, even idolization and fan culture. I've seen a lot of films and I could say that I have yet to see a film that would leave me thinking about it months later the same way as mother! has. It's definitely a cinematic and artistic experience of its own, one that you rarely come across and deserves a watch for that reason alone, or at least because of the incredible sound design. The film's insane and uncomfortable as hell, but it's also definitely one of the most subversive films I've ever seen and an uncompromising one, how a major studio agreed on doing something like that is beyond me. Also thinking of throwing some bucks on a book about making the finale that's coming in February. 

Oh and spoiler alert

I'll never look at Kristen Wiig the way I used to  :tsk:

:oic2:

I started watching Brokeback Mountain yesterday and will finish it soon tonight. I think it’s a really good film, has any else seen it?

yeah i fell asleep

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e