Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Lots of the artists people call “authentic” just have an “authentic-looking” persona. One being whoever they want to be and writing from their soul and taking artistic liberties to bring this artistic vision to life is a lot more authentic than artists whole shtick is “I’m so real and relatable”. Art isn’t about sharing everything about yourself. You write yourself and play yourself in the way you choose. Art is short for artifice. It doesn’t mean artists are “fake”. It’s art.

i just want to say - art is not short for artifice.  "art" (from latin "ars") came into recorded use in the english language as like "skilled craft" around 1300, while "artifice" first meant something like "ingenuity" and didn't shift in meaning towards "fakery" till around the 17th century.  Artifice comes from Latin "ars" as in skilled craftsmanship, and "facere" meaning "to make."  The "artificial" as in "unnatural and fake" connotation came later.

http://www.word-detective.com/2012/06/artartifice/

There are plenty of artists who hype their personal stories but are not lying or being fake.  Like, is Bjork a mythological Icelandic goddess re-incarnated as a '90s punk to heal the world through music and bridge the rift between nature and technology?  In real life, yeah kind of tbh that's what she does.  MIA is another artist who people have picked apart for her personal story and called inauthentic but a lot of her art comes from the reality of being a refugee fleeing a war zone whose dad founded the Tamil resistance movement, and she has said explicitly that real life is her inspiration because it's what she knows.

Art can highlight something meaningful without being fake.  Art can involve fakeness and still accentuate a truth about reality, or a truth about the artist.  Creating a persona to better tell a story that has meaning and a basis in reality and truth is not uncommon.  People who actually just shapeshift all the time and are different people from one day to the next really do exist, also, and are not necessarily lying as much as just being dynamic individuals.  Lies and fakery just to become famous and make money are, to me, completely fucking worthless and devalue anything they may pretend to be about.  Because at that point it's not "art" it's just a cheap and shallow representation of nothing but aesthetic that does absolutely nothing to actually enrich or explain or give meaning to life and reality for people living with the truth.

This is why I was into Lana at first bc I thought she was saying something deeper than she has now shown she ever was.  And I personally related with whatever persona she was putting on, like probably a lot of us here did.  Because something she was playing at was true and real in my life even if it wasn't in hers.  And maybe she's jsut like cracking under the pressure of being famous in 2019, or maybe she's pregnant and just doesn't want anyone to know but her whole life and career is taking a backseat, or maybe she's been fake the whole time and she's nothing but a basic rich white girl with no care or knowledge about anything but herself and her own touristy experience.  Who knows?  But art =/= fakeness.  Art can be truer than true, and that's what I thought Lana was repping at first, talking about making her life a work of art and blurring the lines between the real and the fake.  That's why I thought she was interesting.  But not if she's actually just fake.

Thank you for attending my seminar

Interscope knows they're gonna make a lot of money no matter when the album is released so I think it's the last of their problems

That person told me Cinnamon was 3:42 but never gave me any proof

conveniently the same length as the long version on youtube...

i just want to say - art is not short for artifice.  "art" (from latin "ars") came into recorded use in the english language as like "skilled craft" around 1300, while "artifice" first meant something like "ingenuity" and didn't shift in meaning towards "fakery" till around the 17th century.  Artifice comes from Latin "ars" as in skilled craftsmanship, and "facere" meaning "to make."  The "artificial" as in "unnatural and fake" connotation came later.

http://www.word-detective.com/2012/06/artartifice/

There are plenty of artists who hype their personal stories but are not lying or being fake.  Like, is Bjork a mythological Icelandic goddess re-incarnated as a '90s punk to heal the world through music and bridge the rift between nature and technology?  In real life, yeah kind of tbh that's what she does.  MIA is another artist who people have picked apart for her personal story and called inauthentic but a lot of her art comes from the reality of being a refugee fleeing a war zone whose dad founded the Tamil resistance movement, and she has said explicitly that real life is her inspiration because it's what she knows.

Art can highlight something meaningful without being fake.  Art can involve fakeness and still accentuate a truth about reality, or a truth about the artist.  Creating a persona to better tell a story that has meaning and a basis in reality and truth is not uncommon.  People who actually just shapeshift all the time and are different people from one day to the next really do exist, also, and are not necessarily lying as much as just being dynamic individuals.  Lies and fakery just to become famous and make money are, to me, completely fucking worthless and devalue anything they may pretend to be about.  Because at that point it's not "art" it's just a cheap and shallow representation of nothing but aesthetic that does absolutely nothing to actually enrich or explain or give meaning to life and reality for people living with the truth.

This is why I was into Lana at first bc I thought she was saying something deeper than she has now shown she ever was.  And I personally related with whatever persona she was putting on, like probably a lot of us here did.  Because something she was playing at was true and real in my life even if it wasn't in hers.  And maybe she's jsut like cracking under the pressure of being famous in 2019, or maybe she's pregnant and just doesn't want anyone to know but her whole life and career is taking a backseat, or maybe she's been fake the whole time and she's nothing but a basic rich white girl with no care or knowledge about anything but herself and her own touristy experience.  Who knows?  But art =/= fakeness.  Art can be truer than true, and that's what I thought Lana was repping at first, talking about making her life a work of art and blurring the lines between the real and the fake.  That's why I thought she was interesting.  But not if she's actually just fake.

Thank you for attending my seminar

I would like to sign up to more classes

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Good morning hennies I left in hopes of distracting myself from this terribly awful era but I’ve missed you all & I can’t stop thinking about miss Long Del Wait – I’ve decided to let delusion and false hope ram me in the ass once more! Did I miss anything important?

:hooker:

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

Good morning hennies I left in hopes of distracting myself from this terribly awful era but I’ve missed you all & I can’t stop thinking about miss Long Del Wait – I’ve decided to let delusion and false hope ram me in the ass once more! Did I miss anything important?

Hii bb, we are now speculating if HIAB could actually be NFR because some rando on Twitter posted a tracklist and HIAB isn't on it

i always laugh w these jokes jldnclsj

If it’s the case, i’m Curious to see where the Norman Fucking Rockwell line fits into all this.

Probably not at all. It's like Cruel World, she never actually says 'cruel world' in the song. Could be the same thing for HIAB/NFR/

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven