Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

"exploiting" is definitely something that can be said about it, for the reasons both you and i mentioned. it's never satirical or metaphorical though, she actually identifies with and is drawn to all kinds of outsiders / people on the margins of society, and that (+ a fair amount of misogyny, too) was the reason why the whole debate around her authenticity happened back in 2012. she adopts those identities as personas, but of course she doesn't live her own life accordingly - because she never did, not really; she's not trying to *really* be trailer park poor, or a prostitute, stripper, mafia princess, heroin addict or what-have-you, she's essentially glamorizing the white trashiness and danger of it all while safely taking what fascinates her & applying it to her music. i think that's the one valid reason to criticize lana & i'm absolutely open to that pov, but at the same time why NOT explore something that fascinates us safely via music/whatever art form? does art need to be - or even should be - morally responsible and "authentic"? and, you know, all the usual questions.

And I welcome her exploring it--she's explored so many lifestyles, social classes, POVs, themes, subjects, genres--she's been very creative that way, the same way, over the course of their careers, Blondie and Kate Bush have--they've explored everything from incest, UFOs, the Palestine conflict and Houdini to synchronicity, secretive homosexual lovers and the robbing of banks. I welcome that. 

But the LDR of HTD seems mawkishly emotional rather than movingly sincere and genuine to me, and I don't care for the specific use of the line, "crack another beer." I think she's attempting to be sincere. She just doesn't succeed for me. Maybe when I hear the final version I will find it moving, but I don't think I'll ever like the 'beer' line. 

The production didn't take 3 years for fuck's sake oh my god you guys really love to hate on that song

Sometimes, all you should do is let them talk.

Don't waste your time with people who don't want to understand

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

Sometimes, all you should do is let them talk.

Don't waste your time with people who don't want to understand

i agree uwu

I honestly don’t think so. It’s a « simple » song for sure for its production, and yet, it works perfectly when you live something in your life that is similar to the emptiness/ despair of the song. The piano chords and her voice become haunting.

However, only one song with that kind of production would be enough for an album.

well yes it would be cute if they decided to master it. the audio randomly switches from left to right in the last chorus like twice for a split second and it makes the song unlistenable to me

image.png

The fact that Change was a last minute concept and recorded pretty imminently to meet a deadline and then Hope took three years and had time for the production to be ammended and perfected says a lot about her consistency.

I think hope took 3 years to complete lyrically. She wasn’t working with Jack for 3 years trying to create a melody.

giphy.gif

But ‘open up a beer’ sounds so much smoother and less vulgar than ‘crack another beer,’ don’t you think? And just ‘flows,’ even phonetically, within the context of all the other VG lyrics? It’s the specific expression, “crack another beer,” and the self-pitying/pitying way she sings the line, that I find especially rankling.

Thematically, these two songs are completely different. VG is set in the present, she's literally in heaven because of their mutual love. Open fits perfectly for their situation, it's a pretty neutral word.

HTD is a retrospect on her past. She's thinking about all the guys she had met. In contrary to the other guys, John has always been honest to her, he never sugarcoated issues regarding their relationship, he's always been brutally honest. The crack another beer is kinda a visualisation for this. 

a bloated album will flop by design. the actual only way she can make the wait worth it is if she pulls through with a GOOD cohesive album periyad. wanting 20 tracks is like asking for bad songs

1 Best American Record

2 Lust for Life demo

3 Something Real demo

4 Cherry demo

5 So Good demo

6 God Bless America & ATBWII

7 WTWWAWBWJKD

8 Beautiful People demo

9 TNC demo w/o Sean

10 Heroin

11 Love demo

12 Wild One

The Lust for Life we DESERVED!!!

tumblr_mg4bvnA8GI1qg6f6do1_500.gif

honestly, this. her entire early career is "blue collar" - not only that, she actually embraced white trash as an identity for quite a long time. (there's a lot to be said about that, of course: a privileged white girl basically slumming it & "experiencing" the poor life from the cushioned position of someone who'll always be able to run back to mom and dad if things *really* get rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTMWgOduFM

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.