Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

The (3) pre-album singles she's released so far are all truly great - they are among her career highlights. How To Disappear live is hauntingly beautiful, and so is pretty much every snippet she's shared so far. I don't know if Jack deserves any credit for this, but she has really perfected the formula and is playing to her strengths. So many of the tracks she's shared or teased so far are dripping with Lizzy Grant/Video Games vibes, it's just incredible. Lana singing about Jim and cracking beer over stripped down/minimalist production... it doesn't get better than that. it's what she does the best. Whenever she drops this album, it will become her best and most acclaimed work to date.

So it goes without saying that I'm befuddled by some of the posts that I'm seeing all over the internet, where certain group of ''fans'' are saying that she should scrap this boring, ''acoustic'' shit and re-work the album with Andrew Watt and shit like that. I honestly though that these people have moved on. I mean, it's been how many years since Born To Die? And here we are, in 2019, and they are still at it. They still don't get it. Lana doesn't need radio nor big Billboard entries just like Vampire Weekend doesn't need them.

I wish these people would just let it go already. If they want overly shallow, nonsensical, cartoonish, hookish pop sold as alternative, go listen to Halsey. Let Lana do her thing.

HTD is somewhat polarizing, I think. I will withhold final judgment until I hear the finished track, but LDR writing a Springsteen-ish/Billy Joel-ish blue collar/working class song with the coarse line “they just crack another beer” is both hilariously funny and also fairly depressing, as is the maudlin obviousness of the song, especially the syrupy ending.

I know she likes to try all genres and pulls many off well, but ‘blue collar Lana’ is not one I am interested in hearing from.

If LDR sang about spilling a martini, it would suit her image or former image, but LDR “cracking a beer”?? Intended seriously and not as a parody or satire? What’s next? Opening a can of Spam or changing a dirty nappie?

I know she’s said, in the last year, that she’s “writing the most beautiful songs,” but I hope she doesn’t think HTD is one of them.

For me, it’s way down on the LDR totem pole and doesn’t, in my opinion, hold a candle to ‘Video Games,’ ‘Summertime Sadness,’ ‘Yayo,’ ‘Ride,’ ‘Cola,’ ‘Gods & Monsters,’ ‘Old Money,’ ‘Black Beauty,’ or ‘Terrence Loves You.’

To me, it seems be among her worst tracks since she took the LDR name.

VB > 95% of her discography

Who was that one user who had daily meltdowns about people loving VB?

me, probably. VB > 95% of her discography? girl wtf :awk:

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

VB > 95% of her discography

Who was that one user who had daily meltdowns about people loving VB?

Venice Bitch is definitely her most overrated song

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

.If LDR sang about spilling a martini, it would suit her image or former image, but LDR “cracking a beer”?? Intended seriously and not as a parody or satire? What’s next? Opening a can of Spam or changing a dirty nappie?

...open up a beer? and you say get over here?? and play a video game???

it's just the way i feel

This is just a thought - I wonder if Lana is planning on leaving her label?

Back when 'record deals' were the goal, lots of artists have five record agreements. This has obviously changed in the modern streaming era but since NFR is her fifth release on Interscope they may be attempting to delay the release so they can negotiate the terms of trying to keep her. Once it launches she may be contractually able to leave so they are slowing the release to ensure they are able to find mutually agreeable terms, and since Lana is very much "I do what I want" it's both risky keeping her on with her own conditions and also equally annoying for the label losing a great artist. They can release the album once she decides - and as we see, in this scenario Lana literally is the one that is keeping the album from coming out since she cbf working with the negotiating. 

Also why Interscope is trying to push her more with Doin' Time and trying to show they can give her exposure which might explain this batshit weird (amazing) release . . . 

TIN FOIL HAT CONSPIRACY. 

:shh2:

3lfQEhw.png

...open up a beer? and you say get over here?? and play a video game???

But ‘open up a beer’ sounds so much smoother and less vulgar than ‘crack another beer,’ don’t you think? And just ‘flows,’ even phonetically, within the context of all the other VG lyrics? It’s the specific expression, “crack another beer,” and the self-pitying/pitying way she sings the line, that I find especially rankling.

But ‘open up a beer’ sounds so much smoother and less vulgar than ‘crack another beer,’ don’t you think? And just ‘flows,’ even phonetically, within the context of all the other VG lyrics? It’s the specific expression, “crack another beer” that I find especially rankling.

i kinda get what you mean (although i am a flaming HTD sympathizer and think it has the potential to be one of the best songs on the album, so i might be biased). i'm not bothered by that specific phrase, but i'm definitely someone who finds certain wording/phrasing offputting or awkward like that, so i get where you're coming from. honestly, even without the beer lines, HTD feels like the big sister of Video Games in a way; the casual situational details against strong emotion.

it's just the way i feel

i kinda get what you mean (although i am a flaming HTD sympathizer and think it has the potential to be one of the best songs on the album, so i might be biased). i'm not bothered by that specific phrase, but i'm definitely someone who finds certain wording/phrasing offputting or awkward like that, so i get where you're coming from. honestly, even without the beer lines, HTD feels like the big sister of Video Games in a way; the casual situational details against strong emotion.

I appreciate your tolerance of my particular taste then all the more. Sometimes it is relatively minor elements in a song that ruin it for us, like, for me the way she inexplicably emphasizes the word ‘parents’ in ‘Coachella’ or how she pronounces ‘beings’ in ‘Change’ as ‘beins.’

I appreciate your tolerance of my particular taste then all the more. Sometimes it is relatively minor elements in a song that ruin it for us, like, for me the way she inexplicably emphasizes the word ‘parents’ in ‘Coachella’ or how she pronounces ‘beings’ in ‘Change’ as ‘beins.’

Change is a powerful thing people are powerful beans

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

"change is a powerful thing" ​triforce of power

"hope is a dangerous thing" triforce of wisdom

...are there any other things? ​a triforce of courage perhaps???

blue eyes, and jazz, and attitude