Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

where the fuck is that is g-town!!

Yeah, its beside Queen Street train station, just round the corner from Buchanan Street/Buchanan Galleries.

this absolute torrent of content the past week or so has me wondering... do we expect an answer from Lana as to why it all took so long since MAC being released?

Or am I expecting too much? Come Aug. 30th I probably won't give a damn but am just CURIOUS.

I haven't listened to the NFR snippets since the day they leaked. I'm gonna hold off until the album is released. Only 21 more days to go!

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

She talked about wanting to put out her poetry book before she drops the album back in september, and releasing a book takes a long time, and that's probs why it took her so long. She probs realized that if she's gonna wait for the book to be released first the album won't be out any time soon, so she's dropping it this month. She said she didn't have a set release schedual for this album and that she just wanted to put it out with minimal promo, so there was no reason for her to drop it during march/april. Billie was dropping her debut March 29th so her label would probs not want that, and Marina was having her moment in April so she would probs not want to drop her album then. Maybe it was around that time that she thought about dropping it during the summer, which resulted in the August 30th date since you can't just drop an album like that without planning it a few months in advance so the physical copies and all that are ready. That's just my theory.

qfrWuBl.png

With all the new stuff this month I honestly feel like NFR was always slated for this release track but Lana just got excited about MAC and VB and couldn't wait to release them, I don't think she even thought about the fact that we'd be bothered waiting almost a year for the album

If NFR leaks, I don’t think it will be terribly crushing to LDR, Jack or Interscope. They’re all more than aware of how common this is today, so there’s some expectation for it to happen, and hope that it doesn’t.

In America, maybe 20 to 30 thousand people would download the leaked files, but a lot of Americans are not that savvy about how to do it, don’t want to get their PCs infected with viruses, or are simply honest and want to support the artist.

Then the equivalent of those people in America who would download the leaks in other countries will do the same around the world.

NFR will still sell many millions of copies and the rich will get richer, as they deserve to do for producing the work.

I wonder how much leaks really effect artists money-wise nowadays, since everyone uses a streaming service anyways and that contributes to streaming charts and profits. I've downloaded some leaks before but I don't go into my google docs to listen to those files when I just have Apple Music.

Obviously it's upsetting to have your material leaked and if it leaks early enough like what happened to LFL that could be bad. But I doubt it really effects their pockets by that much.

I’m listening to SOTW with earbuds for the first time and AAAAAAHHHH it sounds so GOOD. :defeated: Can’t wait to play this while going somewhere, kicking some colorful leaves from the pavements. :flutter:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

does anyone else feel like jack's production kind of ...leaves you hanging? i noticed it in mac and now in season of the witch...it's like something's building and i'm waiting for a tempo change or for louder instruments to kick in and it never happens

I wonder how much leaks really effect artists money-wise nowadays, since everyone uses a streaming service anyways and that contributes to streaming charts and profits. I've downloaded some leaks before but I don't go into my google docs to listen to those files when I just have Apple Music.

Obviously it's upsetting to have your material leaked and if it leaks early enough like what happened to LFL that could be bad. But I doubt it really effects their pockets by that much.

Yeah probably not that much, fans who were going to buy it will mostly all still buy it since they buy it for a reason - either they like to support the person or they want to collect the albums. Fans who are going to listen to it on streaming will likely still stream it once it comes out as you said its just more convenient and easier.

If will only really affect one time listeners who are only listening to it to see if they like anything. So it could affect the first week sales a bit from people who would have streamed it to check it who already heard it before.

The real damage it does is take control of the process and the power out of the key players’ hands, and that has to be very very frustrating for all involved.

When someone is many times over a millionaire like LDR, and Jack likely is, losing a few hundred thousand dollars is not going to hurt their purse or bottom line.

But they don’t have control over their own work, and that’s upsetting and anger-inducing.

does anyone else feel like jack's production kind of ...leaves you hanging? i noticed it in mac and now in season of the witch...it's like something's building and i'm waiting for a tempo change or for louder instruments to kick in and it never happens

Yeah, I've been having that thought with all the Jack-produced songs from this era so far.  Makes me wonder if that is more Lana's direction though, because Jack has obviously had a bunch of hits with other big artists - but all of these Lana songs feel super undercooked, and not much dynamic or punch.  I never liked Sublime so I kinda hate that Lana's cover of Doin' Time is my favorite thing of the era, but it's the best sounding song of the era (and Jack didn't do it).

26vMNDz.gif

Yeah, I've been having that thought with all the Jack-produced songs from this era so far. Makes me wonder if that is more Lana's direction though, because Jack has obviously had a bunch of hits with other big artists - but all of these Lana songs feel super undercooked, and not much dynamic or punch. I never liked Sublime so I kinda hate that Lana's cover of Doin' Time is my favorite thing of the era, but it's the best sounding song of the era (and Jack didn't do it).

Lol... Did u hear a banger called Venice bitch? mac and vb >>>> DT

Mmeow~

A lot of people here have been saying that for awhile. I think it’s a new stripped-back approach (and also ‘good taste’) in response to the messy, overcrowded, generally terrible production on LFL as a whole.

Jack probably said to LDR, “We can do so much better than that.”

Side note - is it an unpopular opinion that I think Lust for Life is Lana's best produced (best sounding) album?  It's not her best songwriting by a long shot (other than Heroin and In My Feelings) but to my ears everything sounds pretty dang flawless.  I always love the hip hop element with Lana's music, and (other than Doin' Time) it really seems to be missing in this era.

26vMNDz.gif

Side note - is it an unpopular opinion that I think Lust for Life is Lana's best produced (best sounding) album? It's not her best songwriting by a long shot (other than Heroin and In My Feelings) but to my ears everything sounds pretty dang flawless. I always love the hip hop element with Lana's music, and (other than Doin' Time) it really seems to be missing in this era.

I think honeymoon has the cleanest sound

Dan Auerbach and west coast remain unbothered forever. I really like a lot of what she's done with jack and it seems like they have a very enviable working relationship, but some things just can't be topped in terms of that explosive build-up imo

locals only

Dan Auerbach and west coast remain unbothered forever. I really like a lot of what she's done with jack and it seems like they have a very enviable working relationship, but some things just can't be topped in terms of that explosive build-up imo

agreed 100%