Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

what is the problem people are having with the lyrics?

Well she sorta harkens back to a better version of America, saying people only had to worry about children after dark. In reality, this safe version of America only ever existed for you if you were white, heterosexual and middle class. For a lot of us, the farther back you go in American history the worse things get. It’s the same kind of collective idea of a golden age of America that Trump promises to bring back

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

there is no purple one

the blue one can be bought at fnac, HMV and indie record stores seem to carry it as well

I definitely have seen a pink vinyl copy of the record

Just realized that was the UO Edition oop

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Well she sorta harkens back to a better version of America, saying people only had to worry about children after dark. In reality, this safe version of America only ever existed for you if you were white, heterosexual and middle class. For a lot of us, the farther back you go in American history the worse things get. It’s the same kind of collective idea of a golden age of America that Trump promises to bring back

I am unsure why you have to pick apart every metaphor she is putting together; except to insert your own division...

she is expressing that mass shootings were not once a major issue or worry for children/individuals lives (of all races, genders, sexualities, classes)  (going to the movie shouldn't create fear, or mall, or grocery) 

she obviously despises trump, she obviously loves the LGBT community and the fact you think that she doesn't is confusing... she loves this country because she was born here, and she is frustrated with the issues going on... she wants a different America, why do you think she is calculated for trying to do her best by donating money from the song to El Paso and Dayton?  

where can i find the other colored vinyls? Not the UO one or the green on on her website but the blue and purple ones?

translucent blue -

Norman Records: https://www.normanrecords.com/records/177705-lana-del-rey-norman-fucking-rockwell

Fnac: https://www.fnac.com/a13690467/Lana-Del-Rey-Norman-Fucking-Rockwell-Exclusivite-Fnac-Edition-Limitee-Vinyle-transparent-bleu-Vinyle-album

yes

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/lana-del-rey-nfr-limited-2xlp?color=066&size=0000

im so confused rn cuz 10'000 is a lot. maybe its just an error in their database but if it really sold out that quickly, then shes gonna debut high

When I checked if it was still in stock maybe yesterday or the day before it said it was meant to ship on the 19th of Sept (as opposed to saying the 30th when it first came out), maybe some will ship on release day and some will ship in staggered amounts after?

She really is coming for the numbers though, goddamn. 

locals only

I am unsure why you have to pick apart every metaphor she is putting together; except to insert your own division...

she is expressing that mass shootings were not once a major issue or worry for children/individuals lives (of all races, genders, sexualities, classes)  (going to the movie shouldn't create fear, or mall, or grocery) 

she obviously despises trump, she obviously loves the LGBT community and the fact you think that she doesn't is confusing... she loves this country because she was born here, and she is frustrated with the issues going on... she wants a different America, why do you think she is calculated for trying to do her best by donating money from the song to El Paso and Dayton?

Oh I don’t think she dislikes lgbt people and I definitely don’t think she’s being calculated! You misunderstand my point, I think she’s being genuine and although I don’t know her she seems like a caring person, I just think the lyrics are a bit short sighted and she’s a bit stuck in her own bubble, that’s all! Sorry if it came across inflammatory English isn’t my first language

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

idk guys when you gang up on someone for trying the net result isn't that they become perfect, its that they stop trying. I think criticism thats constructive can be really helpful. When she was wearing native american headdresses or romanticizing violence against women, I'm with you. But i don't see what's wrong with this particular move, i really don't. I'm very liberal, but I think sometimes fear that good intentions will get distorted by other liberals can be a barrier to entry for some people.

i can only find them on european shops weird 

she is expressing that mass shootings were not once a major issue or worry for children/individuals lives (of all races, genders, sexualities, classes) (going to the movie shouldn't create fear, or mall, or grocery)

Except mass shootings have been a thing for a long time, so you're proving the original point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/the-disturbing-link-between-modern-day-mass-shootings-and-slave-patrols/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_the_United_States

Ignoring this history is what people are taking issue with. This isn't inserting division, it's reflecting reality. Learning ab this sort of thing (a long standing culture of mass violence) is more helpful to stopping shootings than platitudes, road trips, and dreams.

Crap, I really wanted that pink vinyl but I told myself it wasn’t worth buying since the shipping is almost as much as the record and my bank account wouldn’t be especially happy if I would get a concert ticket on top of that. :crai: I hope they will be restocked in the future. :(

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Looking for America already getting excellent reviews from NYTimes, Rolling Stone, and Time (among others)

“Written on Monday, teased with a snippet on Instagram that same day, and then released in full on Friday, Lana Del Rey’s “Looking for America” is a rapid-response protest song — following a slew of mass shootings — from an artist whose tortured relationship to an idealized America has always been central to her persona. “Pulled over to watch the children in the park/We used to only worry for them after dark,” she sings, lightly vibrating with anger. What makes this protest so striking is that Del Rey sings about the country’s fall from grace (“I’m still looking for my own version of America/One without the gun, where the flag can freely fly”) with a convincing wistfulness, the sort that jingoists think is all their own.” The New York Times

“The song is as spare and simple as a Sixties folk epistle. Its theme of American travel and discovery evokes Simon and Garfunkel, her voice is as plaintively beautiful as Joan Baez’s, and her ability to turn grim news into potent art is on par with the Bob Dylan of “The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll” or “A Pawn in Their Game.” Those songs were recorded in response to racist violence during the Civil Rights era, chronicling moments of terror amid a rising tide of hope that America was on the verge of historic change and expanding promise. There’s hope in “Looking For America” too, but it’s growing faint, fading into a darkness we may never come out of.” Rolling Stone

“Lana Del Rey has rarely sounded so ethereal and angelic as on “Looking for America,” a lullaby of a song that hides in its delicate acoustic folds a deep melancholy and a timely, gentle protest. “Pulled over to watch the children in the park/ We  used to only worry for them after dark,” she sings. “I’m  still looking for my own version of America/ One without the gun, where the flag can freely fly.” It’s an indictment of the ongoing gun violence in the U.S., a mourner’s attempt at expressing grief. (She said that she wrote it just after the recent El Paso and Dayton attacks, with an assist from Jack Antonoff.) The song is a salve and an attempt at solidarity for a nation continuing to cope. And for Lana, whose artistic image has always been intricately tied to a mythologized Americana aesthetic, it’s a start at reckoning with the darkness she has often embraced.” Time magazine

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

:gclap:

People can get pressed like paninis at this hot take on the subject but it's an important shift in social discourse that we need to be seeing more of  :oprah3:  Maybe a Lana thread isn't the best medium for it, I'm sure we'd much rather be discussing the colour of the vinyl, but we can't be blamed for bringing it up when the queen mutha herself made it "political".  :whatever2:   

Everyone does not have to be "socially aware" thank god. Since out of your mouth it means "sticks to one ready-made dogma about society".

She's an artist ffs, she freely expresses feelings. It's not about writing a manifesto. She's not Karl Marx. 

Except mass shootings have been a thing for a long time, so you're proving the original point

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/the-disturbing-link-between-modern-day-mass-shootings-and-slave-patrols/

Ignoring this history is what people are taking issue with. This isn't inserting division, it's reflecting reality. Learning ab this sort of thing (a long standing culture of mass violence) is more helpful to stopping shootings than platitudes, road trips, and dreams.

holy shit...

she made a song that is wanting to express how she wishes America would change, should change, she wants to help, she is NOT a historian, she is NOT a Politician,

she is an individual singer

who writes her own music. she writes how she feels... she is not trying to brush off minorities by ignoring the facts of life...  

you cannot continually criticize someone for not speaking out on every single mass injustice simply because she spoke on another... that makes no sense whatsoever. 

Looking for America already getting excellent reviews from NYTimes, Rolling Stone, and Time (among others)

“Written on Monday, teased with a snippet on Instagram that same day, and then released in full on Friday, Lana Del Rey’s “Looking for America” is a rapid-response protest song — following a slew of mass shootings — from an artist whose tortured relationship to an idealized America has always been central to her persona. “Pulled over to watch the children in the park/We used to only worry for them after dark,” she sings, lightly vibrating with anger. What makes this protest so striking is that Del Rey sings about the country’s fall from grace (“I’m still looking for my own version of America/One without the gun, where the flag can freely fly”) with a convincing wistfulness, the sort that jingoists think is all their own.” The New York Times

“The song is as spare and simple as a Sixties folk epistle. Its theme of American travel and discovery evokes Simon and Garfunkel, her voice is as plaintively beautiful as Joan Baez’s, and her ability to turn grim news into potent art is on par with the Bob Dylan of “The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll” or “A Pawn in Their Game.” Those songs were recorded in response to racist violence during the Civil Rights era, chronicling moments of terror amid a rising tide of hope that America was on the verge of historic change and expanding promise. There’s hope in “Looking For America” too, but it’s growing faint, fading into a darkness we may never come out of.” Rolling Stone

“Lana Del Rey has rarely sounded so ethereal and angelic as on “Looking for America,” a lullaby of a song that hides in its delicate acoustic folds a deep melancholy and a timely, gentle protest. “Pulled over to watch the children in the park/ We  used to only worry for them after dark,” she sings. “I’m  still looking for my own version of America/ One without the gun, where the flag can freely fly.” It’s an indictment of the ongoing gun violence in the U.S., a mourner’s attempt at expressing grief. (She said that she wrote it just after the recent El Paso and Dayton attacks, with an assist from Jack Antonoff.) The song is a salve and an attempt at solidarity for a nation continuing to cope. And for Lana, whose artistic image has always been intricately tied to a mythologized Americana aesthetic, it’s a start at reckoning with the darkness she has often embraced.” Time magazine

Thank you so much for sharing these reviews, they made me so happy to read. <3

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I lost a friend at the Thousand Oaks Borderline shooting. Is it bad that I’m happy that she made this song? I’m really getting tired of the fake wokeness of some of y’all and as a leftist I think that’s saying something). We had 3 mass shootings in a week, like let the sis breathe.

sgopYhV.gif

I get your argument, but she's only a singer. Are you really frustrated at Lana Del Rey for not being able to reform gun laws? I understand how it can come off as tone deaf considering her privilege but the average person is not that well informed about the entire history of mass shootings in general. I doubt they taught that subject in depth in schools so can you really blame her. Regardless, I think its wrong to invalidate her feelings about the shootings just because she isn't well informed. The lyrics are written from the perspective of an average person who is understandably shaken. Yes, she's a celebrity but when it comes down to events like these, she's just a civilian like the rest of us. Even if the lyrics don't address the entire history of mass shootings, it does show a sense of awareness and willingness for things to change in light of recent events. I think that sentiment rises above any shallowness or superficiality that may be present in the lyrics.