Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Sorry to interrupt but isn’t Lana filming her 50’s Grease inspired video today? Her makeup artist posted on her IG story that she used red lips - it feels so long since we saw Lana with gorgeous, red lips. :flutter:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

kind of hard to jump into the topic of lyrics, but i don't expect someone to write about everything that's wrong in one song. it'd be too long and never ending. that's why there's multiple songs about multiple topics, some are used as distraction and dreaming and some are used for blunt discussion. it depends on the artist. however i also don't feel that each artist cover every single topic because most artists haven't had personal connection to the things that affect others and that's not their fault. if one person was expected to take on every single aspect of a society, they would collapse as a person and that isn't fair. the point is that she's adding to the discussion and saying something. it doesn't have to be everything, but it's something

i personally understand what i feel like her lyrics are speaking because i haven't personally been affected by a mass tragedy or something close to it. i'd rather her write from her own perspective and be hopeful than try to write from something she wouldn't understand. i'd rather add a side to the discussion than lie. lying is more hurtful to the cause.

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

Imagine being a Lana stan and believing a word out of her mouth in the year of our lord 2019.

Some light reading: http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/10658-lies-lana-has-told-us-thread/

I went to school in Dayton and most of my friends live there, and the Oregon district, the place the shooting happened, is a place I spend a lot of time at. So to have an emotional connection to, and to relate with this song.. I don’t think it’s a reach to consider her as being nothing less than genuine and hurt. If you don’t like the message don’t listen, but to me it means a LOT. Especially the proceeds being donated. 

holy shit...

she made a song that is wanting to express how she wishes America would change, should change, she wants to help, she is NOT a historian, she is NOT a Politician,

she is an individual singer

who writes her own music. she writes how she feels... she is not trying to brush off minorities by ignoring the facts of life...  

you cannot continually criticize someone for not speaking out on every single mass injustice simply because she spoke on another... that makes no sense whatsoever. 

yeah see youre missing the point.  i juuuust said i dont want anything from Lana.  i am commenting on her song, i'm not demanding action or anything from her.  besides - im criticizing her for speaking out on an issue in a vapid shallow way that doesnt reflect the actual issue and in fact plays into far right narratives that fuel mass violence like this.  and she's not gonna see what i said, so its actually just you who has an issue with even reading my perspective.  i guess its easier to just pretend everything is cute. glad youre comfortable enough to do so  :hooker:

I get your argument, but she's only a singer. Are you really frustrated at Lana Del Rey for not being able to reform gun laws? I understand how it can come off as tone deaf considering her privilege but the average person is not that well informed about the entire history of mass shootings in general. I doubt they taught that subject in depth in schools so can you really blame her. Regardless, I think its wrong to invalidate her feelings about the shootings just because she isn't well informed. The lyrics are written from the perspective of an average person who is understandably shaken. Yes, she's a celebrity but when it comes down to events like these, she's just a civilian like the rest of us. Even if the lyrics don't address the entire history of mass shootings, it does show a sense of awareness and willingness for things to change in light of recent events. I think that sentiment rises above any shallowness or superficiality that may be present in the lyrics.

re-read what i said bc i literally jsut said i dont expect anything from Lana, and that i prefer a song to a manifesto lol.  she's trying, great.  i'm just sharing my opinion, not trying to force anyone to agree with me, or force Lana to be more "woke."  but im with you on her just trying to be helpful or whatever, and that's great, and that shes donating proceeds.

if literally just mentioning the history of mass violence in america is "fake wokeness" then DAMN some of yall must really be sheltered af.

kinda want to remind some of you that suggesting people care about things in order to be 'fake woke' because caring about things is 'inherently bad' is some 4chan incel bullshit too that feeds into the rhetoric which creates things such as mass shooters and an emboldened far right due to the suggestion people caring about others welfare is somehow 'unnatural' and you're ultimately shitting on yourself, particularly if you're part of a marginalised group so good luck with that

AAaaaah say it louder for the fake stans in the back 

i love how i missed 40 pages in 24 hours but im here for page 3000  :hooker:

can someone update me? i know about the release of LFA and SOTW

Saw on Twitter that both songs made it to #15 and #14 on iTunes WW. :) Nothing much has happened otherwise I think. UO vinyls have sold out.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Honestly I think a song would be better than a manifesto from Lana - but if it rings as vapid as her lyricism or poetry, i don't think the world needs it fr. Like Lana's profiting off of people's misplaced emotions around society crumbling and it all just seems so shallow

"We used to only worry about the children at night " -- who's kids? Just the rich white debutantes in pink dresses? Not homeless gay kids on the street, not immigrant children ripped from parents and kept in state custody under armed guard (oh my, guns!), not child laborers abroad sewing shitty merch!

Does Lana "believe in the country America used to be" as in like MAGA or before white Invaders committed genocide against the indigenous people there? (With guns!!)

If only we could all jus sit straight christian white rich and pretty in our Norman fucking Rockwell painting lives and fly the American flag at the 4th of July barbeque and watch fireworks and ignore the bloodshed (from guns!) that vacated the land so the concrete patio could get poured.

Lana can playfully run from cops in Venice Bitch video with no worry, it's just fun with the neighborhood kids! Just be privileged enough and you don't have to worry ab the cops shooting you (with guns!)

Let's just fly the flag and shoot fireworks and ignore all this, and ignore anything that might actually help America confront its culture of violence. It's just a dream I had in mind!

If Lana wants to make a statement so blatantly vapid and ignorant, honestly she should keep it to herself. She's not helping anyone do anything but center her own first world issues and ignore reality.

How twisted are you to think this way..? If everyone acts the way you do, would there actually be someone who can offer help? How do you call yourself a fan and be present in this website after saying this one hell of a mess? I understand what you're trying to say but it's not it.

I get your argument, but she's only a singer. Are you really frustrated at Lana Del Rey for not being able to reform gun laws? I understand how it can come off as tone deaf considering her privilege but the average person is not that well informed about the entire history of mass shootings in general. I doubt they taught that subject in depth in schools so can you really blame her. Regardless, I think its wrong to invalidate her feelings about the shootings just because she isn't well informed. The lyrics are written from the perspective of an average person who is understandably shaken. Yes, she's a celebrity but when it comes down to events like these, she's just a civilian like the rest of us. Even if the lyrics don't address the entire history of mass shootings, it does show a sense of awareness and willingness for things to change in light of recent events. I think that sentiment rises above any shallowness or superficiality that may be present in the lyrics.

Couldn’t have said it better. She’s one person. We all have our own visions of a perfect society. To lana her perfect America is when there were red whites and blues in the sky and there was no worry about going out into the world and to just LIVE. she can’t cover the whole history of America and take into consideration EVERY SINGLE THING that was going on back then. She was devastated by what happened and just wanted to write about how she wishes America could be back to her version of peace.

giphy.gif

I never understood the appeal of a theater premiere. Like... a bunch of LA gays would watch the video a couple hours before us, what difference does it make?

Unless the premiere is like Melanie Martinez and there’s shows across the world that you can go to in cinemas.

giphy.gif

for real? wow never thought it'd sold out 

appr now i have something rare :creep: btw guys my order status says back order, what does that mean? is it succeed ?

Back order just means that they’re gonna wait to mail it until the album is actually released. You’re all good. I was skeptical too at first until I looked it up.

giphy.gif

That's true, many people are privileged enough to not have to care  ^_^

Lol, is it about privilege though? Most artists are poor and thank god once again, they are not "socially aware" as in your terms.

Art is much more interesting when it's about expressing the uniqueness of their caracter through their feelings and their own perception of life. 

yeah see youre missing the point.  i juuuust said i dont want anything from Lana.  i am commenting on her song, i'm not demanding action or anything from her.  besides - im criticizing her for speaking out on an issue in a vapid shallow way that doesnt reflect the actual issue and in fact plays into far right narratives that fuel mass violence like this.  and she's not gonna see what i said, so its actually just you who has an issue with even reading my perspective.  i guess its easier to just pretend everything is cute. glad youre comfortable enough to do so  :hooker:

re-read what i said bc i literally jsut said i dont expect anything from Lana, and that i prefer a song to a manifesto lol.  she's trying, great.  i'm just sharing my opinion, not trying to force anyone to agree with me, or force Lana to be more "woke."  but im with you on her just trying to be helpful or whatever, and that's great, and that shes donating proceeds.

if literally just mentioning the history of mass violence in america is "fake wokeness" then DAMN some of yall must really be sheltered af.

don't forget that we only exist within dichotomies to a lot of people on this website.

criticising lana means 

"being angry"

"expecting her to be a politician"

"feeling owed"

"not appreciating the donations from this song"

"not being a fan"

"bitching"

"expecting her to be woke and have a politics degree"

"analysing anything deeper than a shallow rock pool is pretending to care"

just wanna say i think LFA is a sweet song. i think the fact she's donating proceeds is great, doesn't mean we can't look at it and how it relates to everything culturally though. in her own way she's encouraging that herself 

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

Lol, is it about privilege though? Most artists are poor and thank god once again, they are not "socially aware" as in your terms.

Art is much more interesting when it's about expressing the uniqueness of their caracter through their feelings and their own perception of life. 

Many artists that are poor, actually poor, tend to be politically active and art is inseparable from politics given art's long history of being sponsored by patrons who had political motives behind what they commissioned and yes, choosing not to be socially or politically aware is in itself a political stance as there is no neutral ground to take and silence is its own form of rhetoric 

but anyway nearly at 3000 girlies! 4000 by aug 30th?

locals only