Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

this is what i mean when i tell you that you only like lana when she does ~vintage tumblerish edgy songs

y’all just want to feel superior to others just cause you can listen to a slow song ugh the pretentiousness jumped out

Lana's songs haven't been tumblr since like BTD / Paradise - I like her uptempo tracks too, OTTR, FK and SB (even if lyrically it's weak).

I would welcome trap Lana, as long as she collaborated with artists that suited her aesthetic (are we forgetting she built her career on a character/brand?) and as long as the beats were well produced and not like Coachella  :facepalm:

this is what i mean when i tell you that you only like lana when she does ~vintage tumblerish edgy songs

y’all just want to feel superior to others just cause you can listen to a slow song ugh the pretentiousness jumped out

sis she's known for her vintage-y style and has been serving this for 8 years now  :biblio: it makes zero sense to say people only like lana when she does this when she has been serving literally just this since her debut, it's her aesthetic. not wanting her to collab with mgk or whataver has nothing to do with her doing something other than "vintage tumblerish edgy songs" (which i don't think she will NOT do) but go off...

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

all i mean is stop being so annoying and pretentious and trust lana, for once. stop using the “i don’t want another uncohesive l4l 2.0 album!!1!1!” cause she never repeated herself in her discography, so why worrying so much now?

sis she's known for her vintage-y style and has been serving this for 8 years now :biblio: it makes zero sense to say people only like lana when she does this when she has been serving literally just this since her debut, it's her aesthetic. not wanting her to collab with mgk or whataver has nothing to do with her doing something other than "vintage tumblerish edgy songs" (which i don't think she will NOT do) but go off...

the fact that she’s doing this for a long time doesn’t mean she cant change her style and try somethinng new whenever she feels like it. you only like lana when she sticks to that “vintage persona” she created years ago, as soon as y’all see her doing something different y’all start to riot and hate on everything. this happened during the pre release of l4l, happened when we found out she worked with jack and is now happening too cause you don’t want her to be “trap” as if she ever did something that’s actually real trap lmao but whatever

all i mean is stop being so annoying and pretentious and trust lana, for once. stop using the “i don’t want another uncohesive l4l 2.0 album!!1!1!” cause she never repeated herself in her discography, so why worrying so much now?

I think it's fair to show concern, considering how Lust For Life panned out (her last record) - she had a very clear vision and was very particular about how the record would have an acoustic and folk feel... Repeatedly mentioning songs like Yosemite and Tomorrow Never Came as blueprints for the project. Then suddenly half of the album's production was trap or at least trap influenced and had numerous and often unnecessary collaborations.

So when she announced Mariners Apartment Complex and Venice Bitch and described the album as stripped and folk with surf rock elements - but then is in the studio with a rapper like Machine Gun Kelly and was spotted earlier in the process with Wiz Khalifa, then I think it's fair to show concern and be prepared that the album may have changed in direction - but it may not have. The snippets we have received thus far have been stellar and I'm excited to hear those songs in full, however again it is okay to be uncertain or cautious after the number of snippets and songs that were teased and ultimately scrapped during the Lust For Life era.

I agree that we should trust Lana's instincts and wait til the body of work is released in full until we dismiss it - however I think it would be more comforting or reassuring had there been a cohesive and classic Lana preceding this release. I myself am guilty of overreacting and assuming the album will be poor compared to her earlier efforts and I know now I shouldn't have been so hasty.

We'll have to wait and see.

I've always wanted Lana to collab with Kanye but I'm guessing that's not happening anytime soon  :toofunny:  :toofunny:   other than that I really don't see who else could collab with her other than The Weeknd or A$ap Rocky. I can see maybe Jay-Z 

sgopYhV.gif

I've always wanted Lana to collab with Kanye but I'm guessing that's not happening anytime soon :toofunny: :toofunny: other than that I really don't see who else could collab with her other than The Weeknd or A$ap Rocky. I can see maybe Jay-Z

Kendrick Lamar, Tyler The Creator

giphy.gif

Didn't Lana used to say she loved and was inspired by the masters of every genre? Then why is she collabing with the mediocres of every genre? wow, she really is a gemini huh

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

I've always wanted Lana to collab with Kanye but I'm guessing that's not happening anytime soon :toofunny: :toofunny: other than that I really don't see who else could collab with her other than The Weeknd or A$ap Rocky. I can see maybe Jay-Z

didn’t jay z make a remix with video games or something? i remember a thing like that but maybe i’m tripping

anyways, i will stop caring about what y’all think on here and let you vent all you want since anyone can do whatever they want on a forum lmao it’s not that deep. but i will still think that we need to wait before we start hating on everything just because i know lana knows what she’s doing and the album is probably end up good anyways, so yeah, i’m relaxed and ready for nfr

I think as an artist she is quite self-conflicting... She built up the character of Lana Del Rey (Ray pre-2011) and personified her music to give us this music she described as "hollywood sadcore", everything was exaggerated and at times thrilling - living up to her gangster Nancy Sinatra persona.

However she slowly started to dismantle the brand she had created and shifted (I believe this began with Honeymoon) into a more sophisticated and almost surreal soundscape - leaving behind the Bonnie and Clyde ideology and replacing the harsher hip-hop influences with softer and more subtle trap instrumentation; she mastered this with High By The Beach and The Blackest Day. And it is at this time that I believe she should've began working with artists like Stevie Nicks and Sean Ono Lennon if she had the desire to collaborate - they were much more fitting to the aesthetic she was trying to present.

And I believe that Lust For Life was going to follow in the footsteps of Honeymoon and explore this new found direction - however for some reason she brought back the hip-hop influences and Born To Die style production (especially White Mustang and Summer Bummer) and then began collaborating with rappers. Personally, it felt like a step backwards and I don't know whether she herself just felt she needed to work with these people, because she'd always wanted to, or if instead it was an attempt or desire to win back fans after the negativity towards Honeymoon.

Basically, it's strange to me that once again she may have that desire to stop progressing and developing her artistry and instead fall back on the hip-hop/trap records and collaborate with rappers - a style that ultimately doesn't feel genuine to the Lana Del Rey of 2018.