Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,019 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

When Lana sings "I'm facing the greatest loss of them all" she's talking about planet earth and thats that on that.

Change-My-Mind.jpg

I feel like its just everything going to shit, including her self and her experiences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB1G54J0QFQ

Everyone needs to go watch this review of NFR! This man is so descriptive and goes so in-depth with all the tracks and the album at large. Check him out! He's a pretty small channel

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

I feel like its just everything going to shit, including her self and her experiences

My interpretation of The Greatest is that planet earth it's on its final hours and it's going to fucking explode a la Doctor Who season 1 episode 2 teas and she's looking back at how great her life on that planet was while she's on a rocket on her way to mars, which is now colonized by humans  :flutter:

"Don't leave me I just need a wake up call" every year we get warnings from the planet itself regarding how poorly we're treating it, from tsunamis to earthquakes to fires, and in that line she sings about wanting just one more so humanity will finally realize how serious global warming and climate change is and how we should start to take action.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

How to disappear is the song that gets me to stay on my phone in the middle of listening to the album lmao. I get right back into it with California fortunately 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

My dad called me and says he’s listened to a few songs. “I listened to the song with a curse in the title. Actually the album title has a curse word in it too! Her voice is amazing as always, it’s very good.”

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

Hope really is her saddest song to date. Like I just can’t listen to it. I used to but now that I got better.. I just can’t :defeated: the album ends with Happiness Is A Butterfly for me

I pretend I’m not hurt and go about the world like I’m having fun

I think this album might be my favorite, and objectively, it's definitely her best. She's ironed out all of her other weaknesses that were in her past albums. None of her albums sound this mature or refined. There aren't any fillers, and I'm finding it hard to choose just one, or even two, favorites off the album because it's so strong. 

I have no qualms about AKA. I love how unique and fun it is, and I think it's a strong album, but it is a tiny bit forgettable sometimes. BTD had really strong singles, but the rest of the album was kinda messy and immature sounding. UV is great, but it's just so dark that it's hard for me to really listen to anymore. I have to be in a mood for that album. Honeymoon was also very good and not as dark as UV, but it was rare that I ever got past The Blackest Day because it's just tiring for me. I liked LFL a lot when it came out because it was lighter, but now it just seems like a messy hodge-podge. It isn't cohesive and kinda sounds immature compared to UV and Honeymoon. I do think though that LFL showed a necessary experimentation where she played with new sounds and old sounds and it got refined to what it is in NFR.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

There are so many lyrics that just are so damn emotional. Maybe not her best lyrics, but lines that just hit hard...

«I would like to think that will stick around» in Love Song  :defeated: 
«If this is it, I'm signing off»  :defeated:  :defeated: 
«You're brighter than the brightest star»  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated: 
«I'm hearing one thing  now I'm hearing another»  :defeated:

The new lyrics for BAR are welcome change to the song and show how mature she has become over the years. She no longer blames her lover solely for the failure of their relationship. She takes the same part of the blame and shows her sympathy towards her ex. He might be an asshole, a narciss  and a loser on surface. But she sees through him, his inner beauty. She wasnt strong enough to keep up with his mood before but she is strong enough to carry him now, to be his support Its really a nice change of perspective. From the weak hurt girl that needed to be carried by her man to the strong person that can be the saving boat for others.

For whatever reason, I woke up today hearing this album with new clarity and wow its hitting me all over again.

The greatest is really a classic song that I know I'm still going to be crazy about in years, same with Venice Bitch, Norman Fucking Rockwell, and Love Song...

It's crazy how good this record is.

I don't know if many people have seen this review/reaction - he gets quite a few of the details wrong, but it's fascinating watching somebody experience Lana for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv7hmZxXGU0

ill watch it right now!

One thing I'm just loving about the record is how fresh and clear her voice sounds. I love the atmosphere that the echoes and reverb creates with her past works, but I just love that this evokes a new, and different feeling

My favorite lines from each song:

- Why wait for the best when I could have you?

- You lose your way, just take my hand // You’re lost at sea, then I’ll command your boat to me again // Don’t look to far, right where you are, that’s where I am! // I’m your man (ok I’m aware that’s more than a line but it’s just too good!)

- If you weren’t mine I’d be jealous of your love

- It turns out everywhere you go, you take yourself, it’s not a lie

- (I feel like skipping DT since the lyrics isn’t hers but oh well) Oh, take this veil from off my eyes // My burning sun will someday rise

- Now I’m here with you and // I would like to think that you would stick around

- There’s things I wanna say to you, but I’ll just let you live

- I’m always going to be right here // No one’s going anywhere

- I wanted to reach out, but I never said a thing

- He was 70’s in spirit, 90’s in his frame of mind

- L.A. is in flames, it’s getting hot // Kanye West is blond and gone // “Life on Mars” ain’t just a song // Oh, the livestream’s almost on

- Playing games of levitation, meditating in the garden

- I said, don’t be a jerk, don’t call me a taxi // Sitting in your sweatshirt, crying in the backseat

- Don’t ask if I’m happy, you know that I’m not // But at best, I can say I’m not sad

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png