Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I kind of like bird world, it’s very sixties. She should’ve saved that title and kept it to herself and used it later.

I desperately want to know what the thought process was behind it.

It sounds like it might've been inspired by Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" or some shit, which I would've been soooo here for.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

dude fantano was so fucking happy he enjoyed the album and avoided the backlash he gets from lana stans after every album review he seemed genuinely relieved

But WHY should he (or anyone for that matter) get a backlash even if he didn't Like the album??? That's his right!  I think people have lost the plot; it's like a dictatorship! 

ђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшччччччччччччччћћћћћћћћћћћћжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжж--------------------њњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕџџџџџџџџџццццццццццццццц.

But WHY should he (or anyone for that matter) get a backlash even if he didn't Like the album??? That's his right!  I think people have lost the plot; it's like a dictatorship! 

We can only go by what she tweeted but I think sis is sick of the same old "persona" authenticity bullshit.

The "undercooked" comment, though ... I mean if sis is seriously upset because someone said her lyrics aren't as good as Joni Mitchell's and she thinks that they are, then uh ... that's concerning.

To be fair, it's going both ways.

I, and others, defended sis without using insults, and by attacking the article rather than the author, and the consensus from all of her PhD-toting pals is that we, and sis, are stupid, entitled millennials who take can't criticism, etc. As in, we must be wrong because we're not 45.

What I still don't understand is why anyone would go on a reviewers twitter and attack/complain about someones review/opinion! They are entitled to their opinion without being attacked! The review isn't even particularly negative!  It's long and rambling but there's a lot of positive stuff in it.  Nothing wrong with saying you disagree and explaining why you like the album etc, but to attack, insult etc is absurd. For those who did that, then perhaps there is some truth in this "entitled millennials who take can't criticism, etc".

We can only go by what she tweeted but I think sis is sick of the same old "persona" authenticity bullshit.

The "undercooked" comment, though ... I mean if sis is seriously upset because someone said her lyrics aren't as good as Joni Mitchell's and she thinks that they are, then uh ... that's concerning.

I agree with you, but I understand more why she would be upset. It's her work that's being critiqued so it's personal.  But for fans to think they should take it upon themselves to abuse the reviewer on behalf of Lana is patronising and inappropriate in my opinion.

Sb6tHLC.png

I’m- :rip:

giphy.gif

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

The review was pretty snobbish and it was the same old shit that mostly focussed on Lana herself and her artist image.

Her saying she never used a personas is as bs as her saying she did not have plastic surgery. However, it's shitty that reviews tend to focus on this stuff instead of ACTUALLY focussing on the music.

Those condescending pseudo-intelectual reviews are boring and prove how unqualified the journalist is to actually review music.

But then ... insulting and attacking her because of a review? Wow, that's pathetic. And Lana should not encourage this kind of behaviour.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I don’t think lana thinks her lyrics are as good as Joni Mitchell’s but that she’s tried of constantly being compared to her influences. It’s constantly pointed out that she’ll never be as good as her influences. Lana’s probably sick of it. She’s not an uncooked Joni Mitchell, because she is a completely different artist that makes completely different music. I know she has constantly brought up Joni and ladies of the canyon this era, but she never said she was trying to emulate Joni.

The review was pretty snobbish and it was the same old shit that mostly focussed on Lana herself and her artist image.

Her saying she never used a personas is as bs as her saying she did not have plastic surgery. However, it's shitty that reviews tend to focus on this stuff instead of ACTUALLY focussing on the music.

Those condescending pseudo-intelectual reviews are boring and prove how unqualified the journalist is to actzally review music.

But then ... insulting and attacking her because of a review? Wow, that's pathetic. Amd Lana should not encourage this kind of behaviour.

I agree with everything you say here.

Alexa play Joni Fucking Mitchell!

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

I don’t think lana thinks her lyrics are as good as Joni Mitchell’s but that she’s tried of constantly being compared to her influences. It’s constantly pointed out that she’ll never be as good as her influences. Lana’s probably sick of it. She’s not an uncooked Joni Mitchell, because she is a completely different artist that makes completely different music. I know she has constantly brought up Joni and ladies of the canyon this era, but she never said she was trying to emulate Joni.

Agreed, and that was one of my biggest problems with that article. It just seemed so superfluous and pretentious to spend 498572309572390572 words comparing her to Joni, Tori, Leonard, and 55 other people.

The whole point of sis is that she isn't quite like anyone else, and I don't think she is trying to be. So the woman who wrote it might be a highbrow academic, but she still completely missed the point, imo. As @@longtimeman said on the other thread, it really seemed like the author brought up all these other artists just to demonstrate her musical knowledge, but there was no reason to do so.

There was also no reason to give readers an itemised list of the rubbish at Venice Beach, but she did that, too. As I said, pretentious and superfluous.

And as I said, there are plenty of people - on both sides - hurling insults rather than thoughtfully-constructed arguments. Mess.

Wouldn’t be surprised if she types up an apology on her notes app on her iPhone and posts it to Twitter tmrw lmao I honestly don’t think there was a problem with what Ann Powers wrote, even though I disagree with some of the remarks she made, it was clearly a really well thought out, insightful review into the album and Lana’s artistry. I guess she took it too personally :-(

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

does anybody else have a few odd lyrics they wish they could alter on NFR??? i mean i know lana is the artist and i'm merely the listener  :hooker:  but there's a few little things i really wish i could alter

like in HTD: "you just crack another beer and pretend that you're still here" - the song is all about escapism and disappearing, so wouldn't it make more sense for the lyrics to be "you just crack another beer and pretend that you're not here"?

and in FIILY, i know it's super picky but: "i used to shoot up my veins in the arm, and shit's even brighter you're gone" i'd prefer if it was worded as "i used to shoot up my veins in the arm, it's brighter now that you're gone" idk it's not important lmao

oh and Bartender: "but sometimes girls just want to have fun"; in the verse prior she's already talking about girls having fun, there's nothing to dispute, so why the "but"??? surely it would make more sense as "cause sometimes girls just want to have fun" idk i'm being mad extra hahaha 

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Wouldn’t be surprised if she types up an apology on her notes app on her iPhone and posts it to Twitter tmrw lmao 

My friend and I were saying that earlier. 

It's such a shame she didn't just do her live stream and shut up. 

And I still wanna know why she deleted that "thank you" video on insta. I reckon she fucked up the maths about the streaming and felt embarrassed or some shit. 

Such a sensitive sis. 

does anybody else have a few odd lyrics they wish they could alter on NFR??? i mean i know lana is the artist and i'm merely the listener  :hooker:  but there's a few little things i really wish i could alter

like in HTD: "you just crack another beer and pretend that you're still here" - the song is all about escapism and disappearing, so wouldn't it make more sense for the lyrics to be "you just crack another beer and pretend that you're not here"?

and in FIILY, i know it's super picky but: "i used to shoot up my veins in the arm, and shit's even brighter you're gone" i'd prefer if it was worded as "i used to shoot up my veins in the arm, it's brighter now that you're gone" idk it's not important lmao

oh and Bartender: "but sometimes girls just want to have fun"; in the verse prior she's already talking about girls having fun, there's nothing to dispute, so why the "but"??? surely it would make more sense as "cause sometimes girls just want to have fun" idk i'm being mad extra hahaha

Idk what it’d change it to but I kinda hate that the first song on the fucking album opens with the line “goddamn manchild, you fucked me so good that I almost said I love you.” As a whole NFR (the song) is fine enough but that line has made me cringe since she first teased it on insta. I’d also change TNBAR’s lyrics to the original lyrics from the older version

8LQ1.gif